Dake Bible Discussion BoardMartin Luther

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Martin Luther

Post by branham1965 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:36 am

sighs :agrue:

branham1965 wrote:We were NEVER called to do that.

That is the Lord's business to deal with His real servants 2 Timothy 2:19.He does it through His Appointed Leaders and Elders in the Body of Christ with Divine Authority.

The Lord rebuked Saint Peter through the Apostle Paul.

It is NOT to be done by self appointed laymen under no Pastoral Authority.
It is certainly not surprising that I disagree with you once again.[/quote][/quote]

scottae316
Make the Most High Thy Habitation

Post by scottae316 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:58 pm

First, I know that this is an older thread, but having been a Lutheran and studied at a Lutheran Seminary for a year I can’t help myself. God used Luther to begin reformation in the “Church” which was needed. As an individual Luther was far from perfect. By American Evangelical Conservative standards, he was on the edge. There was no Puritan standards yet. Most here would have doctrinal issues with Luther. This thread is not about Luther or his doctrine, but that God used Luther to start a reformation. Luther had great faith, but he held to some doctrines and dogmas that we would disagree. Still, he was a true believer, a great thinker, and a humble servant of God.

luchnia
Go Ye and Teach All Nations, Baptizing Them in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost

Post by luchnia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:34 am

scottae316 wrote:God used Luther to begin reformation in the “Church” which was needed.

This thread is not about Luther or his doctrine, but that God used Luther to start a reformation.

Still, he was a true believer, a great thinker, and a humble servant of God.
I have quite a different POV on this and certainly a topic for another thread, yet great food for thought.

It is often stated that certain men did such things for God, yet why would God need the Body of Christ reformed and on what scriptural evidence would be given for such?

Because a man believes, is a great thinker, a humble servant of God, and even does many great things, which depending on which side of the fence you are on would affect your view, does not constitute that the Church (no schism or darkness in His body) would have need of reforming.

In my meager view there is a balance missing between God's word and what men believe about this type of issue.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:10 pm

"Meager view" is putting it mildly. +thumbsDown2

Your position on the Reformation is :neutral:

No Protestant theologian would give your view a moment's serious consideration.

The Protestant Reformation was one of the greatest most monumental events in human history.

Until that time the Papacy ruled Christendom.

The Papal System ruled during the Dark Ages.

There was a long period of 1,400 years called the DARK AGES in which no Bible study was done.The Bible was forbidden to the laymen.Reformers were burned alive at the stake for translating the Bible.

Millions of Protestant Believers were murdered by the Papacy in the Inquisitions.

Read the notes on Revelation in the Dake Reference Bible on "Mystery Babylon".

luchnia wrote:
scottae316 wrote:God used Luther to begin reformation in the “Church” which was needed.

This thread is not about Luther or his doctrine, but that God used Luther to start a reformation.

Still, he was a true believer, a great thinker, and a humble servant of God.
I have quite a different POV on this and certainly a topic for another thread, yet great food for thought.

It is often stated that certain men did such things for God, yet why would God need the Body of Christ reformed and on what scriptural evidence would be given for such?

Because a man believes, is a great thinker, a humble servant of God, and even does many great things, which depending on which side of the fence you are on would affect your view, does not constitute that the Church (no schism or darkness in His body) would have need of reforming.

In my meager view there is a balance missing between God's word and what men believe about this type of issue.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:31 pm

I agree with you Scott.

We need to try to put ourselves in his shoes,in his time frame and appreciate the great immense courage he and others had to oppose the Papacy.

I know some neophytes attack Luther .I refuse to concede to their nutty notions.Luther was a great Reformer. He was a fearless man of God.He wrote and he lived "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" .

He had the sand and grit to stand up by himself to the Papacy .

Martin Luther in great courage and strong faith faced the Papacy 500 years ago

and changed the world FOREVER.

scottae316 wrote:First, I know that this is an older thread, but having been a Lutheran and studied at a Lutheran Seminary for a year I can’t help myself. God used Luther to begin reformation in the “Church” which was needed. As an individual Luther was far from perfect. By American Evangelical Conservative standards, he was on the edge. There was no Puritan standards yet. Most here would have doctrinal issues with Luther. This thread is not about Luther or his doctrine, but that God used Luther to start a reformation. Luther had great faith, but he held to some doctrines and dogmas that we would disagree. Still, he was a true believer, a great thinker, and a humble servant of God.

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 pm

+see +see +see +see +see

SPIRITBLADE DISCIPLE
— Luke 12:4-5 King James Version —
"And I say unto you My friends, be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear Him, which after He hath killed hath power to cast into Hell; yea, I say unto you, fear Him."

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 pm

Hey Roger,

Luther had some faults.So did Zwingli ,Melanchthon,Wycliffe,Knox ,Arminius and the others.

I think it is interesting that the fellow most Protestants follow

John Calvin

burned a man at the stake named Michael Servetus

for a doctrinal difference about

the Godhead.

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:+see +see +see +see +see

luchnia
Go Ye and Teach All Nations, Baptizing Them in the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost

Post by luchnia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am

branham1965 wrote:"Meager view" is putting it mildly. +thumbsDown2

Your position on the Reformation is :neutral:

No Protestant theologian would give your view a moment's serious consideration.

The Protestant Reformation was one of the greatest most monumental events in human history.
I realize that my POV on this would not get a moment's serious consideration by protestant theologians and I am not concerned that would be the case.

You nailed this perfectly when you put the terms in the sentence above, "human history." That is exactly my point. What point in time has there not been suffering, murder, mistreatment, and so on against God's saints?

Since Jesus raised from the dead, was His body ever dark or had schisms? In Him is light and no darkness, so why put it there? What is it that makes a man want to put the dark ages in Christ?

If there were darkness that was not in His body. I maintain the Body of Christ has never, nor will ever need to be reformed in any way and it will play out exactly as God gave us in His word.

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:54 pm

luchnia wrote:If there were darkness that was not in His body. I maintain the Body of Christ has never, nor will ever need to be reformed in any way and it will play out exactly as God gave us in His word.
Amen!

Therefore, if the RCC was the true church, the Reformation was a fraud. And, if the RCC was not the true church, the Reformation was a fraud.
  • Matthew 7:18 King James Version
    • A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

SPIRITBLADE DISCIPLE
— Luke 12:4-5 King James Version —
"And I say unto you My friends, be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear Him, which after He hath killed hath power to cast into Hell; yea, I say unto you, fear Him."

scottae316
Make the Most High Thy Habitation

Post by scottae316 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:55 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
luchnia wrote:If there were darkness that was not in His body. I maintain the Body of Christ has never, nor will ever need to be reformed in any way and it will play out exactly as God gave us in His word.
Amen!

Therefore, if the RCC was the true church, the Reformation was a fraud. And, if the RCC was not the true church, the Reformation was a fraud.
  • Matthew 7:18 King James Version
    • A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
I don’t remember anyone saying the RCC was the only true church. The “Church” is not a building or a group of buildings. It is not one local group or a larger multinational or multi state gathering. So how do you define the “Church”, what is it? Until this is understood and defined this discussion is pointless, IMO.