Dake Bible Discussion BoardPurgatory

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Purgatory

Post by Justaned »

Reuben wrote:I keep wondering how off the Scripture they go... however Catholicism does not believe in Sola scriptura. Wikipedia offers this explanation in contrast to the protestant reformation to the view of the catholic.
By contrast, the Roman Catholic, Eastern Orthodox, and Oriental Orthodox Churches teach that the Scriptures are not the only infallible source of Christian doctrine. In their view "the Church [...] 'does not derive her certainty about all revealed truths from the holy Scriptures alone. Both Scripture and Tradition must be accepted and honoured with equal sentiments of devotion and reverence.
I guess this answers the question and problem.
Do you have any scripture that even remotely suggests that is the wrong approach? Can you find any where in scripture that Sola Scriptura was ever meant to be?

If Jesus wanted Sola Scriptura wouldn't it be logical to expect that in Matthew 28 that instead of Jesus telling the disciples to go make disciples Jesus would have said record or write all that I have taught you?

I know I'm being a little silly but we know so very little of what Paul taught on his 4 missionary journeys, if Sola Scriptura was God's plan don't you think God would have insisted on better notes being kept?

Let me ask one other question. I think we all can agree there are important different things mentioned in the Bible and not in another place. Baptism in salvation for example.

Some places say just believe and you will be saved, others say repent and be baptized and you will be saved.

If God really intended for Sola Scriptura then we have to conclude God also intended for this doctrine to be a one of contention that will split the church. With many holding differing views of what is required for salvation.

However if God intended for the Human head of the church to seek God's wisdom on this through the testimony of the Apostles, Holy Spirit or word of mouth teaching and then to state one or the other as doctrine of Christianity, doesn't it make more sense?

Do we fight for Sola Scriptura as a clearly stated doctrine referred to in scipture or do we fight against it because to accept otherwise means the Catholic Church might be right? Personally I believe Sola Scriptura exists for one reason and one reason only as justification for the Protestant split with Rome.