Dake Bible Discussion BoardThe Promise

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

The Promise

Post by titus213 »

I’m on trial now because I expect God to keep the promise that he made to our ancestors. Our twelve tribes expect this promise to be kept as they worship with intense devotion day and night. ~ The Apostle Paul, before King Agrippa

When a man is on trial for his life, he's going to explain himself as clearly as possible. Paul was on trial (see Acts 25-26). The charges against him were serious. He summed up his ministry in these words. His defense was based not on many scattered predictions throughout the Bible, but on one definite "promise" that God had made long ago to the ancestors of the Jewish people. THE PROMISE.

More than 40 passages in the New Testament refer to this word "promise". It is so important that, in my opinion, it is the central motif around which all the teaching of the entire Word of God -- both Old and New Testaments -- should be grouped.

The Promise is the central, unifying theme of Scripture. It pulls together all the loose threads that we sometimes seem to find when we read the Bible as merely disconnected writings. We begin to see the Bible as the unfolding of God's Promise-Plan through history . . . right up to our own time and beyond.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Re: The Promise

Post by luchnia »

You are on trial? I am missing something - can you explain?

Word up!

titus213

Post by titus213 »

As I indicated, I am quoting words spoken by the apostle Paul in his trial before King Agrippa (Acts 26). Sorry I didn't use quotation marks.

luchnia
Shall Not He that Spared Not His Own Son Freely Give Us All Things?

Post by luchnia »

titus213 wrote:As I indicated, I am quoting words spoken by the apostle Paul in his trial before King Agrippa (Acts 26). Sorry I didn't use quotation marks.
Oh, gotcha! Don't know why I did not perceive that.

Word up!

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

:angel: :angel:
titus213 wrote:I’m on trial now because I expect God to keep the promise that he made to our ancestors. Our twelve tribes expect this promise to be kept as they worship with intense devotion day and night. ~ The Apostle Paul, before King Agrippa

When a man is on trial for his life, he's going to explain himself as clearly as possible. Paul was on trial (see Acts 25-26). The charges against him were serious. He summed up his ministry in these words. His defense was based not on many scattered predictions throughout the Bible, but on one definite "promise" that God had made long ago to the ancestors of the Jewish people. THE PROMISE.

More than 40 passages in the New Testament refer to this word "promise". It is so important that, in my opinion, it is the central motif around which all the teaching of the entire Word of God -- both Old and New Testaments -- should be grouped.

The Promise is the central, unifying theme of Scripture. It pulls together all the loose threads that we sometimes seem to find when we read the Bible as merely disconnected writings. We begin to see the Bible as the unfolding of God's Promise-Plan through history . . . right up to our own time and beyond.

titus213

Post by titus213 »

Paul tells us: "the promise God made to our ancestors" [ie. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, etc]. The New Testament writers equate this single, definite promise as the one made to Abraham when God called him from Ur. That promise becomes the foundation and is repeated (with added details) to the rest of the patriarchs, to David, etc.

DeafManHealing
Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood

Post by DeafManHealing »

Amen. I find it very interesting how Paul spoke to Agrippa and he would have been set free and all of that but Paul was very faithful to Jesus Christ, Most importantly to God of Israel.