Dake Bible Discussion BoardQuestions about the Holy Spirit

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Questions about the Holy Spirit

Post by Justaned »

Here is the full question
The Word of God commands us to be filled with the Spirit, i.e. the Holy Spirit.
Ephesians 5:18 (NKJV)
18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,
This command, “be filled with the Spirit” comes to us from the Koine Greek verb (PLEROO). This verb isn’t a suggestion but a command in the “imperative mood”; not doing so would instantly produce a sin.

It’s in the “present tense”, which connotes a continuous action or keep on doing this; i.e. being filled with the Spirit and it literally means to fill up a deficiency. Pleroo, or being filled is in the “passive voice”, thus the believer receives the action of the verb of being filled. The word with as in, with the Spirit, it's actually the Greek word EN and means by the Spirit.
The word (EN) is a preposition in the “dative case” which signifies advantage or in other words, it’s to the believers advantage to be filled with the Spirit continuously.

Every born again believer in Christ has the Spirit the very moment after they believe the Gospel message and totally put their undivided trust in the Person and finished work of God’s Son Jesus Christ.
Notice the action and timing of the action in the following verses.
Ephesians 1:11-13 (NKJV) Speaking of Jesus:
11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will,
12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise,
God’s sealing or stamp of approval is non other then God The Holy Spirit Himself sent to dwell within the body or temple of every true believer in Christ to guide and instruct and comfort along with many other functions.
God has further promised that this is a permanent situation but without mentioning the quantitative aspect, i.e. the “total” filling is not guaranteed
and this is not due to any fault of God, needless to say, but to the individual believer.
The indwelling Spirit of God can be grieved and quenched but Scripture commands us not to do this.
The BIG QUESTIONS are:
How do we grieve and quench the Spirit and since we are commanded to be filled with the Spirit, how is this accomplished.
I have found that most believers are very uninformed with regards to this function but please don’t be shy in posting your response!
Here are two answers
We are filled with the Spirit at the point of salvation but when believers commit that first act of sin after salvation the total filling and control of the Spirit is quenched and the believer is instructed to fill this deficiency.
The only thing that grieves or quenches the Spirit is when the believer sins; the only way to recover from that condition is the exercise of
1 John 1:9 (NKJV)
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
No believer is ever totally free of their Old Sin Nature until they are removed from their present physical body by death or the rapture.
All believers at any one point in time are either carnal or spiritual, it is an absolute, which means it is either 100 percent one way or the other, and there is no 25percent carnal and 75 percent spiritual or 50/50 as it were. What this means is that ones old sin nature is in control 100 percent of the time or the Holy Spirit is 100 percent in control. Anything that the believer does in the way of works for rewards, will be awarded at the Judgment seat of Christ shortly after the resurrection of the believers body when Christ returns for His bride the church.
The efforts of working for Christ in any form must come from the influence or guiding of the Holy Spirit not from the dictates of ones old sin nature commonly referred to as the flesh. The Koine Greek word (SARX) is used interchangeably for the flesh, the old sin nature and the word carnal. The all represent the believer being dictated to by their old sin nature and is the energy of the flesh in action.
If there is any unconfessed sin in the believers life the efforts performed are from the old sin nature and they will be burned up like wood, hay and straw. The works performed while in fellowship or under the control of the Holy Spirit will be counted at the judgment seat of Christ as gold, silver and precious stones and these don’t burn.
1 Corinthians 3:8-15 (NKJV) Paul is speaking here:
8 Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, you are God's building.
10 According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it.
11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
12 Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw,
13 each one's work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is.
14 If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward.
15 If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.
This is not a judgment for sins, that was all accomplished at the cross on the person of Jesus Christ, God’s appointed one, He took our sins on Himself and the Father judged them in His Son; salvation is a done deal and Jesus paid the full price!
Ephesians 2:8-9 (NKJV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,
9 not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Ephesians 5:18 (NKJV)
18 And do not be drunk with wine, in which is dissipation; but be filled with the Spirit,
The word dissipation is translated from the Koine Greek word (ASOTIA) and it infers that the one filled with wine is under its control and acting like the unsaved.
ASOTIA is a compound word the first part (A) is what’s known as the alpha privative or a negative in the Greek, it is coupled with (SOZO) which is where we get the word saved, i.e. those under the influence of to much wine are dictated to by the wine and acting as an unsaved person. The word (but) in, (but be filled) is the Koine (ALLA) and is a contrastive conjunction which say, don’t be controlled buy the wine (but) be filled with and controlled by the Holy Spirit!
Coming from the Pentecostal perspective, I believe we are filled with the Holy Spirit at salvation but we have not yet learned to yield our will to the Holy Spirit that now dwells within us.

We grieve the Holy Spirit when we quench His leading.

It is a very hard thing for a physical being to yield himself to a spiritual being that moves in a higher realm of knowledge and truth.

