Dake Bible Discussion BoardWhich Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
The Lord Hath Laid Upon Christ the Iniquity of Us All

Re: Which Bible Version do you use?Do you ever read or look at others?

Postby titus213 » Sat May 06, 2017 9:50 am

I was sad to see that they wrote Mark 16:9-20 in italics in the revision.

Well, if a version has decided to call attention to manuscript differences (as most translations since the KJV do) then I suppose they need to indicate that the “longer ending” of Mark is missing in some important manuscripts. Most of them do it with a footnote or brackets.

Is the old NASB more literal than the 1995 Update??
I would say the 1971 edition is slightly more literal. But in my opinion it’s not enough to matter.

What about the ASV of 1901???
The ASV is closer to the original languages than any other English version except Young’s Literal Translation. However, I never recommend it. In part because the committee included unbelievers who (in my opinion) managed to influence some of the translation and footnotes. For example, at John 9:38 Jesus has caught up with the blind man whom He healed. We’re told that the blind man said, "Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.” There is a footnote for the word “worshipped” which reads: “The Greek word denotes an act of reverence, whether paid to a creature (as here) or to the Creator.” In a passage where Jesus is obviously affirming His deity, such a footnote is totally misleading!

branham1965 wrote:So the 2011 is more literal than the 1984. I was wrong about that then. +goofy

I was sad to see that they wrote Mark 16:9-20 in italics in the revision.

Is the old NASB more literal than the 1995 Update??

What about the ASV of 1901???

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby branham1965 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:04 pm

That is funny you mentioned that Pastor.

In a Church of Christ book the author has that quote in there.

But he was not condemning it.I thought it was very odd.I thought maybe i had misunderstood it. He was a good preacher.

The best i heard in their denomination.

Have you had any experience with those people=Church of Christ ???

titus213
The Lord Hath Laid Upon Christ the Iniquity of Us All

Postby titus213 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Well, yes and no . . . I lived in the same town as the founder of what was once called "The Boston Church of Christ" (now known as the International Churches of Christ). His group broke away from the Churches of Christ in the early 1990s amid a lot of controversy. And his is the only group I've had any experience with -- all negative, by the way.
branham1965 wrote:
Have you had any experience with those people=Church of Christ ???

organgrinder
Genesis

Postby organgrinder » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 am

I use several versions for study. The NKJV version is my main reading and study Bible. I use a Nelson because of the extensive cross references and notes. I also use the Dake NKJV because of the lists and cyclopedic index. Wish the NKJV it was at least 10-10.5 point type and laid out like the Dake KJV three column (which I also own). Smyth-sewn is great but that and leather would be fantastic. My Dake KJV is genuine leather. I read my KJV before bed. NKJV in the morning and for study.

I use the KJV in study because of the extensive study aids available, specifically words keyed to Strong's concordance for the Greek and Hebrew. I also use the PC Study Bible (electronic) which has a plethora of study aids and versions available. Specifically I'll refer to the ESV, NIV (1984) and sometimes to the paraphrases (for fun).

The bottom line for me is to read and study the word, keeping it in my heart. The text is critical to any study. Notes and helps, while important, are secondary to what the Word itself says.

My first KJV Bible was a Zondervan Marked Reference Bible purchased in 1973. Four colors marking salvation, temporal blessings, the Holy Spirit and Prophecy. Finally had to re-bound this year. Heavily marked up but like an old friend. Also has 12 point type! Originally I though Bibles had such nice readable type. Now I really have to hunt.

Bottom line for me is the best Bible is the one you actually read and study consistently. Each Bible has its strengths and weaknesses and as such, the varied versions or same translation amongst publishers definitely helps.

God bless.

-Speedy

davido
Put on the Helmet of Salvation

Postby davido » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:28 am

kjv as Dale is primarily in luv
when teaching 5th grade the tab
because kids cannot grasp try century language.
however the luv is good for casual reading the goings is more accurate when one word determines the original text.
the Englishman Hebrew zeros in on the useage of a Hebrew word inall it's passages.

Adam Clarke's commentary points out discrepencys in the septugents.
99% of the kjv does not require other source.

davido
Put on the Helmet of Salvation

Postby davido » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:36 am

kjv as Dale is primarily in luv
when teaching 5th grade the revised standard
because kids cannot grasp 16th century language.
however the kjv is good for casual reading the Youngs is more accurate when one word determines the original text.
the Englishman Hebrew zeros in on the useage of a Hebrew word in all it's passages.

Adam Clarke's commentary points out discrepencys in the septugents. i.e. only 2 of 200+ have the sun 7 times brighter..a notation in the poor septugant used in the Latin vulgate thatDakes quotes often is not in woo other Septugents.
99% of the kjv does not require other source.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby branham1965 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:49 pm

HCSB Study Bible with large print is very nice.

It is a nicely done Study Bible.With full color maps,charts and reconstructions.It has Hebrew Greek Word studies and comprehensive study notes.

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”