Dake Bible Discussion BoardAs John Also Taught His Disciples

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:07 am

    Luke 11:1‭-‬4 KingJames Version [20171011]
      And it came to pass, that, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, one of His disciples said unto Him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples."

      And He said unto them,
      "When ye pray, say,
        "'Our Father which art in Heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name.
        Thy kingdom come.
        Thy will be done, as in Heaven, so in Earth.
        Give us day by day our daily bread.
        And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.
        And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.'"



User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:29 pm

Rev. Dr. Finis Jennings Dake wrote:Notes For Verse 1
a [praying in a certain place] See note, Lk. 3:21.

b [teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples] The disciples had been watching Jesus and had come to know that His prayers were always heard, and that the continued source of His power and utter freedom from pride came through secret prayer. This created a hunger in them to know how to pray, so they asked to be taught. Shall we not all enroll in the school of prayer and make Christ our teacher? Shall we not practice faithfully every day the lessons we learn in prayer?

Notes For Verse 2
a [He said unto them, "When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in Heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name. Thy kingdom come. They will be done, as in Heaven, so in Earth] This proves that Jesus repeated the same doctrines at different times and places. The principles of this prayer make the first lessons on prayer in answer to the request of Lk. 11:1.


Seven Lessons on Prayer
    1. Stay within the bounds of certain general principles of prayer and learn:
      (1) How to begin (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 11:25)
      (2) Whom to address (Lk. 11:2; Jn. 14:13-15; 15:16; 16:23-26; note, Mt. 6:9)
      (3) Whose name to revere (Lk. 11:2)
      (4) Whose will to obey (Lk. 11:2)
      (5) Whose interests to serve and have at heart (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 22:37)
      (6) What to ask for (Lk. 11:2-4)
      (7) How to keep clear channels to God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 3:21-22)
      (8) How to live with our fellowmen (Lk. 11:4; Mk. 11:25-26; Eph. 4)
      (9) How to live with God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 1:3-9; Jn. 17:2-3)
      (10) How to live free from sin (Lk. 11:4; Rom. 6:16-23; 8:12-13)

    2. Be bold as the friends of God -- importune, urge with frequent solicitation, be tenacious in purpose, stubbornly adhering to a purpose; continue steadily, incessant, refuse to give an inch; be desperate, demanding, insistent, eager, and troublesome in pursuit of what God has promised (Lk. 11:5-8; 18:1-8; Heb. 4:14-16; 10:19-23,36).

    3. Believe in and have confidence in the absolute certainty of answered prayer with no wavering or doubt as to the final outcome (Lk. 11:9-10; Mt. 7:7-11; 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 14:12-15; 15:7,16; 16:23-26; Heb. 11:6; Jas. 1:5-8; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15).

    4. Believe in and have confidence in the infinite fatherhood of God, realizing that He is at least as interested in our welfare as an earthly parent, that He will give all things which are best to His children, and that He will give exactly what is asked according to His will and Word (Lk. 11:11-13; Mt. 7:7-11; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15; Ps. 84:11).

    5. Believe in and know beyond all possible doubt that it is the will of God for His children to get what they will and want (Lk. 11:9-13; Ps. 23:1; 34:9-10; 84:11; Mt. 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 11:22-24; Jn. 15:7).

    6. Believe in and ask God for the Holy Spirit, the all-inclusive gift, who will enable us to pray and get answers (Lk. 11:13; Rom. 8:26-27; Eph. 2:18; 6:18; Jude 1:20; Jn. 7:37-39).

    7. Believe in and never question it -- that God will answer each person who prays right, not just a few special ones (Lk. 11:9-13; Mt. 7:7-11; Mk. 9:23; 11:24; Jn. 14:12-15; Rom. 2:11).

Anyone who learns and practices well these lessons will get answers.

Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.



User avatar
luchnia
Ask and It Shall Be Given Unto You
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 am

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby luchnia » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
    Luke 11:1‭-‬4 KingJames Version [20171011]
      And it came to pass, that, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, one of His disciples said unto Him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples."

      And He said unto them,
      "When ye pray, say,
        "'Our Father which art in Heaven, Hallowed be Thy Name.
        Thy kingdom come.
        Thy will be done, as in Heaven, so in Earth.
        Give us day by day our daily bread.
        And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us.
        And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.'"

