Dake Bible Discussion BoardDid the Father forgive those who murdered Jesus?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
The Lord Hath Laid Upon Christ the Iniquity of Us All

Re: Did the Father forgive those who murdered Jesus?

Postby titus213 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:52 am

:angel:
Ironman wrote:
"After Christ's resurrection the executioners and others did have an opportunity to know the truth of who Jesus was and to respond, because Paul writes "the gospel that you have heard . . . was proclaimed in all creation under heaven" (Col 1:23). At that time they would need to respond in repentance and faith, confessing Jesus as Lord in order to have the forgiveness Jesus prayed they might have the opportunity to choose.

So Jesus was asking for time for people who had no opportunity to know of Him as the vindicated, victorious Lord of glory. The Father heard and answered that prayer from His Son."

Thanks titus 213, I like your answer, it sure sounds right to me! :angel:

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby branham1965 » Sat May 06, 2017 3:38 pm

Thank you Haz. :angel: :angel:

Ironman wrote:
branham1965 wrote:I think it is very good answer too mate.

Ironman wrote:
"After Christ's resurrection the executioners and others did have an opportunity to know the truth of who Jesus was and to respond, because Paul writes "the gospel that you have heard . . . was proclaimed in all creation under heaven" (Col 1:23). At that time they would need to respond in repentance and faith, confessing Jesus as Lord in order to have the forgiveness Jesus prayed they might have the opportunity to choose.

So Jesus was asking for time for people who had no opportunity to know of Him as the vindicated, victorious Lord of glory. The Father heard and answered that prayer from His Son."

Thanks titus 213, I like your answer, it sure sounds right to me! :angel:

I'm sure the news of His resurrection three days and nights later would have been news spread light lightening. For instance, Flavius Josephus a Jewish priest at the time of the Jewish Revolt of A.D. 66.  He was captured by the Romans, imprisoned, set free and then retired to Rome where he wrote a history of the Jewish Revolt called the Jewish War.  Later he wrote Antiquities as a history of the Jews.  It is in Antiquities that he mentions Christ. 

He wrote;

“About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man [if indeed one ought to call him a man.] For he was one who wrought surprising feats and was a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. [He was the Christ.] When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him.  [On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvelous things about him.] And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared.”

Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Sat May 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Ironman wrote:What do you think, did the Father forgive those who actually murdered Jesus because Jesus specifically asked Him to? Those who nailed Him to the cross, and cast lots over His garments?

Yes.

I don't think that it means that they were necessarily saved... just that they were forgiven concerning that particular situation..

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”