Dake Bible Discussion BoardHow is our character developed?

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

How is our character developed?

Post by Justaned »

In a normal human being in a normal environment how does a person's character developed?

Isn't it through what they experience, witness and learn?

If a person never experiences "Bad times" will they develop character or ability to handle adversity?

There is an old Arab saying, "All sunshine and no ran makes a desert."

If God truly wants us to be well rounded doesn't it make sense that God will allow adversity to come into our lives from time to time?

Again I said "allow" I did not say "cause."

The idea that God wants us to go through life with no adversity (rain) in our lives says God wants us to be a desert, and that is simply not true.

Again God is not the author of the adversity but God will allow it and to deny that point is to deny that God wants us to develop a Christ like character.

Your thoughts?

victoryword
Knock and It Shall Be Opened Unto You

Re: How is our character developed?

Post by victoryword »

Character is developed by worshipping God - well, the TRUE God!!!

That means one must put away idolized versions of God, especially the false one in which He controls everything. Anyone who worships an all-controlling God becomes a control freak themselves. Those who worship a God of love become like Him, more loving.

:smilecolros:

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

victoryword wrote:Character is developed by worshipping God - well, the TRUE God!!!

That means one must put away idolized versions of God, especially the false one in which He controls everything. Anyone who worships an all-controlling God becomes a control freak themselves. Those who worship a God of love become like Him, more loving.

:smilecolros:

Are you serious?

Character is built in times of testing. Even Jesus was tested. How is it we accept the testing of Jesus be refuse to believe that God would allow us to be tested in similar ways.

scripture clearly states God is in control I gave you many examples if you refure to accept them that is your choice but understand God is witness to your rejection of His word.

I never once sugggestted God was a control freak or even all controlling. I do know that nothing happens on this earth outside of God's knowledge. I also know that God has to allow both the good and the bad to come into our lives.

Again I did not say God brought bad into our lives I said he has to allow it to come in.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:In a normal human being in a normal environment how does a person's character developed?

If a person never experiences "Bad times" will they develop character or ability to handle adversity?

If God truly wants us to be well rounded doesn't it make sense that God will allow adversity to come into our lives from time to time?

The idea that God wants us to go through life with no adversity (rain) in our lives says God wants us to be a desert, and that is simply not true.

Again God is not the author of the adversity but God will allow it and to deny that point is to deny that God wants us to develop a Christ like character.

Your thoughts?
Hi Ed,

Here is how my character is developed!

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:In a normal human being in a normal environment how does a person's character developed?

Your thoughts?
Hi Ed,

Here is how my character is developed!

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Romans 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Actually it was probably the character already developed in you that allowed you to accept those words as truth.

victoryword

Post by victoryword »

Justaned wrote:Are you serious?
Yes
Character is built in times of testing. Even Jesus was tested. How is it we accept the testing of Jesus be refuse to believe that God would allow us to be tested in similar ways.

Testing does NOT develop character. Jesus' character was already developed and thus He passed His tests. Many people fall during testing due to not having already developed their character.
  • And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended. (Mark 4:17)
scripture clearly states God is in control I gave you many examples if you refure to accept them that is your choice but understand God is witness to your rejection of His word.
I don't reject God's Word Ed. Just your prooftexting that has yet to bring any validity to your false doctrine that actually casts aspersions on God's wonderful character.
I never once sugggestted God was a control freak or even all controlling. I do know that nothing happens on this earth outside of God's knowledge. I also know that God has to allow both the good and the bad to come into our lives.
If God is controlling all things then He is an unsecure control freak Ed. Why can't you live and accept the conclusions of your false theology?
Again I did not say God brought bad into our lives I said he has to allow it to come in.
Under the "God is in control" fantasy, saying He allowed it is no different than saying He does it.

victoryword

Post by victoryword »

SD, it is always easy to give your prooftext and act as if I did not give any Scripture to make my case, so you just ignore my Scripture and give your own prooftext. You taking pages from Ed's play book?

Tell me something, why did Jesus say that those in Mark 4 fell when they went through a test if testing develops character? In Luke 6 and Matthew 7 Jesus talks about two different people who went through the trials of life. One whose house (character) was already established and one whose house (character) was built on sand (the "God is in control" teachings are sand). The first one made it through the test and the second one fell. Character was determined BEFORE the test.

Now, a better rendering of James:

2 My brothers and sisters, you will face all kinds of trouble. When you do, think of it as pure joy. 3 Your faith will be put to the test. You know that when that happens it will produce in you the strength to continue. 4 The strength to keep going must be allowed to finish its work. Then you will be all you should be. You will have everything you need. (New International Reader's Version)

The only way to pass the test if YOU allow the work to be finished. The test itself does NOT develop character. You must already have strength of character developed then you will be able to allow the test to finish its work.

I have seen too many people backslide in trials, therefore either James is wrong or the way many of you interpret James is wrong. I'll go with the latter since Jesus made it clear that trials do not develop character.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

victoryword wrote:SD, it is always easy to give your prooftext and act as if I did not give any Scripture to make my case, so you just ignore my Scripture and give your own prooftext. You taking pages from Ed's play book?

Tell me something, why did Jesus say that those in Mark 4 fell when they went through a test if testing develops character? In Luke 6 and Matthew 7 Jesus talks about two different people who went through the trials of life. One whose house (character) was already established and one whose house (character) was built on sand (the "God is in control" teachings are sand). The first one made it through the test and the second one fell. Character was determined BEFORE the test.

Now, a better rendering of James:

2 My brothers and sisters, you will face all kinds of trouble. When you do, think of it as pure joy. 3 Your faith will be put to the test. You know that when that happens it will produce in you the strength to continue. 4 The strength to keep going must be allowed to finish its work. Then you will be all you should be. You will have everything you need. (New International Reader's Version)

The only way to pass the test if YOU allow the work to be finished. The test itself does NOT develop character. You must already have strength of character developed then you will be able to allow the test to finish its work.

I have seen too many people backslide in trials, therefore either James is wrong or the way many of you interpret James is wrong. I'll go with the latter since Jesus made it clear that trials do not develop character.
Why did those in Mark 4 fail because when the word came to them their hardened heart did not receive it, they had nothing to build (character) on. So instead of growing in character they rejected their trials (contrary to how scripture says we should act when faced with trials) and therefore they failed.

I can't see how anyone deny this since what I say is exactly what Dake said.

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

In New Testament Greek, the same word can be used for trial, test, or temptation. After all, trials which come do often turn into tests of our confidence in God and His Word. And along with the test will often come the temptation to doubt God and His Word.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

fatherfisher wrote:In New Testament Greek, the same word can be used for trial, test, or temptation. After all, trials which come do often turn into tests of our confidence in God and His Word. And along with the test will often come the temptation to doubt God and His Word.

I always think of David standing before Goliath. Here David reveals the foundation blocks of his trust in God. 1 Samuel 17:34-36 (NKJV)
34 But David said to Saul, "Your servant used to keep his father's sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock,
35 I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it.
36 Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God."

Each of these trials or "bad" things that came into David's life were faith builders, not faith destroyers. David stood in front of this foe because each of these events had build more trust more assurance in David of God's protection. But David had to experience them to gain this insight.