But as we learn to allow our will to be shaped and formed by that Holy Spirit our life more conforms to the Christ likeness we are to exemplify.

We experience this leading beginning at salvation because scripture tells us we can not come to God unless we are lead of the Spirit. However because this sensitivity to spiritual things isn’t yet fully developed we tend to move on instead of allowing our spirit man to learn to seek the leading of the Holy Spirit in all things.

This lack of sensitivity does not effect our salvation but it does cause us to miss the leading of the Holy Spirit from time to time, which in turn usually results in us not accomplishing all that God has willed for us. We miss opportunities to witness Jesus to others, we miss the opportunity to pray for someone that really needs to know God loves them at that moment. We miss the opportunity to serve God in the fullness that He provided for us to serve in.

And that grieves the Holy Spirit who was sent to guide and assist us in these tasks.
How would you answer the question.

bibleman
Administrator

Re: Questions about the Holy Spirit

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote: The BIG QUESTIONS are:
How do we grieve and quench the Spirit and since we are commanded to be filled with the Spirit, how is this accomplished.
I have found that most believers are very uninformed with regards to this function but please don’t be shy in posting your response!

How would you answer the question.
Hi Justaned,

Filling is accomplished by agreement, unity and submission to the Holy Spirit. Dake addresses this very well.
Thus it becomes clear how the Holy Spirit dwells in man, and how one can have God in a measure or in all fulness. To the extent a man is consecrated to God and is one with Him, to that extent he is filled with the Spirit. To the extent one is filled with the Spirit he is in union with the Holy Spirit, and the Spirit dwells in him. Thus if one has only a measure of the Spirit he is not fully possessed by the Spirit, or baptized in all the fulness of God. When one is baptized in the Spirit the union and oneness of man and God are complete. The whole life of such a man is wholly surrendered and yielded to God and totally consecrated to do the whole will of God. He is fully sanctified (set apart unto God) and prepared unto every good work (2 Tim. 2:21). His bodily members, his soul passions, feelings, desires, and appetites, and his spirit faculties are members of righteousness and instruments of divinity to accomplish the works of Christ among men. Finis J. Dake, The Baptism in the Holy Spirit, WORDsearch CROSS e-book, 8.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

Bibleman
Interesting!
That answers only one of the questions.
The other was how to we quench or grieve the Holy Spirit?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Justaned wrote:Bibleman
Interesting!
That answers only one of the questions.
The other was how to we quench or grieve the Holy Spirit?
Well, I am sure there are a number of ways and things one could do that would quench or grieve the Holy Spirit.

But I think it would be basically walking like and living like the world!

Ephesians 4:17 (KJV) This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,

Thus later in the chapter Paul writes:

Ephesians 4:30 (KJV) And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

Because of the verb tenses in Ephesians 5 (present perfect passive) the idea is to let the Holy Spirit continually be filling you.

Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit being WITH, IN, and UPON people (See John 14:15-17 and Acts 1:8).

If I have a pitcher of water, with an empty glass sitting next to it, I can see that the water is WITH the glass.
If I pour some of the water from the pitcher into the glass, I can see that the water is IN the glass.
If I keep pouring the water into the glass, at some point it will overflow, and the water will be UPON the glass.

Based on the significance of the Greek verbs, I think the command in Ephesians 5 relates more to this overflow of the Spirit out of our lives to those around us. Paul's point seems to be that just as anyone can see what happens when someone in the world comes under the influence of an artificial stimulant (the drunk stumbling down the street), so people should be able to see something different in our behavior when the Spirit keeps filling us like that glass, to overflowing: singing, giving thanks, submitting, etc.

How are we filled this way? See John 7:37-39. Thirst, come to Jesus, believe in Him and His word.

Grieving the Spirit, in context, has to do with conduct which can sadden Him in us and in others we treat in such ways (Ephesians 4:23-32). Quenching the Spirit, pouring cold water on His fire, has to do with obstructing His work in my life or the lives of others (1 Thess. 5:19-22).

davido
Be Strong in the Power of His Might

Post by davido »

I've only come across the unpardonable sin in my reading once.
Thus '"grieving the Spirit" is likened to one whom has the
gifts of the Spirit, one obedient, faithful, an ambassador of Christ,
that turns, that changes sides to that of Satan.
God, Jesus, The Holy Spirit are persons, of which all have
a distinct personality, but all three are in perfect harmany
as in a perfect symphonthy. The Holy Spirit is one of liberty
to accomplish his many functions, primarily the great servant
of God, the general manager of all Gods wealth. The Holy
Spirit creates, heals, casts out devils, convicts of sin,
redeems, ressurects, inspires scripture, distrubutes gifts,
forms the body of Christ, endues with power, changes lives,
directs gospel work, frees from sin, bears witness, searches the deep things of God,
Brings to remembrance and teaches and guides into all thruth,
reveals secrests and many more functions.

