Dake Bible Discussion BoardJohn Wycliffe

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:04 am

Being a "good Christian" isn't good enough to get into Heaven.



User avatar
bibleman
Administrator
Posts: 2514
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 1998 5:23 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby bibleman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:48 am

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:Being a "good Christian" isn't good enough to get into Heaven.


Why not?


God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm

"The way to God is not that broad!"

There's a difference between a "good Christian" and a "true Christian."



User avatar
bibleman
Administrator
Posts: 2514
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 1998 5:23 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby bibleman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:"The way to God is not that broad!"

There's a difference between a "good Christian" and a "true Christian."


OK what is the difference?


God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:14 pm

There is none good but God (Matt.19:17; Mk. 10:18).

I think I knew what Billy meant by the phrase "good Christians." I think he meant the same thing that I mean by "true Christians," but since we're discussing that the Way isn't that broad, I think further clarification is necessary.

The "true Christian" isn't relying on his own goodness or righteousness, but the righteousness which is of God through faith (Php. 3:4-14). Some might misunderstand the phrase "good Christian" as pertaining to someone who is a "good person" and is a Christian. But, the actual level of goodness needed far exceeds that.



User avatar
bibleman
Administrator
Posts: 2514
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 1998 5:23 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby bibleman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:There is none good but God (Matt.19:17; Mk. 10:18).

I think I knew what Billy meant by the phrase "good Christians." I think he meant the same thing that I mean by "true Christians," but since we're discussing that the Way isn't that broad, I think further clarification is necessary.

The "true Christian" isn't relying on his own goodness or righteousness, but the righteousness which is of God through faith (Php. 3:4-14). Some might misunderstand the phrase "good Christian" as pertaining to someone who is a "good person" and is a Christian. But, the actual level of goodness needed far exceeds that.


I think by the nature of the definition of the word good... that a good Christian would be a true Christian. +highfive


God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3679
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:48 pm

And, I think that both Billy and I believe that there are Christians in most denominations who are not relying on their own goodness or righteousness, but the righteousness which is of God through faith. They may, through no fault of their own, misunderstand some doctrines, but nevertheless, they are still Christians.



User avatar
Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 2578
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:29 pm
Location: Australia

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby Ironman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:59 pm

A good Christian should be a true Christian. :angel:

I have over the years broken many promises that I made to God and immediately repented only to do the same again. :arrow:

All the while God has not broken one promise He made to me through His Holy Word.

I know I am a Christian because a Christian is one who follows and obeys Jesus Christ, believes in Him and the Father who sent Him and raised Him up from the dead. This I firmly believe. I strive to remain true and good every day of my life, thanking God for His love, mercy and patience with me and my entire household and for giving me the strength to fight all kinds of temptations thrown my way by our adversary and his earthly and spiritual workers.

Straight and narrow is the way, (Matt. 14:7), wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, (Matt. 14:6), how true.
Every where we turn we see sin, hear sin, sin is all around us, on the news, on TV, in movies, all kinds of people engaged in all kinds of filth, semi naked women strutting about in public, flaunting themselves and all this is counted as normal. Filthy language is spoken by both men, women and young children, and the Name Of Jesus is used in all kinds of filthy conversation.

1 Peter 1:13-16;
13, Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14, As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15, But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16, Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Praise Him for ever more!


Have I become your enemy, because I tell you the truth.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5025
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby branham1965 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:43 am

Of course Haz i agree with you.

Great honest post.
Ironman wrote:A good Christian should be a true Christian. :angel:

I have over the years broken many promises that I made to God and immediately repented only to do the same again. :arrow:

All the while God has not broken one promise He made to me through His Holy Word.

I know I am a Christian because a Christian is one who follows and obeys Jesus Christ, believes in Him and the Father who sent Him and raised Him up from the dead. This I firmly believe. I strive to remain true and good every day of my life, thanking God for His love, mercy and patience with me and my entire household and for giving me the strength to fight all kinds of temptations thrown my way by our adversary and his earthly and spiritual workers.

Straight and narrow is the way, (Matt. 14:7), wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, (Matt. 14:6), how true.
Every where we turn we see sin, hear sin, sin is all around us, on the news, on TV, in movies, all kinds of people engaged in all kinds of filth, semi naked women strutting about in public, flaunting themselves and all this is counted as normal. Filthy language is spoken by both men, women and young children, and the Name Of Jesus is used in all kinds of filthy conversation.

1 Peter 1:13-16;
13, Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
14, As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15, But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16, Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Praise Him for ever more!



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5025
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby branham1965 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:47 am

That is it Roger. That is how i feel.Thank you.







Spiritblade Disciple wrote:And, I think that both Billy and I believe that there are Christians in most denominations who are not relying on their own goodness or righteousness, but the righteousness which is of God through faith. They may, through no fault of their own, misunderstand some doctrines, but nevertheless, they are still Christians.




Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: olindquist, Yahoo [Bot] and 7 guests