Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe Apocryphal Books

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
olindquist
Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood

The Apocryphal Books

Postby olindquist » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:42 pm

It was brought to my attention that the apocryphal books are good to read and helpful in understanding some scriptures.
Dake in God's Plan for Man called them a group of spurious books that were rejected from our present cannon of Scriptures. On pages 14-15 he listed 13 reasons and he said they are self- contradictory and opposed to doctrines of Scripture #8 p. 15.

I have never read them and was wondering a few things about them if anyone has read them.

1) Does anyone know of specific contradictory statements with scripture contained in those books?
2) Is there any benefit in reading them?

I do not want to waste time in reading them if they contradict scripture and have no benefit. Thanks.

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: The Apocryphal Books

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:17 pm

Hi, Olindquist,

Good question.

As I understand it, the Early Church read from and used the books in question, especially when it came to some claims about Jesus. Up to that point, at least some sects of Judaism accepted these books (not all sects did), but Judaism (as a whole) did not have an official canon of scripture. As Christianity spread, there was a decision made by a Jewish Pharisaical group at Javneh as to define the books that they accepted in their canon. Those books that are commonly called the apocryphal books were cut, because they were considered to be too popular among Christians.

I think the main reason that most Protestants reject them is because the Jews rejected them without considering why the Jews rejected them.

Here's a short defense of the Deuterocanonical Books from a Roman Catholic point of view.

THE KEYS OF HELL AND OF DEATH
      And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of Hell and of Death."
        — Revelation 1:17-18 King James Version —

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”