Dake Bible Discussion BoardEternal Security

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
olindquist
Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood

Re: Eternal Security

Postby olindquist » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult when I ask this question ( or any future questions).
Does Romans 6:23 then just apply to death penalty sins?

bibleman
Administrator

Postby bibleman » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:27 pm

olindquist wrote:Thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to be argumentative or difficult when I ask this question ( or any future questions).
Does Romans 6:23 then just apply to death penalty sins?

Yes - Spiritual death.

1 John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death. (KJV)

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

olindquist

Postby olindquist » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:35 pm

Thanks that is helpful.

olindquist

Postby olindquist » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:09 pm

It was mentioned earlier that not fulfilling God's call on one's life (ex. singing in church) is not a death penalty sin and therefore does not incur the death penalty.

I was thinking about Jonah. If he had not repented in the whales belly (really hell), I believe he would still have been left in hell. So in using that example it seems not preaching when you know you should incurs the death penalty.

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:04 pm

I believe that there is a difference between choosing not to use a talent versus rebelling against a direct command.

In Jonah's case, I don't think he was merely choosing not to preach. I think he was rebelling against a direct command of God.

THE KEYS OF HELL AND OF DEATH
      And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of Hell and of Death."
        — Revelation 1:17-18 King James Version —

olindquist

Postby olindquist » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:24 am

Thanks for your reply Spiritblade Disciple. It is an interesting point you brought up with the difference between not using your talent and disobeying a direct command of God.

However in Matthew 25 starting at verse 14 in the parable of the talents, 3 people received talents from their lord without any command of what to do with them. One of them in verse 25 hid his talent in the earth.

Look at the lords response in verse 30 "And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth."

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:50 am

Does one have to use all of their talents to 100% of their potential to be a profitable servant?

Is Hell guaranteed to those that fail to maximize the profitableness of ALL of their talents for the Lord?

And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of Hell and of Death."

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:42 am

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:Does one have to use all of their talents to 100% of their potential to be a profitable servant?

Is Hell guaranteed to those that fail to maximize the profitableness of ALL of their talents for the Lord?

Personally I would look at it this way. I had many talents in my working life in the coal industry. I could safely and productively operate practically every machine without causing any damage or injuring anyone, on site, Rear dump truck, including electric over diesel, BE and IR Drills, Dozer, Scrapers Graders, Excavators, to name just a few. I was also elected Local check inspector and safety officer and union delegate at one particular mine.

I also obeyed God, spoke for and about God whenever men were mocking Him and cursing His Name, I never swore or cursed, stole company property or time hiding when the bosses were not about, or engaged in the usual filth many miners took part in, including calling in to brothels on the way home at end of shifts. True, This did happen several times, and I was laughed at and ridiculed by many for these things which I would not do. They thought I was the odd one out called me names. Never worried me one bit.

But the thing is, I could only use one of my many talents at a time if and when I was called upon to do so.

Have I become your enemy, because I tell you the truth.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

olindquist

Postby olindquist » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:49 am

Hi Spiritblade Disciple

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:Does one have to use all of their talents to 100% of their potential to be a profitable servant?

Those are very good questions. As I have been meditating on the parable of the talents in Mat. 25 it appears that the unprofitable servant didn't really know his lord's character and made false accusations and got into fear. Although the lord did not deny his accusations it seems unfair to throw him into hell(v.30) if that was really true in regards to his character. I believe it was just the servant's perception. It seems the real issue is about knowing the Lord which brings about a natural desire to use our gifts to the best of our ability to bring Him honor and glory.

John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, That they may know Thee the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent."

So perhaps the question we should ask is, Is it possible for a person who really knows the Lord and what He has done for us to not use their gifts and talents for His glory?

2 Corinthians 5:15 - "and He died for all that those who live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him that died for them and rose again"

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:57 pm

olindquist wrote:John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, That they may know Thee the only true God and Jesus Christ whom you have sent."

So perhaps the question we should ask is, Is it possible for a person who really knows the Lord and what He has done for us to not use their gifts and talents for His glory?

If the answer is no, then it seems very few, indeed, have eternal life.

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”