Dake Bible Discussion BoardBaptism in the Holy Spirit

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:03 pm

We are told that God is capable of creating matter out of nothing...

What prevents any of the Members of the Trinity from manifesting in multiple bodies at the same time?

THE KEYS OF HELL AND OF DEATH
      And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of Hell and of Death."
        — Revelation 1:17-18 King James Version —

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Ironman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:47 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:We are told that God is capable of creating matter out of nothing...

What prevents any of the Members of the Trinity from manifesting in multiple bodies at the same time?

If that was even possible, why did the Word actually become flesh, suffer and die for us, and remain in Heaven rather than put Himself through all the suffering?

He LEFT Heaven and He "became flesh," He prayed to the Father who remained in Heaven, He, the Word who became flesh died. The Father raised Him from the dead.

He remains flesh and bone although glorified, and is again in Heaven waiting for the Father to give Him the go-ahead to return and collect us to be with Him forever. He will return again to put down all rebellion.

He will retain His glorified flesh and bone body for all eternity;

Zec 13:6, And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

The Godhead have never, nor will they ever manifest themselves in multiple bodies.

Have I become your enemy, because I tell you the truth.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:51 pm

Ironman wrote:
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:We are told that God is capable of creating matter out of nothing...

If that was even possible, why did the Word actually become flesh, suffer and die for us, and remain in Heaven rather than put Himself through all the suffering?

He divested Himself of His God powers and left Heaven. He "became flesh," He always prayed to the Father who remained in Heaven, He, the Word who became flesh suffered and died. The Father raised Him from the dead.

He remains flesh and bone although glorified, and is again in Heaven waiting for the Father to give Him the go-ahead to return and collect us to be with Him forever. He will return again to put down all rebellion.

He will retain His glorified flesh and bone body for all eternity;

Zec 13:6, And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

The Godhead have never, nor will they ever manifest themselves in multiple bodies.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

olindquist
Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood

Postby olindquist » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:11 pm

Ironman - those were good points

Spiritblade Disciple - I understand what you are saying, but I can't make that jump that the Holy Spirit has many bodies. But I see why confining the Holy Spirit to a body on earth can lead to speculative reasonings that makes it difficult to explain how He can be in multiple places at the same time.

Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:3-4 "For I verily as absent in the body; but present in the spirit...v.3,"
"...When you are gathered together, and my spirit...v.4"

When Jesus said, "I only do and say what I see my Father do and say, and that He the Father does the works" does that mean the Father's body had to be there?
When Jesus said, "Where two or three are gathered together in my name I am right there in the midst of them" Does that mean His body has to be there?
When David said in Psalm 51:11 "and take not thy Holy Spirit from me" was he referring to not taking His body from him?

In the Old Testament they had the Spirit in a measure. Does that mean they had part of His body, and we after pentacost have all of His body because we have the Spirit without measure?

Out of your belly will flow rivers of living water as we yield and obey him and are truly baptized in Him as His power and presence flows from ....?

Regardless of His bodies current location the Holy Spirit is our teacher, comforter, shows us things to come, anoints us, empowers us, gives us victory over sin.
Even though that should be our main focus, the discussion about His bodily location has been good to cause us to search the Scriptures.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:29 pm

olindquist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:11 pm
"Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:3-4 "For I verily as absent in the body; but present in the spirit...v.3,"
"...When you are gathered together, and my spirit...v.4"

Here is what these Scriptures mean. Its like when I am away from my family who I love and provide for in every way, I miss them very much, and they love and miss me while I am away, but, although I am away from them "bodily," I am with them in "Spirit," the they with me , . . . . . . . the spirit, that invisible part of all living beings that knows, the seat of his intellect, mind, and will, and that which gives him self-determination and makes him a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2:11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21; Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

olindquist

Postby olindquist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:28 am

Thanks Ironman.

olindquist

Postby olindquist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:09 pm

1 John 5:7 " For there are three that bear record in heaven, The Father, The Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

I realize what the next verse says but in v.7 does "bear record" have any reference to the trinity's bodily location?

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:47 pm

olindquist wrote:1 John 5:7 " For there are three that bear record in heaven, The Father, The Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

I realize what the next verse says but in v.7 does "bear record" have any reference to the trinity's bodily location?

Here is what these Scriptures teach.There are three distinct and separate witnesses that bare witness of Christ (1 John 5:5-11, 13, 20) Both God and man require this many personal and separate witnesses to confirm any point (Matt. 18:16; 2 Cor. 13:1). The water and blood of 1 John 5:8 could not be accepted as accredited personal witnesses to confirm any point (Matthew 18:16; 2 Cor. 13:1). The water and blood of 1 John 5:8 could not be accepted as accredited personal witness in themselves. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are the only personal witnesses of this passage. If we consider these to be only one person, then there are not the required number of witnesses to establish the truth of the Sonship of Jesus Christ. We are forced by facts to admit all of 1 John 5:7-8 as inspired Scriptures and therefore, the fact that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are three separate personal witnesses, with their own separate bodies, souls and Spirits, instead of being only one person or witness.

Dake Bible 1 John Notes, page 490, 19.

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”