Dake Bible Discussion BoardIS THE EARTH FLAT???? KYRIE SAYS SO!!!

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Spiritblade Disciple
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: IS THE EARTH FLAT???? KYRIE SAYS SO!!!

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:30 pm

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Postby branham1965 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:08 am

Science see's some Religious folks saying the earth is flat and they think

they are complete imbeciles without a brain in their heads.

" The Lord Jesus Christ came to Earth to die for our sins and He arose from the dead three days later for our salvation.

This is what i believe in

and it is the greatest news EVER in the history of the universe ".

Nee Tou Sheng = Watchman Nee wrote

that right before he was

executed for his faith in communist China.

Spiritblade Disciple wrote:
branham1965 wrote:"The best modern scientists" know that the flat earth idea and its adherents are crackpots,nitwits,dumbbells and neophytes.

It is so ridiculous.These kooks want to reverse years of scientific discovery and go back to the dark ages!!!

"The best men of science" know the earth is round.

NASA laughs at such idiocy.Neil Degrasse Tyson knows that the Universe is infinite and is what it is.

They contradict themselves, Billy. Or, at least, seem to.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:32 pm

The Bible indicates that the earth is round. Consider Isaiah 40:22 which mentions the “circle of the earth.” This description is certainly fitting—particularly when the earth is viewed from space; the earth always appears as a circle since it is round.
Another verse that indicates the spherical nature of our planet is Job 26:10. This verse teaches that God has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters at the boundary of light and darkness. This boundary between light and darkness (day and night) is called the “terminator” since the light stops or “terminates” there. Someone standing on the terminator would be experiencing either a sunrise or a sunset; they are going from day to night or from night to day. The terminator is always a circle, because the earth is round.

One of the great delights of observing the moon through a small telescope is to look at its terminator, especially during the first or third quarter phases when the terminator is directly down the middle of the moon. The craters are most easily seen at this boundary since the sun is at a low angle and casts very long shadows there. The moon looks particularly three-dimensional when viewed through a telescope during these phases; it is clear that the moon is a sphere—not a flat disk.

For the earth, the terminator occurs not on a cratered rocky surface, but primarily on water (since the earth’s surface is 70 percent water). Job 26:10 suggests a “God’s eye” view of the earth. This biblical passage would be nonsense if the earth were flat, since there would be no true terminator; there is no line to “step over” that separates the day from night on a flat surface. Either it is day everywhere or night everywhere on a hypothetical “flat earth.” However, the earth does indeed have a boundary between light and darkness which is always a circle since the earth is round.

Job 26:10, He hath compassed the waters with bounds, until the day and night come to an end.

The Bible indicates in several places that the universe has been “stretched out” or expanded. For example, Isaiah 40:22 teaches that God “stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.” This would suggest that the universe has actually increased in size since its creation. God has stretched it out. He has expanded it (and is perhaps still expanding it).

Isaiah 40: 22, It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Have I become your enemy, because I tell you the truth.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Ironman wrote:The Bible indicates that the earth is round. Consider Isaiah 40:22 which mentions the “circle of the earth.” This description is certainly fitting—particularly when the earth is viewed from space; the earth always appears as a circle since it is round.

See http://testingtheglobe.com/bible.html

Going back to the Isaiah 40:22 passage, it has been claimed by many (including me in times past) that "circle" is a description of the Earth as a globe. As Robert J. Schadewald points out, the Hebrew word used here is "chug" (pronounced "khoog"), but is this the word one would use for a ball-shaped object? No. The word comes from another very similar word, both of which mean:

Circle means circle. Not ball. Isaiah clearly knows the difference between a circle and a spherical object. Note that a few chapters prior he uses a completely different word for a ball:

Isaiah 22:18 He will surely violently turn and toss thee like a ball into a large country: there shalt thou die, and there the chariots of thy glory shall be the shame of thy lord's house.

The Hebrew word Isaiah used for "ball" here is "dur" because, of course you can't toss a circle (chug). Whereas, of course, a spherical object you can toss. He knew the difference. Therefore, I now believe Isaiah 40:22 is a terrible Scripture reference to use as a description of the Earth's shape being a sphere. But, let's continue to test this. Where else is "chug" used and how?
Proverbs 8:27 (ESV) When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep.

How do you "inscribe a circle" on the face of something to get a ball? Seems to me, the circle is something cut into something else. The Hebrew word the ESV translated into "inscribe" is "chaqaq" which means:

Taking the Law of First Mention into account again, we must realize that there was precedence set for the "circle of the earth" prior to Isaiah writing about it. King Solomon is telling us the "circle" Isaiah would later write about (likely being fully aware of what Solomon wrote) was cut into something that was deep. In Genesis, we saw the waters were deep. Then the Holy Spirit moved across the waters. A firmament was created to separate the waters, then the waters under it were gathered into one place and the dry land "appeared." Could it be that when, GOD "carved a circle in the deep," this was how the waters were divided and the land was revealed? I don't know, but I'm definitely not seeing a ball showing up anywhere in these descriptions. Let's continue looking at the oldest book of the Bible again:

Job 26:10 (NASB) He has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters At the boundary of light and darkness.

