Dake Bible Discussion BoardMartin Luther

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Martin Luther

Post by branham1965 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 pm

It did not sound like you. I was just kidding about.

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:Not likely...
branham1965 wrote:+ummm "At this point...."

Are you saying you might start such a practice??? :mrgreen: :lol!:

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
scottae316 wrote:To my knowledge, Luther and most of the other reformers still held to infant baptism. Although the vast majority here disagree (I didn’t say all because I don’t know every single persons opinion so...) It was only those who were part of the anabaptist movement that opposed infant baptism.

Having studied both sides of the issue to my own satisfaction, I think I understand why each side holds their opinion. Honestly, I think infant baptism is a beautiful thing; a true picture of unmerited grace since the child is incapable of contributing anything toward their salvation, at that point.

I haven't investigated the Anabaptists of the time of Luther to my own satisfaction, yet. I have read that they supposedly held to some heretical beliefs of their own, but I've been unable to confirm. And, the stories I've read of them breaking into Catholic and Lutheran churches and desecrating the Eucharist. At this point, I could not imagine doing something like that. Yet, today, there are numerous videos online of people carrying out such acts.

scottae316
Make the Most High Thy Habitation

Post by scottae316 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:15 am

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
scottae316 wrote:On matters essential unity, in matters nonessential diversity, in all things charity.
That's a nice sentiment, but it usually means that there's disagreement over what the essentials are. Baptism is an essential, I would think. After all, it's part of the principle doctrines listed in Hebrews 6:1-2. Hard to go on to perfection while disagreeing about the foundation.

How can two work together to build upon that foundation if they disagree over the foundation?
I think the bigger question or point is do we need more discussion about baptism in the context of Hebrews 6. I think the author of Hebrews 6 is stating that we no longer need to debate if we should baptize, the question is settled and yes is the answer. I don’t see any instruction on how or when to baptize, just confirmation to baptize.

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:10 pm

scottae316 wrote:I think the bigger question or point is do we need more discussion about baptism in the context of Hebrews 6. I think the author of Hebrews 6 is stating that we no longer need to debate if we should baptize, the question is settled and yes is the answer. I don’t see any instruction on how or when to baptize, just confirmation to baptize.
That's definitely a different way of looking at it... Looking at it that way, whether it was infant baptism or believer's baptism would not matter. Either one would count as having been baptized. For that matter, sprinking, pouring, dunking, thrice dunking... It's all good... Doesn't matter if it was only in Jesus' Name or by Trinitarian formula... Or for that matter, why not in the name of St. Mark or by the power of an allosaurus!

I think the Hebrews to which Hebrews 6 was written had already been instructed in the details concerning baptism and how to perform it. To assume that the doctrine didn't include those details leaves a lot open to imagination.

"Behold, He cometh with clouds; and EVERY EYE SHALL SEE HIM, and they also which pierced Him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of Him. Even so, Amen."
— Revelation 1:7 (King James Version)

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 am

When i posted this i was watching a special on Martin Luther's life on Netflix.

Netflix has good some documentaries.