Dake Bible Discussion BoardWe Are Unprofitable Servants

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

We Are Unprofitable Servants

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Luke 17:7-10 King James Version
      "But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, 'Go and sit down to meat?' And will not rather say unto him, 'Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?'

"Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.'"

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: We Are Unprofitable Servants

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm

Rev. Dr. Finis Jennings Dake wrote:Notes For Verse 7
a [But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat? And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink? Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him?] Questions 110-112. Next, Lk. 17:17. The 38th parable in Luke (Lk. 17:7-10), illustrating all that we can do as servants of God is merely a common duty of man. We merit nothing and should not expect thanks, grace, mercy, or answered prayer because of what we do. Next, Lk. 18:1.

Notes For Verse 9
a [trow] An archaic English word meaning to think or suppose.

Notes For Verse 10
a [So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do] This is the point illustrated by the parable of Lk. 17:7-9. We are under obligation to serve God without earning merit or blessing. All God ever asked is our consecration to the best good of all which automatically betters our own selves. Shall we thank ourselves for bettering our own selves? Such service is returned to us in many ways. If we do things for self-praise, we manifest extreme selfishness and we already have our reward (Mt. 6:1-6; Jn. 12:43).

Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”