Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe gospel verses the truth - Acts 16

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Signs Shall Follow Them That Believe

Re: The gospel verses the truth - Acts 16

Post by luchnia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:44 am

Getting back on track with God's word.
Acts 16:16-24 (KJV)
16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain damsel possessed with a spirit of divination met us, which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:
17 The same followed Paul and us, and cried, saying, These men are the servants of the most high God, which shew unto us the way of salvation.
18 And this did she many days. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour.
19 And when her masters saw that the hope of their gains was gone, they caught Paul and Silas, and drew them into the marketplace unto the rulers,
  • Facts that we have from God's word are:
    Damsel was possessed with this spirit of divination (there may have been others in the area - an unknown from the text).
    The damsel brought her masters much gain by soothsaying.
    She followed Paul and the other men preaching the truth about the men.
    She did it for many days (We do not know how many).
    Paul was grieved and spoke directly to the spirit.
    The spirit left the same hour that Paul commanded it to leave (We do not know where it went).
    The gainsayers caught Paul and Silas.
We can easily learn from this that this demon spoke the truth. The greek translates it as a spirit of a fake mythical beast. Demons are no less than brilliant on many fronts. One must be wise to discern when there is a demon, where there is only evil influence, and when there is simply ignorance of the events that occurred.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:24 pm

That is a scholarly post. :angel: :angel:

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:50 pm

One must be wise to discern when there is a demon, where there is only evil influence, and when there is simply ignorance of the events that occurred.
This leads to another question...

What is Discernment?

I was taught that discernment is the ability to see and that there are at least three types of discernment:
  • 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual
If that is correct, is it fair to say that demons can only be spiritually discerned?

Thou through Thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation. I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Thy precepts.
Psalms 119:98‭-‬100 King James Version

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm

In Bible Truths Unmasked ,GPFM,DARB Reverend Dake expounds on this.

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
One must be wise to discern when there is a demon, where there is only evil influence, and when there is simply ignorance of the events that occurred.

What is Discernment?

I was taught that discernment is the ability to see and that there are at least three types of discernment:
  • 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual
If that is correct, is it fair to say that demons can only be spiritually discerned?

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:36 pm

What is Discernment?

• 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual
I wonder about this. After you research all the subjects relating to this, it just seems that this can be one of the most difficult of all things in God's word to discern. You read about folks that say they see demons and all sorts of non-sense that simply does not line up with the biblical accounts that we read about.

Word up!

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:06 pm

I could quote others who are respected in these realms.But i do that far too much.

I do not know.

+dunno +dontknow

What is Discernment?

• 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:25 pm

luchnia wrote:

What is Discernment?

• 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual
I wonder about this. After you research all the subjects relating to this, it just seems that this can be one of the most difficult of all things in God's word to discern. You read about folks that say they see demons and all sorts of non-sense that simply does not line up with the biblical accounts that we read about.
Just off of the top of my head I would say that spiritual discernment is NOT the only way to recognize a demon.

When you see things that are not natural and are detrimental to the physical body you could well assume that a demon may be present. Mark 9:22 And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

Or what about the man in the tombs? That is not natural. Mark 5

Or the fortune telling girl who was used of the devil for fortunes and as the same time complimenting the ministers of God. Acts 16

Or the man with superhuman strength in Acts 19

Maybe you could have a very good indication that something demonic is going on from physical observations.

Or how about somebody that looks like this!

Or even worse they look like this guy in the middle of the picture! See the demonic jester he is giving with his thumb! ANd look at those strange people he has taken captive - they look strange too!

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

luchnia

Post by luchnia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:17 am

bibleman wrote:
luchnia wrote:

What is Discernment?

• 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual
Just off of the top of my head I would say that spiritual discernment is NOT the only way to recognize a demon.

When you see things that are not natural and are detrimental to the physical body you could well assume that a demon may be present. Mark 9:22 And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

Or the fortune telling girl who was used of the devil for fortunes and as the same time complimenting the ministers of God. Acts 16

Maybe you could have a very good indication that something demonic is going on from physical observations.

Or even worse they look like this guy in the middle of the picture! See the demonic jester he is giving with his thumb! ANd look at those strange people he has taken captive - they look strange too!
Priceless! :mrgreen:

Also great points on the physical items. In today's times some people fix themselves up in such "gothic" or baroque ways that it requires another layer of discernment. Mostly ignorant kids imitating others, but not demon possession by any stretch.

So much to understanding all of these things. There is also so much that is NOT recorded for us in God's word as far as physical appearances of the folks that had demons cast out. It would be cool to know what some of those folks looked like when possessed verses after casting out. The one person was clothed and in his right mind. Not that it would help me discern any better, but would be great to know.

Oh, here is another interesting question while we are on this topic. How young of a person can a demon possess? I mean is it possible for a demon to posses an unaccountable child? Any biblical evidence/record of such?

I know what I believe about this, but just throwing this out there to see what other views are.

Word up!

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:21 pm

That is a very nice picture of you and First Lady Bible. :angel: :angel: :angel:
bibleman wrote:
luchnia wrote:

What is Discernment?

• 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual

branham1965

Post by branham1965 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:51 pm

I was writing something on this from me ....but i decided no way. Not this time.No way. :-|

Charles Haddon Spurgeon the prince of Preachers had little use for people who refused to read and learn from other authors.

Only a block head or an egomaniac does not try to learn from others .

If i use my Cruden's Concordance or run the references in my Bible i am depending on others.

In reading my translations whether ASV,KJV ,NKJV,NASB ,ESV

MEV,AMPLIFIED, etc...i am depending on others.

branham1965 wrote:

What is Discernment?

• 1. Physical
    2. Mental
    3. Spiritual