Dake Bible Discussion BoardMartin Luther

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Martin Luther

Post by branham1965 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:06 am

The great Reformer Martin Luther said this before his accusers

about 500 years ago:

" Unless I am convinced by proofs from the Scriptures or by clear reasons and arguments
I can and will not retract for it is neither safe

nor wise to do anything against conscience.

Here I stand .I can do no other.

God help me.

Amen."

He was a remarkable man with great courage.I understand that he was a powerful writer and wrote mighty hymns of the Church.

"A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" is a beautiful and majestic hymn he wrote.

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Martin Luther

Post by Ironman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:25 pm

branham1965 wrote:The great Reformer Martin Luther said this before his accusers

about 500 years ago:

" Unless I am convinced by proofs from the Scriptures or by clear reasons and arguments
I can and will not retract for it is neither safe

nor wise to do anything against conscience.

Here I stand .I can do no other.

God help me.

Amen."

He was a remarkable man with great courage.I understand that he was a powerful writer and wrote mighty hymns of the Church.

"A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" is a beautiful and majestic hymn he wrote.
I agree with you billy. He was way ahead of the lot of them in the Catholic church from the top down. This is what he witnessed in Rome and what upset Martin Luther the most. It was the selling of indulgences- forgiveness, sometimes in advance, for sin. He saw that the church was becoming rich by selling the masses the right to sin. This also, invariably, meant that the rich could sin as much as they wanted and still be considered saints, but the poor who sinned once, but couldn't afford to pay for papal forgiveness were going to hell. Because they could be bought in advance of sin, business men would pay for them and then go on a long business journey and enjoy a prostitute or two.
Martin Luther rediscovered the Biblical Gospel and conclusively broke away from the Roman Catholic Church due to strong disagreement over several things which he felt were anti-faith or anti-Christ. His chief difference of opinion with Catholic Church was over the question, “How one is saved and enters heaven?” Martin Luther was convinced that man can surely attain redemption by dint of his unflinching faith in Jesus as a Savior. Faith alone saves. Whereas the Catholic Church maintained that mere faith in Jesus cannot save a man unless his faith is completed by love and good deeds.

Another disagreement that Martin Luther had with the Catholic Church was about the question, “Who is the highest authority in Christianity?” The Catholic Church believed in absolute authority and supremacy of the Pope of Rome. Martin Luther was totally convinced that Christ alone is the head of Christianity and the ultimate authority

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:57 pm

Some observations on Martin Luther and his beliefs:
#71 of Martin Luther’s 95 Theses, Oct. 31, 1517: “Let him be anathema and accursed who denies the apostolic character of the indulgences.”
Martin Luther, Letter to Melanchthon, August 1, 1521: “If you are a preacher of grace, then preach a true and not a fictitious grace; if grace is true, you must bear a true and not a fictitious sin. God does not save people who are only fictitious sinners. Be a sinner and sin boldly, but believe and rejoice in Christ even more boldly, for he is victorious over sin, death, and the world. As long as we are here [in this world] we have to sin. This life is not the dwelling place of righteousness, but, as Peter says, we look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells. It is enough that by the riches of God’s glory we have come to know the Lamb that takes away the sin of the world. No sin will separate us from the Lamb, even though we commit fornication and murder a thousand times a day. Do you think that the purchase price that was paid for the redemption of our sins by so great a Lamb is too small? Pray boldly—you too are a mighty sinner.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd66KXIbAjc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd66KXIbAjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2Hyve-kwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2Hyve-kwg

Document on Martin Luther

Some have said that justification by faith alone, as Luther taught, is the ultimate indulgence.

Thou through Thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts.
Psalms 119:98‭-‬100 King James Version

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 pm

He was a great man.And he was a human being like everyone on here is.James 5.

luchnia
Signs Shall Follow Them That Believe

Post by luchnia » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:56 am

branham1965 wrote:He was a great man.And he was a human being like everyone on here is.James 5.
Can you expound on the James 5 reference in relation to Martin Luther since that chapter is about wicked rich men and how they will be punished? Are you implying he was a great man and a wicked man and will suffer the same fate?

Word up!

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:08 pm

I have nothing but good to say about Martin Luther.He was a great man.

And the passage i was referring to was James 5:17.

luchnia wrote:
branham1965 wrote:He was a great man.And he was a human being like everyone on here is.James 5.
Can you expound on the James 5 reference in relation to Martin Luther since that chapter is about wicked rich men and how they will be punished? Are you implying he was a great man and a wicked man and will suffer the same fate?
Last edited by branham1965 on Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiritblade Disciple

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:38 pm

branham1965 wrote:And the passage i was referring to was James 5:17.
  • James 5:17 King James Version
    • Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
The comparison seems odd, to me, seeing as Luther was a Cessationist who opposed the Anabaptists, who were not.

Thou through Thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts.
Psalms 119:98‭-‬100 King James Version

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:49 pm

As i said i respect Luther because he stood up against the Catholic Empire.

I do not know very much about the Anabaptists.

I will look into them.

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
    • Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
The comparison is odd, seeing as Luther was a Cessationist who opposed the Anabaptists, who were not.

Ironman

Post by Ironman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:00 pm

branham1965 wrote:As i said i respect Luther because he stood up against the Catholic Empire.

I will look into them.

The comparison is odd, seeing as Luther was a Cessationist who opposed the Anabaptists, who were not.
Spd, can Luther really be accused of altering the Gospel (specifically, the good news of Christ which is able to save man from eternal damnation) by being a cessationist?

And, Anabaptists, like you and me billy were baptized in their infancy, and they like we chose to be rebaptized as believing adults.

Hence, their enemies called them anabaptists -- "re-baptizers." :angel:

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:32 am

MARTIN LUTHER WAS A MIGHTY MAN OF GOD .HE FACED DEATH FROM THE PAPACY AND NEVER FALTERED.HE CHANGED THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD FOR GOOD FOREVER. :angel: :angel:

YOU KNOW IF I PUT BUGS BUNNY OR UNDERDOG ON HERE IT WOULD BE BAD MOUTHED .

THANK YOU HAZ VERY MUCH FOR THE HELP MATE. :angel:
Ironman wrote:
branham1965 wrote:As i said i respect Luther because he stood up against the Catholic Empire.

I will look into them.

Spd, can Luther really be accused of altering the Gospel (specifically, the good news of Christ which is able to save man from eternal damnation) by being a cessationist?

And, Anabaptists, like you and me billy were baptized in their infancy, and they like we chose to be rebaptized as believing adults.

Hence, their enemies called them anabaptists -- "re-baptizers." :angel: