Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhat is our responsiblity in understanding?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

What is our responsiblity in understanding?

Post by luchnia »

"First, it is not necessary to know everything; we learn truth by degrees."

This was posted in another thread and I was curious what the consensus is on this line of thought. Everything is a vast amount. While I do agree about knowing everything, my question is what things are necessary to know? If you do not know certain things then would not you fall prey to the evil one? One example would be that of discernment, another would be the two different types of wisdom, and so on. It seems there must be a level of knowledge that is required.

Part of a statement that Jesus made was "...knowledge of the truth shall make you free." From that passage we see truth alone cannot bring freedom but knowledge of the truth makes one free - what you know. What is the baseline of knowledge required? Is Christ and Him crucified all or is much more than that required?

Word up!

bibleman
Administrator

Re: What is our responsiblity in understanding?

Post by bibleman »

luchnia wrote:"First, it is not necessary to know everything; we learn truth by degrees."

This was posted in another thread and I was curious what the consensus is on this line of thought. Everything is a vast amount. While I do agree about knowing everything, my question is what things are necessary to know? If you do not know certain things then would not you fall prey to the evil one? One example would be that of discernment, another would be the two different types of wisdom, and so on. It seems there must be a level of knowledge that is required.

Part of a statement that Jesus made was "...knowledge of the truth shall make you free." From that passage we see truth alone cannot bring freedom but knowledge of the truth makes one free - what you know. What is the baseline of knowledge required? Is Christ and Him crucified all or is much more than that required?
I think the baseline of knowledge that is required is "fear and honor" of God with a practice of doing HIS commandments! -
Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

For the opposite of a knowledge of God makes one a fool. - Psalm 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.

That is the starting place and from there knowledge is increased.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I agree with you Reverend Bible.I pray for this.The Fear of the Lord.Solomon speaks of this much.As does David.It is all thru the Old Covenant.

It is in the New Covenant as well .Philippians 2:12 and 2 Corinthians 7:15 and Hebrews 10:27 and 12:18-29.

One cannot know the Truth -The Word either Written of the Living Word

without :

1.The Revelation of Jesus Christ Matthew 16:16 cf John 20:29

Every cult and false religion denies the absolute Deity of God the Son.

2.The Conviction and moving of the Holy Ghost in one's heart and life.John 16:7-11.Thru the Word Romans 1:18 and the Holy Ghost cf 1 Cor.2.

3.The extension of the Goodness and Grace of God to sinners and to backsliders Romans 2....2 Peter 3:9,1 Timothy 2:4. The real Grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts Titus 2:11-15.

Finally we never will know everything here because the Lord said we would not!!! 1 Corinthians 13 we know in part and see through a glass darkly the Apostle says.

in Chapter 8 of 1 Cor. 8 verse 2 Paul addresses those who think they are too smart.

this is from me branham1965 not another's man's book or tape.i say that to show i am not as odd as you might think. :agrue:

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

branham1965 wrote:I agree with you Reverend Bible.I pray for this.The Fear of the Lord.Solomon speaks of this much.As does David.It is all thru the Old Covenant.

It is in the New Covenant as well .Philippians 2:12 and 2 Corinthians 7:15 and Hebrews 10:27 and 12:18-29.

without :

2.The Conviction and moving of the Holy Ghost in one's heart and life.John 16:7-11.Thru the Word Romans 1:18 and the Holy Ghost cf 1 Cor.2.

3.The extension of the Goodness and Grace of God to sinners and to backsliders Romans 2....2 Peter 3:9,1 Timothy 2:4. The real Grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness and worldly lusts Titus 2:11-15.

Finally we never will know everything here because the Lord said we would not!!! 1 Corinthians 13 we know in part and see through a glass darkly the Apostle says.

in Chapter 8 of 1 Cor. 8 verse 2 Paul addresses those who think they are too smart.

this is from me branham1965 not another's man's book or tape.i say that to show i am not as odd as you might think. :agrue:
WOW! I love it.

I think we have seen the real scholar come out in you Billy! :angel: :angel: :angel:

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Thank you Pastor. :arrow:
bibleman wrote:
branham1965 wrote:I agree with you Reverend Bible.I pray for this.The Fear of the Lord.Solomon speaks of this much.As does David.It is all thru the Old Covenant.

without :

WOW! I love it.

I think we have seen the real scholar come out in you Billy! :angel: :angel: :angel:

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

Well i am not sure if i am being referred to here.

I have never seen that site until i saw it posted on here today.

My post is original. :Fade-color