I have heard and seen quite a bit of teaching that indicates this prayer was specifically for the disciples, and one could admit that it says "when ye pray.." and not "when you teach others to pray here is how you pray and what you teach them".

Makes you wonder how John taught his disciples to pray and in what manner that was. You also find a lot of folks praying to Jesus and I have never found any scriptural authority to do so. I find prayer to be one of, if not, the most misunderstood of all subjects in God's word.

There are so many things in God's word that I would love to have the "between the lines" version :mrgreen:


Word up!

User avatar
macca
Dake VIP Member
Dake VIP Member
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:37 am
Location: australia

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby macca » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:44 pm

Some prayer meetings I have been in where confusing to say the least,,,, someone would be praying to the Lord, Father, dear God and the Holy Spirit all in one go?????

I blame the confused knowledge of the Trinity and not believing what Jesus taught about Prayer.......And Paul for that matter.

macca :shocked!:


For ALL the promises of God in Him are YES, and in Him AMEN, unto the glory of God by us.

User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5198
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby branham1965 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:37 am

1.) John 14:12-14 12 Verily verily i say into you,He that believeth on me, the works

that i do shall he do also;and greater works than these shall he do ;BECAUSE I GO TO MY FATHER.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name ,THAT WILL I DO,that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye ask anything in my name I WILL DO IT.

2.) Acts 7:59-60 59 And they stoned Stephen,calling upon God ,saying Lord Jesus ,receive my spirit.
60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice,Lord lay not this sin to their charge.And when he had said this he fell asleep.

3.) 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 8 For this thing i besought the Lord thrice,that it might depart from me.

This following

John 16:23 In the Amplified reads "In that day you will ask me no more questions."

It does not mean we cannot worship praise and pray to the Lord Jesus.

He is very God of Very God.Just like The Father and The Holy Ghost.And can and should be addressed in prayer.

what say ye :Fade-color



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5198
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby branham1965 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:02 pm

branham1965 wrote:1.) John 14:12-14 12 Verily verily i say into you,He that believeth on me, the works

that i do shall he do also;and greater works than these shall he do ;BECAUSE I GO TO MY FATHER.

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name ,THAT WILL I DO,that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
14 If ye ask anything in my name I WILL DO IT.

2.) Acts 7:59-60 59 And they stoned Stephen,calling upon God ,saying Lord Jesus ,receive my spirit.
60 And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice,Lord lay not this sin to their charge.And when he had said this he fell asleep.

3.) 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 8 For this thing i besought the Lord thrice,that it might depart from me.

This following

John 16:23 In the Amplified reads "In that day you will ask me no more questions."

It does not mean we cannot worship praise and pray to the Lord Jesus.

He is very God of Very God.Just like The Father and The Holy Ghost.And can and should be addressed in prayer.

what say ye :Fade-color



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5198
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby branham1965 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:43 pm

Reverend Finis Jennings Dake :



Seven Lessons on Prayer
1. Stay within the bounds of certain general principles of prayer and learn:
(1) How to begin (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 11:25)
(2) Whom to address (Lk. 11:2; Jn. 14:13-15; 15:16; 16:23-26; note, Mt. 6:9)
(3) Whose name to revere (Lk. 11:2)
(4) Whose will to obey (Lk. 11:2)
(5) Whose interests to serve and have at heart (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 22:37)
(6) What to ask for (Lk. 11:2-4)
(7) How to keep clear channels to God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 3:21-22)
(8) How to live with our fellowmen (Lk. 11:4; Mk. 11:25-26; Eph. 4)
(9) How to live with God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 1:3-9; Jn. 17:2-3)
(10) How to live free from sin (Lk. 11:4; Rom. 6:16-23; 8:12-13)

2. Be bold as the friends of God -- importune, urge with frequent solicitation, be tenacious in purpose, stubbornly adhering to a purpose; continue steadily, incessant, refuse to give an inch; be desperate, demanding, insistent, eager, and troublesome in pursuit of what God has promised (Lk. 11:5-8; 18:1-8; Heb. 4:14-16; 10:19-23,36).

3. Believe in and have confidence in the absolute certainty of answered prayer with no wavering or doubt as to the final outcome (Lk. 11:9-10; Mt. 7:7-11; 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 14:12-15; 15:7,16; 16:23-26; Heb. 11:6; Jas. 1:5-8; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15).

