Dake Bible Discussion BoardWedding at Cana of Galilee

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
olindquist

Wedding at Cana of Galilee

Post by olindquist »

My wife and I were invited to a professing christian wedding with the reception having cocktails and dancing. Family members justify this with the story of Jesus turning water into wine. Was this the intoxicating type that Jesus turned the water into? Doesn't seem to agree with other scriptures that says wine is a mocker and strong drink raging.(Prov. 20:1).

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Re: Wedding at Cana of Galilee

Post by Ironman »

olindquist wrote:My wife and I were invited to a professing christian wedding with the reception having cocktails and dancing. Family members justify this with the story of Jesus turning water into wine. Was this the intoxicating type that Jesus turned the water into? Doesn't seem to agree with other scriptures that says wine is a mocker and strong drink raging.(Prov. 20:1).
John 2:1-8. Jesus changes the water into wine, not just any wine, but the best wine as these Scriptures teach.

Jesus tells us in these Scriptures that He will enjoy wine with us in the future in His Fathers Kingdom.

Matthew 26:29
But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Mark 14:25
Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

Luke 22:18
For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Regarding Proverbs 20:1, Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a glass or two of wine. Its when people become intoxicated by drinking to excess that is wrong. There are 8 examples of men who became intoxicated and reading these Scriptures we see the damage intoxication can have on people and their lives.

1 Noah (Gen. 9:20-21).
2.. Lot (Gen. 19:30-38).
3. Nabal (1 Sam. 25:36).
4, Elah (1 Kings 16:8-10).
5. Ben-hadad (1 Kings 20:16-21).
6, Ephraim (Isa. 28:7-8).
7. Belshazzar (Dan. 5).
8. Nineveh (Nahum. 1:10).

Drink in moderation. If a wedding, or any gathering of Christians becomes this degraded through strong drink then its time to leave long before it happens.

Isa. 28: 7, But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.
8, For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

olindquist

Post by olindquist »

Thanks for the responses. I believe the fruit of the vine is non-intoxicating. I will tell you if Jesus did turn that water into intoxicating wine or if He drank intoxicated wine in front of others there is something on the inside of me that grieves. I don't believe Jesus or we as believers are to do anything to cause a brother or sister to stumble. If Jesus drank intoxicating drink in front of others (especially an alcoholic) it seems that would be an endorsement by Him to drink. He Himself may have known how much is too much but others probably would not.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

olindquist wrote:Thanks for the responses. I believe the fruit of the vine is non-intoxicating. I will tell you if Jesus did turn that water into intoxicating wine or if He drank intoxicated wine in front of others there is something on the inside of me that grieves. I don't believe Jesus or we as believers are to do anything to cause a brother or sister to stumble. If Jesus drank intoxicating drink in front of others (especially an alcoholic) it seems that would be an endorsement by Him to drink. He Himself may have known how much is too much but others probably would not.
You may be right! :angel:

Luke 22:18, Luke 22:18
For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.
Fruit of the vine, Greek. "gennema," produce of the vine.

Found only in Mt. 3:7; 12:34; 23:33; 26:29; Mk. 14:25; Lk. 3:7; 22:18; 2 Cor. 9:10, the Greek noun “gennema” meant “offspring,” “generation,” “that which is produced,” “born.” In about half the places where this term occurs it refers to an “offspring” or “generation” of vipers. . . . . . . Jesus used this term to describe the “fruit” of the vine.

There is no proof that this was fermented and intoxicating, for it is called "wine" while in the cluster Isa. 65:8, Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all.

Just as the new wine or sweet juice in the cluster is valued and preserved for use, so God will preserve a remnant of Israel to be blessed in the eternal society under the Messiah (v. 8-9). The juice of grapes being called wine while still in the cluster shows that all wine referred to was not necessarily fermented or intoxicating. (Dake Bible page 1216 under "W."

In John 2:6 we read;

V, 6, And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

Three firkins apiece. 9 Gallons, 3 firkins, about 27 gallons; 6 jars, about 162 gallons. There seemed to be enough for everybody.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

You can bet if Jesus turned water into wine, it was the best of the best that could be produced! In one of Dake's lectures he is passionate about NOT using grape juice for communion but using the real thing.

Word up!

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Every time I have had communion it was the real thing, bread and red wine.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

The Life in the Spirit Study Bible - Fire Study Bible

has an interesting article on John 2 "Wine and the Bible" from the Pentecostal perspective.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

Thanks for that information Haz.

+dove
Ironman wrote:
olindquist wrote:Thanks for the responses. I believe the fruit of the vine is non-intoxicating. I will tell you if Jesus did turn that water into intoxicating wine or if He drank intoxicated wine in front of others there is something on the inside of me that grieves. I don't believe Jesus or we as believers are to do anything to cause a brother or sister to stumble. If Jesus drank intoxicating drink in front of others (especially an alcoholic) it seems that would be an endorsement by Him to drink. He Himself may have known how much is too much but others probably would not.
You may be right! :angel:

Luke 22:18, Luke 22:18
Fruit of the vine, Greek. "gennema," produce of the vine.

Found only in Mt. 3:7; 12:34; 23:33; 26:29; Mk. 14:25; Lk. 3:7; 22:18; 2 Cor. 9:10, the Greek noun “gennema” meant “offspring,” “generation,” “that which is produced,” “born.” In about half the places where this term occurs it refers to an “offspring” or “generation” of vipers. . . . . . . Jesus used this term to describe the “fruit” of the vine.

There is no proof that this was fermented and intoxicating, for it is called "wine" while in the cluster Isa. 65:8, Thus saith the LORD, As the new wine is found in the cluster, and one saith, Destroy it not; for a blessing is in it: so will I do for my servants' sakes, that I may not destroy them all.

Just as the new wine or sweet juice in the cluster is valued and preserved for use, so God will preserve a remnant of Israel to be blessed in the eternal society under the Messiah (v. 8-9). The juice of grapes being called wine while still in the cluster shows that all wine referred to was not necessarily fermented or intoxicating. (Dake Bible page 1216 under "W."

In John 2:6 we read;

V, 6, And there were set there six waterpots of stone, after the manner of the purifying of the Jews, containing two or three firkins apiece.

Three firkins apiece. 9 Gallons, 3 firkins, about 27 gallons; 6 jars, about 162 gallons. There seemed to be enough for everybody.

Ironman

Post by Ironman »

Do you have a good antivirus mate?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ironman wrote:
olindquist wrote:My wife and I were invited to a professing christian wedding with the reception having cocktails and dancing. Family members justify this with the story of Jesus turning water into wine. Was this the intoxicating type that Jesus turned the water into? Doesn't seem to agree with other scriptures that says wine is a mocker and strong drink raging.(Prov. 20:1).
John 2:1-8. Jesus changes the water into wine, not just any wine, but the best wine as these Scriptures teach.

Jesus tells us in these Scriptures that He will enjoy wine with us in the future in His Fathers Kingdom.

Matthew 26:29
But I say unto you, I will not drink henceforth of this fruit of the vine, until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father's kingdom.

Mark 14:25
Verily I say unto you, I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine, until that day that I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

Luke 22:18

Regarding Proverbs 20:1, Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a glass or two of wine. Its when people become intoxicated by drinking to excess that is wrong. There are 8 examples of men who became intoxicated and reading these Scriptures we see the damage intoxication can have on people and their lives.

1 Noah (Gen. 9:20-21).
2.. Lot (Gen. 19:30-38).
3. Nabal (1 Sam. 25:36).
4, Elah (1 Kings 16:8-10).
5. Ben-hadad (1 Kings 20:16-21).
6, Ephraim (Isa. 28:7-8).
7. Belshazzar (Dan. 5).
8. Nineveh (Nahum. 1:10).

Drink in moderation. If a wedding, or any gathering of Christians becomes this degraded through strong drink then its time to leave long before it happens.

Isa. 28: 7, But they also have erred through wine, and through strong drink are out of the way; the priest and the prophet have erred through strong drink, they are swallowed up of wine, they are out of the way through strong drink; they err in vision, they stumble in judgment.
8, For all tables are full of vomit and filthiness, so that there is no place clean.
Great answer Ironman. I don't know how many Christians in my area try to tell me it was grape juice.