Dake Bible Discussion BoardJohn Wycliffe

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

John Wycliffe

Postby branham1965 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:37 am

He is called the morning star of the Reformation.

John Wycliffe 1329-1384 A.D.

He denounced
-the infallibility of the Pope and Council
-Papal decrees not in agreement with Scripture
- Transubstantiation
-Purgatory
- Clerical rulership over the Laity

Wycliffe devoted himself to the first translation of the Bible into the English language in 1382.
The Papacy condemned his work and the leaflets he distributed to the common people.They repressed his work.

Years later his books were burned.And his remains were exhumed and burned and thrown in the River Swift in 1428 by order of ... Pope Martin V :neutral: :neutral:

Through the work of Wycliffe it is said that God lit a spiritual fire throughout Britain and Europe.Multitudes upon multitudes and more were freed from the religious bondage and heresies of Papal Rome.

500 years ago the Great Protestant Reformation +cross changed the world forever !!! 500 years = 10/31/1517 - 10/31/2017

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: John Wycliffe

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:51 am

500 years since the Protestant Reformation.

Worth thinking about, for sure. :angel:

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Some former Protestants discussing the Reformation on Catholic Answers Live.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZdamx7l6M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XZdamx7l6M

branham1965

Postby branham1965 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:15 pm

Hey Roger

Are you seriously checking into Catholicism?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:03 am

branham1965 wrote:Hey Roger

Are you seriously checking into Catholicism?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've been learning about it, off and on, for decades.

Here's another article from Catholic Answers about the Reformers:

https://www.catholic.com/magazine/onlin ... utionaries

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 pm

Luther called for the suppression and eradication of the Mass. The catholic mass is a sham mainly because its repeated on a daily basis. If the first mass didn't save a person the rest are a waste of time.

Luther married a former nun whom he helped “escape” from the convent. What kind of religion keeps women locked up in a convent?

Have I become your enemy, because I tell you the truth.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Ironman wrote:Luther called for the suppression and eradication of the Mass. The catholic mass is a sham mainly because its repeated on a daily basis. If the first mass didn't save a person the rest are a waste of time.

Not being and having never been of the RCC, my guess is that the RCC position would be that if you believe the Mass is ineffective, then the death of Christ on the Cross is ineffective, since they are in fact one in the same event (from an RCC perspective).

Ironman wrote:Luther married a former nun whom he helped “escape” from the convent. What kind of religion keeps women locked up in a convent?

I think that's why the put "escape" in quotes... She wasn't really "locked up in a convent." He was just working to eradicate RCC Nuns by having them marry.

The fact that Luther supposedly didn't believe in Freewill is astounding.

And, Calvin's Geneva sounds aweful.

branham1965

Postby branham1965 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:56 pm

I was in it and went to Catholic school.

I am with you Haz. +highfive

Ironman wrote:Luther called for the suppression and eradication of the Mass. The catholic mass is a sham mainly because its repeated on a daily basis. If the first mass didn't save a person the rest are a waste of time.

Luther married a former nun whom he helped “escape” from the convent. What kind of religion keeps women locked up in a convent?

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:19 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:

Not being and having never been of the RCC, my guess is that the RCC position would be that if you believe the Mass is ineffective, then the death of Christ on the Cross is ineffective, since they are in fact one in the same event (from an RCC perspective).

CATHOLIC MASS PROVED INVALID BY THE SCRIPTURES.
The invalidity of the Mass is proved by its being continued. If any Mass could validly apply the infinite merits of Christ's sacrifice for men, Then one Mass would suffice for eternity, since His work is infinite.

The fact that a priest offers Mass for the same people every day, including every Sunday proves that yesterdays and last Sunday's Mass were useless and invalid, for they accomplished no eternal Divine work.

Note especially Hebrews 10:12, "ONE sacrifice; 10:14, by ONE offering; 10:18, NO more offering for sin. Leviticus 6:30.

"AND NO SIN OFFERING, whereof any of the blood is brought into the tabernacle of the congregation withal in the holy place, shall be eaten: IT SHALL BE BURNT IN THE FIRE."

If the Mass is an offering for sin, and according to THE CATHOLIC CATECHISM, Jesus offers Himself daily as a sin offering same as He did on the Cross, If this is the case, the sacrifice CANNOT BE EATEN.

It can, as Jesus instructed us, be symbolically remembered, His flesh and blood cannot, according to the above Scriptures, be literally eaten. Jesus Christ in His flesh and blood body now sits at His Fathers right hand and is not being eaten.

The life of all flesh is the blood just as Jesus is the life of all human beings who accept Him. When He says you must eat my flesh and drink my blood, and in doing so symbolicly in rememberance of Him we accept etenal life. Jesus called Himself the bread of God! "For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world" (John 6:33). "Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." (John 6:33-35).

Many of Jesus's deciples knowing God's aversion to drinking blood alone were perplexed by Jesus saying believers must drink His blood. They thought He meant they were to literally drink His blood, but this was not so and He explained this in John 6:63.

"Many therefore of his disciples, when they had heard this, said, This is an hard saying; who can hear it? When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (John 6:60-63). Many followers mumbled asking how one can literally eat Jesus's flesh and drink His blood. Jesus explained it clearly, "It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" (John 6:63). Literal flesh profiteth nothing the words Jesus spoke were are spirit and THEY are life. We are to physically remember Him through eating literal bread and drinking literal wine and in doing so we are spiritually eating His Words and spiritually becoming one with Him.

Scripture proves the Lords supper is the outward rite in which believers eat broken bread, not flesh, and drink the fruit of the vine, not blood. to COMMEMORATE the broken body and the shed blood of Jesus Christ until He comes again (READ, Matt. 26:26-30; Mark 14:17-25; Luke 22:14-20; 1 Cor. 11:20-30), there is not excuse for believing otherwise.

The "symbols," the "bread" and the "wine," will always remain just that, "literal bread and wine" regardless of who or what prayer is said over them. No man can change these elements into Jesus Christs real flesh and blood in any sense.

TRANSUBSTANCIATION AND ADORATION OF THE WAFER WAS DECLARED AND DECREED BY THE POPES. Transubstanciation was declared and decreed by Pope Innocent 111 in the year 1215 A.D. By this doctrin the priest pretends to perform a daily miracle by changing a wafer into the body of Christ, and then he pretends to eat Him alive in the presence of the people during Mass. The Gospel condems such adsurdities. Holy Communion is simply a memorial of the sacrifice of Christ (Luke 22:19,, 20; John 6:35; 1 Cor:26).

The adoration of the wafer (HOST) was invented by Pope Honorius in 1220 A.D. The Catholic Church also made it obligatory to have communion at leats one per week, and even every day if possible.

If you read the Scriptures quoted you will clearly see nothing has been added.

Ignatius' letter to the Smyrneans 105 a.d.- He mentions the eucharist in his letter. The word eucharist is not one time mentioned in the entire Bible? Also there is no letter to the Smyrneans in the Bible either that I can find? Many people of many religious persuasions wrote many letters over the years but unless they are in the Bible they are of no substance as far as supporting doctrin goes.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:35 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote;

I think that's why the put "escape" in quotes... She wasn't really "locked up in a convent." He was just working to eradicate RCC Nuns by having them marry.

If this does not break your heart and convince you many girls were locked up in convents, treated brutally and were raped by priests and when they fell pregnant their babies were murdered and thrown into lime pits, then nothing will. There are many such examples.

The Testimony of "Charlotte Wells*

SISTER CHARLOTTE'S TESTIMONY
http://jesus-is-lord.com/charlot1.htm

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”