4. Believe in and have confidence in the infinite fatherhood of God, realizing that He is at least as interested in our welfare as an earthly parent, that He will give all things which are best to His children, and that He will give exactly what is asked according to His will and Word (Lk. 11:11-13; Mt. 7:7-11; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15; Ps. 84:11).

5. Believe in and know beyond all possible doubt that it is the will of God for His children to get what they will and want (Lk. 11:9-13; Ps. 23:1; 34:9-10; 84:11; Mt. 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 11:22-24; Jn. 15:7).

6. Believe in and ask God for the Holy Spirit, the all-inclusive gift, who will enable us to pray and get answers (Lk. 11:13; Rom. 8:26-27; Eph. 2:18; 6:18; Jude 1:20; Jn. 7:37-39).

7. Believe in and never question it -- that God will answer each person who prays right, not just a few special ones (Lk. 11:9-13; Mt. 7:7-11; Mk. 9:23; 11:24; Jn. 14:12-15; Rom. 2:11).





Branham1965:
I love , respect and i honor Reverend Dake very much.

All i said on this was :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: is that it is NOT ever wrong to pray to ,to praise and to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.

Dr.Roy Hicks of the Foursquare Church wrote a book" Sacred Cows " in which he addresses this controversy in the chapter on the Deity of Jesus.



User avatar
luchnia
Ask and It Shall Be Given Unto You
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 am

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby luchnia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:17 am

branham1965 wrote:Reverend Finis Jennings Dake :



Seven Lessons on Prayer
1. Stay within the bounds of certain general principles of prayer and learn:
(1) How to begin (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 11:25)
(2) Whom to address (Lk. 11:2; Jn. 14:13-15; 15:16; 16:23-26; note, Mt. 6:9)
(3) Whose name to revere (Lk. 11:2)
(4) Whose will to obey (Lk. 11:2)
(5) Whose interests to serve and have at heart (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 22:37)
(6) What to ask for (Lk. 11:2-4)
(7) How to keep clear channels to God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 3:21-22)
(8) How to live with our fellowmen (Lk. 11:4; Mk. 11:25-26; Eph. 4)
(9) How to live with God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 1:3-9; Jn. 17:2-3)
(10) How to live free from sin (Lk. 11:4; Rom. 6:16-23; 8:12-13)

2. Be bold as the friends of God -- importune, urge with frequent solicitation, be tenacious in purpose, stubbornly adhering to a purpose; continue steadily, incessant, refuse to give an inch; be desperate, demanding, insistent, eager, and troublesome in pursuit of what God has promised (Lk. 11:5-8; 18:1-8; Heb. 4:14-16; 10:19-23,36).

3. Believe in and have confidence in the absolute certainty of answered prayer with no wavering or doubt as to the final outcome (Lk. 11:9-10; Mt. 7:7-11; 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 14:12-15; 15:7,16; 16:23-26; Heb. 11:6; Jas. 1:5-8; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15).

4. Believe in and have confidence in the infinite fatherhood of God, realizing that He is at least as interested in our welfare as an earthly parent, that He will give all things which are best to His children, and that He will give exactly what is asked according to His will and Word (Lk. 11:11-13; Mt. 7:7-11; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15; Ps. 84:11).

5. Believe in and know beyond all possible doubt that it is the will of God for His children to get what they will and want (Lk. 11:9-13; Ps. 23:1; 34:9-10; 84:11; Mt. 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 11:22-24; Jn. 15:7).

6. Believe in and ask God for the Holy Spirit, the all-inclusive gift, who will enable us to pray and get answers (Lk. 11:13; Rom. 8:26-27; Eph. 2:18; 6:18; Jude 1:20; Jn. 7:37-39).

7. Believe in and never question it -- that God will answer each person who prays right, not just a few special ones (Lk. 11:9-13; Mt. 7:7-11; Mk. 9:23; 11:24; Jn. 14:12-15; Rom. 2:11).





Branham1965:
I love , respect and i honor Reverend Dake very much.

All i said on this was :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: is that it is NOT ever wrong to pray to ,to praise and to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.

Dr.Roy Hicks of the Foursquare Church wrote a book" Sacred Cows " in which he addresses this controversy in the chapter on the Deity of Jesus.

