Dake Bible Discussion BoardTHE POPE ON ASH WEDNESDAY

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
DeafManHealing
Wrestle Not Against Flesh and Blood

Re: THE POPE ON ASH WEDNESDAY

Post by DeafManHealing »

Ash Wesdnesday is a day to pray for Catholic people's true salvations that is found in Jesus Christ.

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Ash Wednesday? The Beginning of Lent…
Until the 600s, Lent began on Quadragesima (Fortieth) Sunday, but Gregory the Great (c.540-604) moved it to a Wednesday, now called Ash Wednesday, to secure the exact number of 40 days in Lent—not counting Sundays, which were feast days. Gregory, who is regarded as the father of the medieval papacy, is also credited with the ceremony that gives the day its name. Among the Pagans this Lent seems to have been an indispensable preliminary to the great annual festival in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Tammuz, which was celebrated by alternate weeping and rejoicing (Hislop A. Two Babylons. pp. 104-106).

So, “Ash Wednesday” apparently did not originate on a Wednesday. Of course, the entire lenten period is not from the Bible, hence it should be of no surprise that it has had various changes in its observation.

The Catholic Saint Abbot John Cassian (also known as Cassianus, monk of Marseilles) in the fifth century admitted: Howbeit you should know that as long as the primitive church retained its perfection unbroken, this observance of Lent did not exist (Cassian John. Conference 21, THE FIRST CONFERENCE OF ABBOT THEONAS. ON THE RELAXATION DURING THE FIFTY DAYS. Chapter 30).

Among the Pagans this Lent seems to have been an indispensable preliminary to the great annual festival in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Tammuz, which was celebrated by alternate weeping and rejoicing (Hislop A. Two Babylons. pp. 104-106).

Ash Wednesday, in the Western Church, the first day of Lent, being the seventh Wednesday before Easter. On this day ashes are placed on the foreheads of the faithful to remind them of death, of the sorrow they should feel for their sins, and of the necessity of changing their lives. The practice, which dates from the early Middle Ages, is common among Roman Catholics, Anglicans and Episcopalians, and many Lutherans; it was also adopted by some Methodists and Presbyterians in the 1990s (The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia, 6th ed. Copyright © 2007, Columbia University Press).

The Bible never uses the terms Lent or Ash Wednesday. Nor does it seem to positively describe the marking of anyone’s head with ashes. But the Bible does condemn practices associated with Tammuz ((Ezekiel 8:13-14) which may be related to the origins of Lent and/or Ash Wednesday.

Ezekiel 8:14-15

Then he brought me to the door of the gate of the LORD’s house which was toward the north; and, behold, there sat women weeping for Tammuz.

Tammuz. This god can be traced back to the Sumerian Dumuzi, the god of the subterranean ocean and a shepherd deity, whose sister-consort, Inanna-Ishtar, descended into the lower world to bring him back to life. In his worship are similarities to that of Egyptian Osiris, the Canaanite Baal, and the Syrian Adonis. Gebal or Byblos, twenty-one miles north of Beirut, was the great seat of Adonis worship. The nightly death of the god, the god’s dying before the touch of winter, or the vernal god’s dying with the parched summer are variations on the theme of death and resurrection. Mourning for the god was followed by a celebration of resurrection.

And although Ash Wednesday is now often in February (though obviously March in 2011), the aspect of penance from sins is still tied in with Ash Wednesday. And the merrymaking still exists in places that observe Mardi Gras or “Carnaval”.

Whether from Egypt, Mithratic Roman paganism, or India, the one place it did not come from was the Bible. Nor did it come from early traditions of the first followers of Jesus.

Here are the only Scriptures in the entire Bible in which the word LENT is spoken of and they all refer to lending or of things being lent to someone. I personally have nothing to do with this pagan practice.

Exodus 12:36, And the LORD gave the people favour in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they lent unto them such things as they required. And they spoiled the Egyptians.

Deut. 23:19, Thou shalt not lend upon usury to thy brother; usury of money, usury of victuals, usury of any thing that is lent upon usury:

1Sa 1:28, Therefore also I have lent him12 to the LORD; as long as he liveth he shall13 be lent to the LORD. And he worshipped the LORD there.

1 Sam. 2:20, And Eli blessed Elkanah and his wife, and said, The LORD give thee seed of this woman for the loan3 which is lent to the LORD. And they went unto their own home.

Jer. 15:10, Woe is me, my mother, that thou hast borne me a man of strife and a man of contention to the whole earth! I have neither lent on usury, nor men have lent to me on usury; yet every one of them doth curse me.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

i stand by this about Dad Hagin.

and the Charismatic movement 10000000000%%%%%%% millions of Catholics and others in mainline churches were touched during or because this revival.

no one would be on here with out it.

branham1965 wrote:DAD HAGIN MINISTERED IN CATHOLIC CHURCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THE LORD SHOWED HIM IN A VISION TO DO IT.MIGHTY SIGNS AND WONDERS WERE DONE THERE.
THE GREAT CHARISMATIC REVIVAL BROKE OUT IN NOTRE DAME, INDIANA AFTER THE HEALING REVIVAL AND LATTER RAIN OUTPOURINGS.

MILLIONS OF CATHOLICS WERE RENEWED AND FILLED WITH THE HOLY GHOST AND SPOKE IN TONGUES.

AND OTHER DENOMINATIONS WERE TOUCHED BY THE SPIRIT.DAVID DUPLESSIS SAID WIGGLESWORTH SAW THIS.

IVE POSTED THIS ON HERE MORE TIMES THAN TRUMP HAS SWORE LIKE A STABLE BOY THIS CAMPAIGN.

IT IS IGNORED AND REJECTED BECAUSE OF CLANNISHNESS AND BIGOTRY.... +pieface

branham1965 wrote:

DOES HE????? GOD IM SAYING.

i know certain books INTERPRET it that way.and that is all it is.human interpretations of the "dark sayings" of the Bible as Solomon said.The Bible is not a book like reading a novel.it is a Holy Book from God.many things in there are hard to understand as Peter said.Mysteries are in the Book Paul said.

Dad Hagin never never ever in his life had that Catholic hating Pope hating attitude some of you fellas have on here.
He ministered in Catholic Churches with great results.

that is my opinion.no offence meant Haz.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

Birth control pills are abortion pills. They don't prevent conception. Just birth. They're's a reason they aren't called conception control pills.

Not entirely correct. There are different types of birth control pills, only one of which (the mini-pill) actually acts as, in effect, an early abortion. The other two types DO prevent conception. And there are other pills which are designed only to abort, the Plan B or "morning after" pill.
Birth control pills are not called that due to their inability to prevent conception. That is a frequent Roman Catholic claim, but it is bogus. The reason the pill was called the "birth control" pill is that the doctor who conducted the medical trials for FDA approval (who was Catholic himself) wrote his findings in a book called "The Time Has Come: A Catholic Doctor's Proposal to End the Battle over Birth Control". Birth control had been a battle in the Catholic Church for some time, and his "pill" simply got connected to that battle, and so was called the "birth control pill".