Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe Second Coming Of Jesus Christ

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Can Christians disagree on the Second Coming???

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Sun May 07, 2017 8:58 am

Thank you, Titus213. :angel: :angel:

titus213 wrote:I don't see any New Testament writer suggesting a dispensational approach to interpreting God's plan. Classic dispensationalism splits the one people of God and the one program of God into two separate plans and promises in the history of redemption. So for example in classic dispensationalism Israel's plan was salvation by works of the Law which they "rashly accepted" (Scofield Bible note at Exodus 12:1). The weakness of the dispensational concept is apparent (to me, anyhow) in the fact that dispensationalists themselves have disagreed over just how many dispensations there are in the history of God's dealings with man. Are there 5, 7, 9, 11? All of these have been suggested by dispensationalists.

For me the bottom line is that the New Testament itself, and Paul in particular, suggests a more consistent, unifying basis for connecting God's people in OT times and His people now as well as what's in store for the future. Paul refers to it several times, including when he's on trial for his life. That makes me think it was pretty important in his mind.

"And we preach to you the good news of the promise made to the fathers, that God has fulfilled this promise to our children" (Acts 13:32-33)

And now I am standing trial for the hope of the promise made by God to our fathers; the promise to which our twelve tribes hope to attain, as they earnestly serve God night and day. And for this hope, O King, I am being accused by Jews.(Acts 26:6-7)

Paul's not talking about promises in general, but the promise and how it was unfolded leading to partial fulfillment in Paul's day, and ultimate fulfillment in the future. He mentions it repeatedly in Romans, Galatians, Ephesians, and Hebrews. I just think this is a much better clue to understanding God's historical dealings with man than dispensations. It is a clue drawn from the Biblical text itself and it runs through the entire Bible without having to force a grid over the Bible to filter out what doesn't fit, as dispensationalism has to do.

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
titus213 wrote:... I am not dispensational...

Titus213,

What are the main reasons why you are not dispensational?

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Can Christians disagree on the Second Coming???

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Sun May 07, 2017 4:33 pm

I agree that there is room for disagreement on the timing of the Second Coming among genuine believers and that a person's view of the Millennium do not determine whether or not they are saved.

I have a hard time proving #2 to my satisfaction. #1 is fairly easy to prove (in my opinion), especially if multiple raptures at differing times are allowed for.

I don't think I'm a dispensationalist, anymore, either. Definitely not a dispensationalist of the traditional variety.

titus213 wrote:The 4 you listed all have to do with the millennium, which I guess I think of as one aspect of Christ's Second Coming. When it comes to that, I do feel there can be disagreement among genuine believers. That is to say, a person's views of the millennium do not determine whether or not he is saved.

I would put my own stance at #2 (with the caveat that I am not dispensational).

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”