Dake Bible Discussion BoardMartin Luther

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Martin Luther

Post by Ironman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:15 pm

Tried to edit my last post to add, "We seem to have no problems overlooking these great men's faults, flaws, faults and outright failures." 1. Moses, 2. David. Left it too late so I posted my thoughts here.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

stand
Revelation

Post by stand » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:06 am

Solomon was obviously a great king, but the Bible never overlooked his sins of idol worship. I think this is dangerous to overlook the so called great men’s wrongdoings, for we might think we have done enough great things in our life that our sins can be neglected. After all, only Jesus is to be glorified, I do not see the Bible ever try to glorify men like the way we do nowadays. And faith, power, knowledge, wisdom are all from God, who can boost?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:16 am

That is what a good Preacher friend of mine told me years ago going to his Gospel meeting.

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
branham1965 wrote:I know that all these men have feet of clay.
That's putting it mildly.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:30 am

We were NEVER called to do that.

That is the Lord's business to deal with His real servants 2 Timothy 2:19.He does it through His Appointed Leaders and Elders in the Body of Christ with Divine Authority.

The Lord rebuked Saint Peter through the Apostle Paul.

It is NOT to be done by self appointed laymen under no Pastoral Authority.

branham1965 wrote:And i do not care to investigate the faults of the Lord's Reformers or Generals etc.
I have too many of my own.
Interesting perspective, however I think if we're going to recognize them as "the Lord's Reformers or Generals ect." we might not be wise to overlook their shortcomings, flaws, faults, and outright failures. Such "Reformers" or "Generals" should be held to an higher standard.
Last edited by branham1965 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 am

I brought up Martin Luther :angel: :angel:

to give him the credit he rightly deserves.He risked his life to stand for the truth.

It has been 500 years since he stood in courage against the Papacy.

luchnia wrote:
branham1965 wrote:And i do not care to investigate the faults of the Lord's Reformers or Generals etc.
Interesting perspective, however I think if we're going to recognize them as "the Lord's Reformers or Generals ect." we might not be wise to overlook their shortcomings, flaws, faults, and outright failures. Such "Reformers" or "Generals" should be held to an higher standard.
David is an interesting case study of this very thing and the Word of God did not overlook what was needed to be recorded about David. I must be cautious because in NO way would I compare the so-called generals since biblical times a comparison to David. We could go on to Moses and others as well. The history of these men is fantastic and at times even hard to imagine.

Men that have done things since biblical times are tagged by men as this or that which is not always a level set assessment. If one is willing to do their homework and study the doctrines, they often will be surprised. What scriptural tapeline defines a "Lord's reformer" or "General"? Is the no name man that loves God and walks in obedience a "Lord's general"?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:12 am

You are right stand....

I like music Beethoven,Mozart etc.

I like sports especially American College Football.I cheer for the Ohio State Buckeyes.

I honor great Coaches like Paul "Bear" Bryant and Woody Hayes.

I like histories great heroes.

The Crusader Charles Martel is a man who saved Europe from Islam at the Battle of Tours ,France in 732.

General George S.Patton is another.

And i admire Preachers the most.

In doing so i tend to over do it. I Corinthians 1-3

stand wrote:Solomon was obviously a great king, but the Bible never overlooked his sins of idol worship. I think this is dangerous to overlook the so called great men’s wrongdoings, for we might think we have done enough great things in our life that our sins can be neglected. After all, only Jesus is to be glorified, I do not see the Bible ever try to glorify men like the way we do nowadays. And faith, power, knowledge, wisdom are all from God, who can boost?

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:58 am

branham1965 wrote:

That is the Lord's business to deal with His real servants 2 Timothy 2:19.He does it through His Appointed Leaders and Elders in the Body of Christ with Divine Authority.

+see

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:32 am

Forget it.

branham1965 wrote:

You seem to hold a more "high church" view of things than I do, Billy. To me, it is wrong to honor any man I am not qualified to criticize.
Last edited by branham1965 on Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

luchnia
Behold, I Send the Promise of My Father Upon You

Post by luchnia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:48 am

stand wrote:Solomon was obviously a great king, but the Bible never overlooked his sins of idol worship. I think this is dangerous to overlook the so called great men’s wrongdoings, for we might think we have done enough great things in our life that our sins can be neglected. After all, only Jesus is to be glorified, I do not see the Bible ever try to glorify men like the way we do nowadays. And faith, power, knowledge, wisdom are all from God, who can boost?
Good post. The way men are glorified today is almost shameful. Many of the so-called greats of today are even self-proclaimed, so much so it comes to the point that it is humorous. It is much like the sorcerer that claimed to be the great power of God. He was the great one.

This type of exaltation by ignorant men and self takes everything away from the head of the body, Jesus. It saddens the very core of the child of God. Kind of reminds me of the words of Jesus, the least shall be the greatest among you.

Word up!

luchnia
Behold, I Send the Promise of My Father Upon You

Post by luchnia » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:53 am

branham1965 wrote:We were NEVER called to do that.

It is certainly not surprising that I disagree with you once again.

Word up!