In my opinion I don't think there is any scripture that teaches one to pray to Jesus and I don't think Jesus advocated this anywhere, but I am curious though - how does one pray to Jesus, in Jesus' name and in His authority? Is that even possible from a scriptural perspective?


Word up!

User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5198
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby branham1965 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:57 pm

I listed 3 Scriptures that show otherwise.

I also included Dr.Roy Hicks' observations on this.

Can you address them please?? :scrambleup:





luchnia wrote:
branham1965 wrote:Reverend Finis Jennings Dake :



Seven Lessons on Prayer
1. Stay within the bounds of certain general principles of prayer and learn:
(1) How to begin (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 11:25)
(2) Whom to address (Lk. 11:2; Jn. 14:13-15; 15:16; 16:23-26; note, Mt. 6:9)
(3) Whose name to revere (Lk. 11:2)
(4) Whose will to obey (Lk. 11:2)
(5) Whose interests to serve and have at heart (Lk. 11:2; Mt. 22:37)
(6) What to ask for (Lk. 11:2-4)
(7) How to keep clear channels to God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 3:21-22)
(8) How to live with our fellowmen (Lk. 11:4; Mk. 11:25-26; Eph. 4)
(9) How to live with God (Lk. 11:4; 1Jn. 1:3-9; Jn. 17:2-3)
(10) How to live free from sin (Lk. 11:4; Rom. 6:16-23; 8:12-13)

2. Be bold as the friends of God -- importune, urge with frequent solicitation, be tenacious in purpose, stubbornly adhering to a purpose; continue steadily, incessant, refuse to give an inch; be desperate, demanding, insistent, eager, and troublesome in pursuit of what God has promised (Lk. 11:5-8; 18:1-8; Heb. 4:14-16; 10:19-23,36).

3. Believe in and have confidence in the absolute certainty of answered prayer with no wavering or doubt as to the final outcome (Lk. 11:9-10; Mt. 7:7-11; 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; Jn. 14:12-15; 15:7,16; 16:23-26; Heb. 11:6; Jas. 1:5-8; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15).

4. Believe in and have confidence in the infinite fatherhood of God, realizing that He is at least as interested in our welfare as an earthly parent, that He will give all things which are best to His children, and that He will give exactly what is asked according to His will and Word (Lk. 11:11-13; Mt. 7:7-11; 1Jn. 3:19-22; 5:14-15; Ps. 84:11).

5. Believe in and know beyond all possible doubt that it is the will of God for His children to get what they will and want (Lk. 11:9-13; Ps. 23:1; 34:9-10; 84:11; Mt. 17:20; 21:21; Mk. 11:22-24; Jn. 15:7).

6. Believe in and ask God for the Holy Spirit, the all-inclusive gift, who will enable us to pray and get answers (Lk. 11:13; Rom. 8:26-27; Eph. 2:18; 6:18; Jude 1:20; Jn. 7:37-39).

7. Believe in and never question it -- that God will answer each person who prays right, not just a few special ones (Lk. 11:9-13; Mt. 7:7-11; Mk. 9:23; 11:24; Jn. 14:12-15; Rom. 2:11).





Branham1965:
I love , respect and i honor Reverend Dake very much.

All i said on this was :agrue: :agrue: :agrue: is that it is NOT ever wrong to pray to ,to praise and to worship the Lord Jesus Christ.

Dr.Roy Hicks of the Foursquare Church wrote a book" Sacred Cows " in which he addresses this controversy in the chapter on the Deity of Jesus.

In my opinion I don't think there is any scripture that teaches one to pray to Jesus and I don't think Jesus advocated this anywhere, but I am curious though - how does one pray to Jesus, in Jesus' name and in His authority? Is that even possible from a scriptural perspective?



User avatar
luchnia
Ask and It Shall Be Given Unto You
Posts: 534
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:01 am

Re: As John Also Taught His Disciples

Postby luchnia » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:25 pm

branham1965 wrote:I listed 3 Scriptures that show otherwise.

I also included Dr.Roy Hicks' observations on this.

Can you address them please?? :scrambleup:

I will have to go back and look because I must have missed something as I did not see any scriptures that you posted that relate to praying to Jesus. I will go back through and check and see what I missed because there were a lot of references.


Word up!


Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests