Dake Bible Discussion BoardMartin Luther

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
God Giveth Liberally to All Men and Upbraideth Not

Re: Martin Luther

Postby luchnia » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:52 am

branham1965 wrote:I have nothing but good to say about Martin Luther.He was a great man.

And the passage i was referring to was James 5:17.

luchnia wrote:
branham1965 wrote:He was a great man.And he was a human being like everyone on here is.James 5.

Can you expound on the James 5 reference in relation to Martin Luther since that chapter is about wicked rich men and how they will be punished? Are you implying he was a great man and a wicked man and will suffer the same fate?

I don't mean any offense to this. I cannot see the correlation of the verse 5:17 text with your earlier posts. That text is simply not adding up for me in relation to this subject matter. There must be something there that you perceive that I do not.

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:56 pm

Ironman wrote:And, Anabaptists, like you and me billy were baptized in their infancy...

I was not baptized as an infant.

I was only ever baptized as a believer.

Isaiah 8:13 King James Version
      Sanctify the Lord of Hosts Himself; and let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread.

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Ironman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
Ironman wrote:And, Anabaptists, like you and me billy were baptized in their infancy...

I was not baptized as an infant.

I was only ever baptized as a believer.

I never chose to be baptized as an infant, my mother had me baptized. I was baptized as an adult believer.

Have I become your enemy, because I tell you the truth.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:09 pm

As I understand it, Luther was a big believer in infant baptism. I think it is fair to say that he hated those that rejected infant baptism.

Sanctify the Lord of Hosts Himself; and let Him be your fear, and let Him be your dread.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:02 pm

I don't think Luther hated anyone. Baptism does not become invalid even though it be wrongly received or employed; since it is not bound to our faith, but to the Word of God. Most people, as my mother did, bring their children to be baptised in the conviction and hope that it will become a believer as they grow to maturity, and in grace and knowledge. And they pray that God grant's their child faith. They believe they are baptizing their child solely upon the command of God. Luther's conclusion on infant baptism is that infants and Children brought to baptism by believing parents and sponsors have their own, personal faith which lays claim to the benefits of baptism. This is the power of "alien faith", not to save someone else, but that through their faith the child obtains his own faith as it grows to maturity which is able to save him.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

branham1965

Postby branham1965 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:06 pm

:angel: :angel:

Ironman wrote:I don't think Luther hated anyone. Baptism does not become invalid even though it be wrongly received or employed; since it is not bound to our faith, but to the Word of God. Most people, as my mother did, bring their children to be baptised in the conviction and hope that it will become a believer as they grow to maturity, and in grace and knowledge. And they pray that God grant's their child faith. They believe they are baptizing their child solely upon the command of God. Luther's conclusion on infant baptism is that infants and Children brought to baptism by believing parents and sponsors have their own, personal faith which lays claim to the benefits of baptism. This is the power of "alien faith", not to save someone else, but that through their faith the child obtains his own faith as it grows to maturity which is able to save him.

branham1965

Postby branham1965 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:12 pm

He was a world changer.But was only human.That was my point.

luchnia wrote:
branham1965 wrote:I have nothing but good to say about Martin Luther.He was a great man.

luchnia wrote:
branham1965 wrote:He was a great man.And he was a human being like everyone on here is.James 5.

Can you expound on the James 5 reference in relation to Martin Luther since that chapter is about wicked rich men and how they will be punished? Are you implying he was a great man and a wicked man and will suffer the same fate?

I don't mean any offense to this. I cannot see the correlation of the verse 5:17 text with your earlier posts. That text is simply not adding up for me in relation to this subject matter. There must be something there that you perceive that I do not.

branham1965

Postby branham1965 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:13 pm

:sleeping:
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:As I understand it, Luther was a big believer in infant baptism. I think it is fair to say that he hated those that rejected infant baptism.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:25 pm

branham1965 wrote:He was a world changer.But was only human.That was my point.

luchnia wrote:

luchnia wrote:

He was a great man and shook the pope and the world. Every Protestant Reformer and every Protestant stream has been influenced and inspired by Luther. Though the consequences of his actions indeed he shook the world. Martin Luther did not set out to change the world. He simply believed and obeyed the Word of God, and God changed the world through him.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Didn't Luther support the execution of the Anabaptists for rejecting infant baptism?

[url]quote="Ironman"]I don't think Luther hated anyone. Baptism does not become invalid even though it be wrongly received or employed; since it is not bound to our faith, but to the Word of God. Most people, as my mother did, bring their children to be baptised in the conviction and hope that it will become a believer as they grow to maturity, and in grace and knowledge. And they pray that God grant's their child faith. They believe they are baptizing their child solely upon the command of God. Luther's conclusion on infant baptism is that infants and Children brought to baptism by believing parents and sponsors have their own, personal faith which lays claim to the benefits of baptism. This is the power of "alien faith", not to save someone else, but that through their faith the child obtains his own faith as it grows to maturity which is able to save him.[/quote]

Luther supported the idea that failure to have one's infant baptized was a capital crime punishable by death.

https://www.gracegems.org/C/persecution_of_the_anabaptists.htm

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/davearmstrong/2016/02/luther-favored-death-penalty-for-anabaptists.html

In fact, the pesecution of the Anabaptists by Luther and the Lutheran church was so severe that it took 500 years for them to reconcile.

http://www.dw.com/en/lutherans-reconcile-with-mennonites-500-years-after-bloody-persecution/a-5837683

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”