Dake Bible Discussion BoardRejoice! Your Names are Written in Heaven!

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Rejoice! Your Names are Written in Heaven!

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Luke 10:17-24 King James Version
      And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, "Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through Thy name."

And He said unto them, "I beheld Satan as lightning fall from Heaven.

"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in Heaven."
      In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, "I thank thee, O Father, Lord of Heaven and Earth, that Thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in Thy sight.

"All things are delivered to me of My Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal Him."

And He turned him unto his disciples, and said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see the things that ye see: For I tell you, that many prophets and kings have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them."

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Rejoice! Your Names are Written in Heaven!

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:53 pm

Rev. Dr. Finis Jennings Dake wrote:Notes For Verse 17
a [joy] Note the contrast in the joy of the seventy and of Christ (Lk. 10:17-22) as to the source and cause.

b [devils are subject unto us through Thy name] See Demons or Unclean Spirits.

Notes For Verse 18
a [fall from Heaven] This refers to the casting out of Satan when he invaded Heaven from the earth long before Adam. See notes on Isa. 14:12-14; Jer. 4:23-26; Ezek. 28:11-17; Gen. 1:1-2; 2Pet. 3:5-8. Satan since then has regained dominion of the earth by Adam's fall and he will again be cast out in the middle of Daniel's 70th Week, or 3 1/2 years before the Second Coming (Rev. 12:7-12).

Notes For Verse 19
a [I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you] Are such promises for the first 82 preachers only? Certainly not, for Jesus said, "He that believeth" and "them that believe" would be able to do His works (Mt. 17:20; 21:22; Mk. 9:23; 11:22-24; 16:15-20; Jn. 14:12).

b [power] Greek: exousia (GSN-<G1849>), delegated authority -- the right to use power as received and when needed to destroy Satan's works.

c [to tread on] "To tread on" means to have absolute mastery over, as is clear in Ps. 91:13; 108:13; Isa. 10:6; 63:6; Dan. 7:23; Mic. 5:5; Rev. 11:2. Christians are to have power over all power of the devil, "and nothing shall by any means hurt" them. By a comparison with Mt. 10:16-22 and the actual history of the Apostles and others, we know that this exemption from being hurt does not imply freedom from all physical or material injury, for many died for Christ. The "serpents and scorpions" and "all the power of the enemy" refer to demon powers primarily, although immunity from any harm of wild beasts and from poisons is also promised (Ps. 91; Mk. 16:17-18; Acts 28:5). The whole passage is speaking of devils, Satan, serpents, scorpions, power of the enemy, and spirits.

Notes For Verse 20
a [not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven] Power over demons should not be the source of joy, but sonship evidenced by one's name being written in Heaven (Ex. 32:32; Ps. 69:28; Dan. 12:1; Php. 4:3; Heb. 12:23; Rev. 3:5; 13:8; 17:8; 20:12; 21:27; 22:19). It is a natural tendency for man to glory in the exercise of power whether it is inherent or conferred. All such arises from pride, and it often leads to shipwreck of gifted men. Against such feelings and weakness Christ here solemnly warns.

Notes For Verse 21
a [in spirit] Rejoiced in the Holy Spirit, which is the true source of joy and will never result in spiritual pride that causes shipwreck (Gal. 5:22).

b [Father] Jesus used this word 180 times in referring to and addressing God in prayer -- 112 Times in John alone, which is the gospel that says so much about the divine Father and Son. The rest are found 44 times in Matthew; 5 times in Mark; 17 times in Luke; and 2 Times in Acts. Others refer to God as Father 88 times. He is called:
    1. My Father. Used by Jesus, so He Himself could not be the Father (Jn. 5:17-18; 8:16-38,54; 14:28)
    2. Heavenly Father (Mt. 6:14-32)
    3. Lord of heaven and earth (Mt. 11:25; Lk. 10:21)
    4. Holy Father (Jn. 17:11)
    5. Righteous Father (Jn. 17:25)
    6. God our Father (Rom. 1:7; 1Cor. 1:3 and in the introductions to nearly all of Paul's epistles)
    7. God the Father (1Cor. 8:6; Gal. 1:1; 1Th. 1:1), so it is biblical to say also "God the Son" and "God the Holy Ghost."
    8. The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ (2Cor. 1:3; 11:31; Eph. 1:3; 3:14; 6:23; Col. 1:3)
    9. Father of mercies (2Cor. 1:3)
    10. Father of glory (Eph. 1:17)
    11. Father of spirits (Heb. 12:9)
    12. Father of lights (Jas. 1:17)

Dake's Annotated Reference Bible: Containing the Old and New Testaments of the Authorized or King James Version Text.

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”