Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhich Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5189
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby branham1965 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:28 am

I know this is a hot potato.

Some folks who love the KJV refuse to read or accept the other versions.

Personally i love the KJV.

I like the New American Standard as well.

And i like to compare them with others too.



titus213
The Lord Hath Laid Upon Christ the Iniquity of Us All
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby titus213 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:21 am

The best version of the Bible for anyone is the version they will actually read. As one of my grad school profs used to say, "The best cover for a Bible isn't cowhide, but human hide." It does no good to own “the best version” according to some authority, but never read it because it’s too hard to understand! So I encourage people to find a version they can understand, provided it has been produced by translators who firmly believe in the inspiration of God’s Word.

Modern translations differ mainly along a scale of how close they are to the original languages. However, it’s important to realize that the closer a version is to the original languages, the harder it may be to follow in English. For me, that means I prefer one version for detailed study and a different one for general reading.

I’m old enough that I personally have known some of the men and women who worked on several of the translations since the 1960s. I can vouch for the people I’ve known in terms of their love for the Lord and their confidence in His Word. The translations I suggest to people are ones they have been involved with.

Here they are, beginning with the closest to the original and then moving from it.

CLOSEST TO ORIGINAL LANGUAGES
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
New King James Version (NKJV)
English Standard Version (ESV)
Christian Standard Bible (CSB)
New International Version (NIV)
God’s Word Translation (GWT)
New Living Translation (NLT)

So as you can see, in my opinion there is no one “right” translation. All 7 of these are reliable, and it really becomes a matter of which one you will consistently use. At the church I attend we use the NKJV. I personally tend to study from the NASB. When I want to get a not-as-literal and/or a fresh wording I really like the GWT.



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5189
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby branham1965 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:42 pm

That is very interesting.Thank you Pastor.

where do you rank the KJV??



User avatar
bibleman
Administrator
Posts: 2582
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 1998 5:23 pm
Location: South Carolina
Contact:

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby bibleman » Thu May 04, 2017 1:21 pm

For me it is KJV of course.

I really don't trust any translations that have been done in the last 50 plus years.

I have tried to like the NKJV but have found that they changed so many words that did not need to be replaced so while I recommend it to those in a baby stage of Christianity for the mature Bible student I always recommend the KJV.

I like some of the newer attempts to update the KJV.

KJV2016 - http://kjv2016.textusreceptusbibles.com/Bible/41/11
Mark 11:23 Because, truly, I say to you, whoever will say to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says.

UKJV - http://www.creationism.org/BibleUKJV/41Mar11.htm
Mark 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be you removed, and be you cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he says shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he says.


God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

titus213
The Lord Hath Laid Upon Christ the Iniquity of Us All
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby titus213 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:02 pm

Since I haven't known any of the KJV translators (I'm not THAT old) I didn't list it. I would probably put it under the NKJV but before the ESV.

branham1965 wrote:That is very interesting.Thank you Pastor.

where do you rank the KJV??



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5189
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby branham1965 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:34 pm

I never even heard of those two Reverend Bible.Thank you.


In the late 1970's my Pastor would recommend the KJV and the NASB if someone had trouble with the Authorized Version. He was not big on the paraphrased editions.

bibleman wrote:For me it is KJV of course.

I really don't trust any translations that have been done in the last 50 plus years.

I have tried to like the NKJV but have found that they changed so many words that did not need to be replaced so while I recommend it to those in a baby stage of Christianity for the mature Bible student I always recommend the KJV.

I like some of the newer attempts to update the KJV.

KJV2016 - http://kjv2016.textusreceptusbibles.com/Bible/41/11
Mark 11:23 Because, truly, I say to you, whoever will say to this mountain, 'Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says.

UKJV - http://www.creationism.org/BibleUKJV/41Mar11.htm
Mark 11:23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be you removed, and be you cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he says shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he says.
Last edited by branham1965 on Thu May 04, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5189
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby branham1965 » Thu May 04, 2017 3:40 pm

Thank you Pastor titus213.

Is the NIV update more liberal than the 1984 Edition??

titus213 wrote:Since I haven't known any of the KJV translators (I'm not THAT old) I didn't list it. I would probably put it under the NKJV but before the ESV.

branham1965 wrote:That is very interesting.Thank you Pastor.

where do you rank the KJV??



titus213
The Lord Hath Laid Upon Christ the Iniquity of Us All
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:45 pm

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby titus213 » Thu May 04, 2017 4:31 pm

I suppose it depends on your definition of "liberal"
It is closer to the original languages than the 1984 edition

branham1965 wrote:Thank you Pastor titus213.

Is the NIV update more liberal than the 1984 Edition??

titus213 wrote:Since I haven't known any of the KJV translators (I'm not THAT old) I didn't list it. I would probably put it under the NKJV but before the ESV.

branham1965 wrote:That is very interesting.Thank you Pastor.

where do you rank the KJV??



User avatar
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 3840
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:27 pm

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Thu May 04, 2017 8:25 pm

titus213 wrote:The best version of the Bible for anyone is the version they will actually read.

I've heard that surveys have indicated that the KJV is far more likely to be read than any other English Bible. Whether or not that is true, the King James Version is my favorite.

I also read the NIV, MEV, and the NKJV (especially with the SAAS* OF THE OSB**).

* Saint Athanasius Academy Septuigint
** Orthodox Study Bible



User avatar
branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous
Posts: 5189
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby branham1965 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:16 pm

So the 2011 is more literal than the 1984. I was wrong about that then. +goofy

I was sad to see that they wrote Mark 16:9-20 in italics in the revision.



Is the old NASB more literal than the 1995 Update??

What about the ASV of 1901???





titus213 wrote:I suppose it depends on your definition of "liberal"
It is closer to the original languages than the 1984 edition

branham1965 wrote:Thank you Pastor titus213.

Is the NIV update more liberal than the 1984 Edition??

titus213 wrote:Since I haven't known any of the KJV translators (I'm not THAT old) I didn't list it. I would probably put it under the NKJV but before the ESV.

branham1965 wrote:That is very interesting.Thank you Pastor.

where do you rank the KJV??




Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests