Dake Bible Discussion BoardIs there a literal Hell?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Post Reply

Is there a literal Hell?

Yes
6
86%
No
1
14%
 
Total votes: 7

User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5787
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by branham1965 » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:18 pm

Reverend Dake called it soul sleep.

And he said that false cults teach it.

I do not agree with some of the SDA stuff.There are fine people in the SDA.
luchnia wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:08 pm
branham1965 wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:45 pm
I do not believe as these folks do.I know a few 7th Day Adventists that teach there is no Hell.
What folks are you referring to, or are you referring to the 7th Day Adventists that you don't believe as they do?

I am not sure that anyone that post on this forum believes there is no hell. I would wager that most do. They may not agree on how all of it is carried out as well as other details.



rstrats
Mark
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by rstrats » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:00 am

Spiritblade Disciple,
re: "Have you looked into the Greek underlying the phrase 'for ever and ever' in the various places the phrase is used in the New Testament?"

I think I may have a number of years ago, but since the phrase "for ever and ever" with regard to torture is never used in scripture to apply to anyone other than the devil (as the KJV has it) I probably didn't pay much attention to it.



User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4221
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 am

rstrats wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:00 am
Spiritblade Disciple,
re: "Have you looked into the Greek underlying the phrase 'for ever and ever' in the various places the phrase is used in the New Testament?"

I think I may have a number of years ago, but since the phrase "for ever and ever" with regard to torture is never used in scripture to apply to anyone other than the devil (as the KJV has it) I probably didn't pay much attention to it.
Interesting observation, rstrats. One that seemingly not many make.

This isn't the exact phrase, but it is often used to support the idea that Hell never ends.
"And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."
Matthew 25:46 KJV
https://bible.com/bible/1/mat.25.46.KJV
If the punishment is "everlasting," doesn't that mean that it is without end or eternal?


SPIRITBLADE DISCIPLE
— Luke 12:4-5 King James Version —
"And I say unto you My friends, be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear Him, which after He hath killed hath power to cast into Hell; yea, I say unto you, fear Him."

rstrats
Mark
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:34 pm

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by rstrats » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 am

Spiritblade,
re: "'And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.' If the punishment is 'everlasting' doesn't that mean that it is without end or eternal? "


That would seem to be the case. Now the next thing is to determine what the "punishment" being mentioned is. There are those who say the punishment is torture 24/7 for eternity. But those folks who interpret it that way must want it to mean that because there is nothing being said in the verse that requires that interpretation. On the other hand, there are those who say the punishment is death for eternity based on the scripture that says the wages of sin is death. And the last part of the verse seems to bear that out. The righteous receive eternal life which seems to contrast that with what the unrighteous will receive, i.e., eternal non-life or death. However, the first group have the unrighteous also receiving eternal life so they can be tortured non-stop forever.



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5787
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by branham1965 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:47 am

No one has the right to "turn the hose on Hell."

One man was said to have done this 100 years ago.But he did not.

Jesus said there is a Hell and that there is a flame in Hell.

He said punishment there is as eternal and everlasting as Heaven is.

John said the smoke of their torment ascendeth up and they have no rest day or night.
And i dare not change a word of it cause i don't like the idea!!!


It is in the Word. Page 619 of the Dake Bible has a entire section on Hell.



User avatar
luchnia
The Lord Jesus Christ Has Received All Power in Heaven and in Earth
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 am

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by luchnia » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:30 pm

rstrats wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 am
Spiritblade,
re: "'And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.' If the punishment is 'everlasting' doesn't that mean that it is without end or eternal? "


That would seem to be the case. Now the next thing is to determine what the "punishment" being mentioned is.
This is the challenge because the scriptures do not state the level of detail needed to answer. All we can do is speculate which may or may not not make it so. I speculate many things in the Bible, yet I am careful not to make that into a doctrine and force it on others as matter-of-fact truth.

Truth is we have very little clue as to many things that will occur. It is like we have glimpses of the partial picture of many things. Reminds me of looking through a small hole and you can only see part of things. Once you are able to view through a larger portal you quickly become amazed at what you did not see.

I am often perplexed at how easily we can make verses mean something that is simply not there.


Word up!

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 4221
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:32 pm

rstrats wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 am
Spiritblade,
re: "'And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.' If the punishment is 'everlasting' doesn't that mean that it is without end or eternal? "


That would seem to be the case. Now the next thing is to determine what the "punishment" being mentioned is. There are those who say the punishment is torture 24/7 for eternity. But those folks who interpret it that way must want it to mean that because there is nothing being said in the verse that requires that interpretation. On the other hand, there are those who say the punishment is death for eternity based on the scripture that says the wages of sin is death. And the last part of the verse seems to bear that out. The righteous receive eternal life which seems to contrast that with what the unrighteous will receive, i.e., eternal non-life or death. However, the first group have the unrighteous also receiving eternal life so they can be tortured non-stop forever.
Interesting thoughts, rstrats.

I disagree with the idea that if the unrighteous are tormented forever that they have eternal life. To me, consciously existing forever does not constitute experiencing eternal life. For me, only those that know God the Father and God the Son have eternal life.
John 17:3 King James Version
"And THIS IS LIFE ETERNAL, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent."
Regardless of how long an individual does or does not exist, they do not have eternal life if they do not know the Father and the Son.


SPIRITBLADE DISCIPLE
— Luke 12:4-5 King James Version —
"And I say unto you My friends, be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear Him, which after He hath killed hath power to cast into Hell; yea, I say unto you, fear Him."

User avatar
Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by Ironman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:03 pm

deleted, double post.
Last edited by Ironman on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

User avatar
Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by Ironman » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:06 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:32 pm
rstrats wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 am
Spiritblade,
re: "'And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.' If the punishment is 'everlasting' doesn't that mean that it is without end or eternal? "


That would seem to be the case. Now the next thing is to determine what the "punishment" being mentioned is. There are those who say the punishment is torture 24/7 for eternity. But those folks who interpret it that way must want it to mean that because there is nothing being said in the verse that requires that interpretation. On the other hand, there are those who say the punishment is death for eternity based on the scripture that says the wages of sin is death. And the last part of the verse seems to bear that out. The righteous receive eternal life which seems to contrast that with what the unrighteous will receive, i.e., eternal non-life or death. However, the first group have the unrighteous also receiving eternal life so they can be tortured non-stop forever.
Interesting thoughts, rstrats.

I disagree with the idea that if the unrighteous are tormented forever that they have eternal life. To me, consciously existing forever does not constitute experiencing eternal life. For me, only those that know God the Father and God the Son have eternal life.
John 17:3 King James Version
"And THIS IS LIFE ETERNAL, that they might know Thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom Thou hast sent."
Regardless of how long an individual does or does not exist, they do not have eternal life if they do not know the Father and the Son.

So Lucifer, according to your understanding, all the sinning angels who follow him, the Antichrist, and all sinners who worship him, will simply cease to exist when Jesus throws them into a burning eternal Hell? I dont believe that for one second.


Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5787
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Is there a literal Hell?

Post by branham1965 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:14 pm

That is the old Adventist - Soul Sleeper trick.

I do not buy it for a second.


See the Dake Bible under "where are the dead?" page 619 of the Old Testament.



Post Reply