Dake Bible Discussion BoardEternal Security

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
olindquist
Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood

Re: Eternal Security

Postby olindquist » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:15 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:Given what is said by Him in 20:23, my guess is that the priestly measure was given to them at that time.

So prior to Jesus breathing on them to receive the Holy Spirit, the disciples did not have ability to remit or retain people's sins?

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:28 pm

olindquist wrote:
Spiritblade Disciple wrote:Given what is said by Him in 20:23, my guess is that the priestly measure was given to them at that time.

So prior to Jesus breathing on them to receive the Holy Spirit, the disciples did not have ability to remit or retain people's sins?

Good question, Olindquist.

Right now I cannot think of any Scripture that would suggest that they did.

THE KEYS OF HELL AND OF DEATH
      And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of Hell and of Death."
        — Revelation 1:17-18 King James Version —

olindquist
Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood

Postby olindquist » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:53 pm

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
olindquist wrote:

Good question, Olindquist.

Right now I cannot think of any Scripture that would suggest that they did.

Thanks Spiritblade. Dake's comments on John 20:23 ties it to binding and loosing. In Mat. 16:18-19, Jesus said that when he builds His church, then He would give them the keys to the kingdom of heaven and then they would bind and loose. Very interesting.

Ironman
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Ironman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:32 pm

Old Testament examples of people raised from the dead. Elijah must have been filled with the Holy Spirit for he raised a widow's son from the dead in 1 Kings 17:21-22, and in 2 Kings 4:35 he through the power of the Holy Spirit, brought back the son of a Shunammite woman.

Have I become your enemy, because I tell you the truth.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:50 pm

That's an interesting point about Elijah.

He definitely had a portion of the Spirit. In my opinion, a greater portion that most all that claim to be baptized in the Spirit.

THE KEYS OF HELL AND OF DEATH
      And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. And He laid His right hand upon me, saying unto me, "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of Hell and of Death."
        — Revelation 1:17-18 King James Version —

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”