Dake Bible Discussion BoardTo Them that Ask Him

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

To Them that Ask Him

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm

Luke 11:5‭-‬13 King James Version [20171012]
      And He said unto them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?'

"And he from within shall answer and say, 'Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.'

"I say unto you, though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.

"And I say unto you, ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

luchnia
Ask and It Shall Be Given Unto You

Re: To Them that Ask Him

Postby luchnia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:03 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
    Luke 11:5‭-‬13 King James Version [20171012]
      And He said unto them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?'

"And he from within shall answer and say, 'Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.'

"I say unto you, though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend, yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.

"And I say unto you, ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?

"If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?"

No doubt, some of the most promising of all scriptures, yet some of the most unbelieved of all scriptures. Many believe God can, few believe God will.

Word up!

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:39 pm

:angel:

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Rev. Dr. Finis Jennings Dake wrote:Notes For Verse 5
a [Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?] Question 66. Next, Lk. 11:11. The 13th parable in Luke (Lk. 11:5-8, illustrating boldness in prayer). Next, Lk. 11:11.

b [midnight] In the East much traveling was done at night on account of the intense heat, hence a normal event.

c [loaves] Jewish loaves were merely thin biscuit of a few ounces and resembled stones. Eastern hospitality required more than bare necessity.

Notes For Verse 7
a [in bed; I cannot rise] It was common for parents, children, and servants to sleep in the same room on different pallets or mats.

Notes For Verse 8
a [importunity] Greek: anaideia (GSN-<G335>), shamelessness, impudence. Only here, and is used in the sense of assurance, boldness, forwardness. The idea is, if a friend will yield to importunity what he will not yield to mere human friendship, how much more will God yield to importunate prayer what He has already prepared and promised to give through heavenly love.

Examples of Importunity in Prayer:
    1. Abraham (Gen. 18:23-32)
    2. Jacob (Gen. 32:24-29)
    3. Moses (Ex. 32:32; Dt. 9:25)
    4. Gideon (Judg. 6:36-40)
    5. Hannah (1Sam. 1:10-18)
    6. Solomon (1Ki. 8:22-30)
    7. Ezra (Ezra 9:5-6)
    8. Nehemiah (Neh. 1:4-6)
    9. David (Ps. 55:1,16-17; 141:1-2)
    10. Daniel (Dan. 9:3-19; 10:1-3)
    11. A Gentile woman (Mt. 15:22-28)
    12. A widow (Lk. 18:1-8)

Notes For Verse 9
a [Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you] For comments on Lk. 11:9-13, see notes on Mt. 7:7-11

Notes For Verse 11
a [If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or is he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion? ... how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?] Questions 67-70. Next, Lk. 11:18. The 14th parable in Luke (Lk. 11:11-13, illustrating the infinite Fatherhood of God). Next, Lk. 11:21.

Note Four Contrasted Gifts (Lk. 11:11-13):
    1. Bread vs. stone
    2. Fish vs. serpent
    3. Egg vs. scorpion
    4. Temporal gifts vs. spiritual gifts

Notes For Verse 12
a [scorpion] These vary in length from one to three inches, and resemble a dark-colored crab. They have a long tail with a sharp stinger at the end, and a vesicle full of liquid poison, which is forcibly ejected into the wound of the sting. They grasp their prey and bring the long tail over their backs to sting and kill. They are numerous in Palestine. Five kinds are found in the desert of Sinai. They feed on insects and hide in holes under stones and in banks on the roadside.

Notes For Verse 13
a [how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?] Does this not plainly state that God is more loving and good to His children than earthly parents are to their children? At least half as good? If so, then it settles once and forever God's will concerning salvation, prosperity, healing, or any other good thing. One need never question what is the will of God again concerning any of these things if he will believe only this one scripture. Would any earthly parent will for his children to be sick? Suffer pain? Live in poverty? Be diseased? Be sinful and corrupt? Live in crime, sins, and filthy habits? Be in want? Be unhappy in work, marriage, or in any phase of life? The fact is that God has specifically promised all good things to all His children on condition of faith (Mt. 17:20; 21:22; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 14:12-15; 15:7,16; 16:23-26; Heb. 11:6; Jas. 1:5-8; 1Jn. 3:21-22; 5:14-15; Ps. 91; 1Pet. 2:24).

b [give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him] Here the Holy Spirit is promised to all children of God who ask. That this refers to the Spirit baptism and full endowment of power for service is clear from Lk. 24:49; Jn. 7:37-39; Acts 2:33,38-39; 5:32; Mt. 3:11; Gal. 3:13-14. All children of God are given the Spirit in a measure at the new birth (Jn. 3:3,5; Rom. 8:9,14-16; Gal. 4:6), so what is this extra asking for the Holy Spirit after men become the children of God, if it is not what the disciples received at Pentecost after they had been children of God for several years (Acts 1:4-8; 2:1-16)? What was it that others received after their sonship? (See Acts 9:17; 8:1-22; 10:44-48; 11:14-18; 15:7-11; 19:1-7; etc.)
Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”