Thus the Holy Spirit talks to us, entrusts us, and those ministering
under His leading, suddenly turn aside to the doctrines of devils,
thus committing the unpardonable sin. One thus grives the Holy Spirit.

For the Spirit Filled believer then, it is essential to be obdedient,
prayful, medatating without ceasing, being convicted of sin and
repenting continually to be more like Christ often failing, but
continuing to please God. We are not perfect, but we continually
strive to overcome our iniquities and the Holy Spirit is always
in us, always exercising the works of The Comforter that
Jesus Christ promised us when He ascended to go to set
at the right hand of God. Thus we are the children of God,
we always see ourselves as in Ephesians describing whom we
are and substituting our names in Ephesians as Paul describes
whom we are in Christ Jesus. We of The Spirit of God,
have no our consciencdes burned as with a hot iron, but
continually hear The Spirit, and are directed to scripture by
the intervention of The Holy Spirit.

Derek Prince give an excellent illustration of being Spirit filled.
one man waters with a water bucket,
one man uses a fire hose.
Thats the differance.

The more we are led of The Spirit the more important it
is not to backslide. The consequences of having been
of The Spirit and then to backslide are a more heavy
judgement then, than one whom has not The Spirit
operating within them, but has accepted Jesus Christ
as Lord and Savious. The more we partake of the Spirit
the more that we must adhere and continue with The Spirit's
many works on our behalf.
Does that answer your question.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

davido wrote:The more we are led of The Spirit the more important it
is not to backslide. The consequences of having been
of The Spirit and then to backslide are a more heavy
judgement then, than one whom has not The Spirit
operating within them, but has accepted Jesus Christ
as Lord and Savious. The more we partake of the Spirit
the more that we must adhere and continue with The Spirit's
many works on our behalf.
Do you have any Biblical proof of that statement?

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

fatherfisher wrote:Because of the verb tenses in Ephesians 5 (present perfect passive) the idea is to let the Holy Spirit continually be filling you.

Jesus speaks of the Holy Spirit being WITH, IN, and UPON people (See John 14:15-17 and Acts 1:8).

If I have a pitcher of water, with an empty glass sitting next to it, I can see that the water is WITH the glass.
If I pour some of the water from the pitcher into the glass, I can see that the water is IN the glass.
If I keep pouring the water into the glass, at some point it will overflow, and the water will be UPON the glass.

Based on the significance of the Greek verbs, I think the command in Ephesians 5 relates more to this overflow of the Spirit out of our lives to those around us. Paul's point seems to be that just as anyone can see what happens when someone in the world comes under the influence of an artificial stimulant (the drunk stumbling down the street), so people should be able to see something different in our behavior when the Spirit keeps filling us like that glass, to overflowing: singing, giving thanks, submitting, etc.

How are we filled this way? See John 7:37-39. Thirst, come to Jesus, believe in Him and His word.

Grieving the Spirit, in context, has to do with conduct which can sadden Him in us and in others we treat in such ways (Ephesians 4:23-32). Quenching the Spirit, pouring cold water on His fire, has to do with obstructing His work in my life or the lives of others (1 Thess. 5:19-22).

Thanks for you answers but I don't think you address how to be filled with the Holy Spirit only that we should and what happens when we do.
Also you provide the results of quenching the Holy Spirit rather than the actual act. What is the conduct that saddens Him?

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

John 7 explains how to be filled. The other passages give examples of how the Spirit may be grieved and quenched. But there is obviously more than one way. The Spirit is a Person so there is no pat formula.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

fatherfisher wrote:John 7 explains how to be filled. The other passages give examples of how the Spirit may be grieved and quenched. But there is obviously more than one way. The Spirit is a Person so there is no pat formula.
Can you explain that answer? Remember the question is asked in reference to Eph 5:18 which is instructions to a Christian.

This command, “be filled with the Spirit” comes to us from the Koine Greek verb (PLEROO). This verb isn’t a suggestion but a command in the “imperative mood”; not doing so would instantly produce a sin.

It’s in the “present tense”, which connotes a continuous action or keep on doing this; i.e. being filled with the Spirit and it literally means to fill up a deficiency. Pleroo, or being filled is in the “passive voice”, thus the believer receives the action of the verb of being filled. The word with as in, with the Spirit, it's actually the Greek word EN and means by the Spirit.
The word (EN) is a preposition in the “dative case” which signifies advantage or in other words, it’s to the believers advantage to be filled with the Spirit continuously.

So the question as asked is how does a Christian go about this.

The most common answer is to read the Bible but we all know there are many people that read the Bible constantly that aren't fully filled with the spirit. They have the spirit indwelling within them from salvation but haven't fully yielded their will to that spirit.

Please don't confuse this with the process of Sanctification.