Job 26:10 (KJV) He hath compassed the waters with bounds, until the day and night come to an end.

The KJV uses the word "compassed" in this verse, but the English words mean the same thing: A circular ring that creates a boundary. In this case, the word translated as "inscribed a circle" in the NASB and "compassed the waters" in the KJV is the same word (chug) used in Isaiah 40:22. So, let's put all of these parallel Scriptures together in the chronological order of time in which they were written:

Job 26:10 (NASB) He has inscribed a circle on the surface of the waters At the boundary of light and darkness.

Genesis 1 (KJV):
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament {that divided the waters} Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.

Proverbs 8:27 (ESV) When He established the heavens, I was there, When He inscribed a circle on the face of the deep.

and finally...

Isaiah 40:22 (KJV) It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Here we see Job, Moses and Solomon setting the stage, with Isaiah actually being the last one in this list to write of these things. Based on the Law of First Mention then, we must understand that he is only confirming what has already been said by others before him concerning how GOD literally carved a circle into the deep. This kind of language does not give us a picture of a ball floating in endless space. Rather it gives us something that looks more along the lines of the following, which depicts the earth as being a circular mass carved into a base of something else that has 4 corners:

The above pic shows the circle of the earth as having both convexity and concavity to it. I found that to be rather odd. It also does not show the dome. So, I decided to create my own 3D rendering of the Biblically described model (see below). I suspect that before the Flood, the waters below (outside the dome) would have been raised up to cover most - if not all - of the dome. If true, obviously, the sides of the container would have to be higher. Also, if true, this would have caused an increase of pressure inside the dome and may account for the hyperbaric conditions many scholars describe as existing prior to the Flood.

When we get to the Book of Enoch's take on this, you will see the earth and its boundary described in much greater detail. In the meantime, consider also what the Psalmist said:

Psalm 104:
    1 Bless the Lord, O my soul. O Lord my God, thou art very great; thou art clothed with honour and majesty.
    2 Who coverest thyself with light as with a garment: who stretchest out the heavens like a curtain:
    3 Who layeth the beams of his chambers in the waters: who maketh the clouds his chariot: who walketh upon the wings of the wind:
    4 Who maketh his angels spirits; his ministers a flaming fire:
    5 Who laid the foundations of the earth, that it should not be removed for ever.
    6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
    7 At thy rebuke they fled; at the voice of thy thunder they hasted away.
    8 They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.
    9 Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over; that they turn not again to cover the earth.

Which image now better fits what we are reading thus far concerning our circular earth with a boundary around it?

See http://testingtheglobe.com/bible.html for more.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:44 pm

The Concorde's maximum cruise altitude was 18,300 metres (60,000 feet), and its speed was an average cruise speed of Mach 2.02 (about 2,140 km/h or 1,330 mph).

Here is a picture of Concord at 60,000 feet. The earth looks round to me from here.

I'll be a fool for truth's sake. Truth is fallen in the street. I wont pass it by. I'll pick it up and embrace it regardless of the costs.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:53 pm

You wrote;
"Which image now better fits what we are reading thus far concerning our circular earth with a boundary around it?"

Psalm 104:6-9,

6 Thou coveredst it with the deep as with a garment: the waters stood above the mountains.
8 They go up by the mountains; they go down by the valleys unto the place which thou hast founded for them.
9 Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over; that they turn not again to cover the earth.

"Thou hast set a bound that they may not pass over;"

This is a fixed law for the oceans, but any time God choses to set it aside temporarily so as to punish sin by a flood, He is free to do so in any part of the earth.

These Scriptures have nothing to do with a flat earth. The flat earth pictures examples look in-natural. The round earth looks beautiful, hanging there in space in an unlimited expanse of the universe.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:55 pm

Ironman wrote:The Concorde's maximum cruise altitude was 18,300 metres (60,000 feet), and its speed was an average cruise speed of Mach 2.02 (about 2,140 km/h or 1,330 mph).

Here is a picture of Concord at 60,000 feet. The earth looks round to me from here.

Fish-eyed lens.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Ironman wrote:You wrote;
"Which image now better fits what we are reading thus far concerning our circular earth with a boundary around it?"

This is a fixed law for the oceans, but any time God choses to set it aside temporarily so as to punish sin by a flood, He is free to do so in any part of the earth.

These Scriptures have nothing to do with a flat earth. The flat earth pictures examples look in-natural. The round earth looks beautiful, hanging there in space in an unlimited expanse of the universe.

The round earth pictures are photoshopped, too. Just higher quality due to better budgets.

Ironman

Postby Ironman » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:58 pm

The round earth pictures are photoshopped, too. Just higher quality due to better budgets.

Show us a real un-photoshopped picture of a flat earth please?

Here is one of the earth from space 18 July 2013

Last edited by Ironman on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiritblade Disciple

Postby Spiritblade Disciple » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:02 pm

Ironman wrote:

Show us a real un-photoshopped picture of a flat earth?

If they can't take one of the globe, how could they possibly get one of the whole flat earth?

Return to “Dake Bible Discussion Board”