Dake Bible Discussion BoardBaptism in the Holy Spirit

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Re: Baptism in the Holy Spirit

Post by Ironman »

olindquist wrote:Thanks Ironman. I was thinking about something that came up in my mind which was the reason for my question. Many of those things and more the Holy Spirit did in and through O.T. saints( with the exception of being baptized in Him and 2 of the 9 gifts). And yet His person including His body was in heaven during that time. Just not seeing why His body has to be here to do those things in the church age. I' m not trying to be argumentative just how my brain works.

Also, it is hard for me to get my mind wrapped around Him going from place to place on earth for 2000yrs. Where is His headquarters at here on earth.

Having mentioning these things there is a strong argument for the Holy Spirit being on the earth now.

Hebrews 12:22-24 says"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem...to angels..general assembly...to God.. and to Jesus. " But it does not mention the Holy Spirit. That is a good argument that He is not there but on earth.

I'll continue to pray and seek. No reason to comment back.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The Holy Spirit is associated with the Father and the Son as on an equal member of the deity (Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14; Eph. 4:1-6; 1 Cor. 12:1-11; 1 John 5:7-8). He is distinctly called God in Acts 5:3-4. We know God has a spirit body as Jesus had a spirit body before He became man. Jesus now has a glorified flesh and bone body. The only difference between a spirit body and a flesh and bone body is substance. The Holy Spirit has a body, and where ever He was and what ever he did in the Old and New testament times and even during the creation of the world and the recreation of the world, He was there in His Body, just as the Father was, and the Word was.

Not one of them are or ever were disembodied Spirits.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

olindquist

Post by olindquist »

[quote="Ironman"]

"The Holy Spirit has a body, and where ever He was and what ever he did in the Old and New testament times and even during the creation of the world and the recreation of the world, He was there in His Body, just as the Father was, and the Word was."

Those statements in bold I'm not understanding. Are you saying every inspired word to the prophets and saints, every miracle, every one that gets born again He was and is there in His body. Even though He can move at the speed of thought He still has to be at one place at one time. How can hundreds of people and miracles be breaking out all over the world at the same time and the Holy Spirit's body be there at the same time? Just trying to understand what you are saying in your statements. Because to me it seems that the Holy Spirit is directly involved in inspiration, miracles, salvation, etc.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

olindquist » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:11 pm
"Paul wrote in 1 Corinthians 5:3-4 "For I verily as absent in the body; but present in the spirit...v.3,"
"...When you are gathered together, and my spirit...v.4"

Here is what these Scriptures mean. Its like when I am away from my family who I love and provide for in every way, I miss them very much, and they love and miss me while I am away, but, although I am away from them "bodily," I am with them in "Spirit," the they with me , . . . . . . . the spirit, that invisible part of all living beings that knows, the seat of his intellect, mind, and will, and that which gives him self-determination and makes him a free moral agent and a rational being (1 Cor. 2:11; Matt. 26:41; Exodus 35:21; Job 38:8, 18; Prov. 20:27; Phil. 4:12; Jas. 2:26; 1 Thess. 5:23).

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

olindquist

Post by olindquist »

Thanks Ironman.

olindquist

Post by olindquist »

1 John 5:7 " For there are three that bear record in heaven, The Father, The Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

I realize what the next verse says but in v.7 does "bear record" have any reference to the trinity's bodily location?

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

olindquist wrote:1 John 5:7 " For there are three that bear record in heaven, The Father, The Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one."

I realize what the next verse says but in v.7 does "bear record" have any reference to the trinity's bodily location?
Here is what these Scriptures teach.There are three distinct and separate witnesses that bare witness of Christ (1 John 5:5-11, 13, 20) Both God and man require this many personal and separate witnesses to confirm any point (Matt. 18:16; 2 Cor. 13:1). The water and blood of 1 John 5:8 could not be accepted as accredited personal witnesses to confirm any point (Matthew 18:16; 2 Cor. 13:1). The water and blood of 1 John 5:8 could not be accepted as accredited personal witness in themselves. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are the only personal witnesses of this passage. If we consider these to be only one person, then there are not the required number of witnesses to establish the truth of the Sonship of Jesus Christ. We are forced by facts to admit all of 1 John 5:7-8 as inspired Scriptures and therefore, the fact that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost are three separate personal witnesses, with their own separate bodies, souls and Spirits, instead of being only one person or witness.

Dake Bible 1 John Notes, page 490, 19.