Dake Bible Discussion BoardQuestions about the Holy Spirit

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Questions about the Holy Spirit

Post by Justaned »

branham1965 wrote:MAY I PLEASE ASK THIS AS WELL??? :agrue:

IS THE initial evidence of the BIBLE Holy Ghost Baptism = speaking in other tongues as the Holy Spirit of God gives the utterance????????????? ACTS 2:4.

1.yes it is !!!!

2.no it is not!!!!!

3.who cares what you think billy.buzz off loser!!!!
Billy
The offical Pentecostal answer is yes it is. By that I mean the major Pentecostal denominations cite speaking in tongues as being the initial evidence. If you read the book of ACTS each manifestation of the what is known as the baptism includes speaking in tongues.

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

bibleman wrote:
Justaned wrote:
branham1965 wrote:1. DO YOU GOOD PASTORS BELIEVE A PERSON CAN BE FILLED =FILLED WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT WITHOUT=WITHOUT HAVING THE HOLY GHOST BAPTISM AND SPEAKING IN OTHER TONGUES??

2.DO YOU BELIEVE THAT A PERSON IS IN OBEDIENCE ACTS 5:32 WHO REFUSES TO BE BAPTIZED IN THE HOLY GHOST AND SPEAK IN OTHER TONGUES???

3.DO YOU THINK THAT BORN AGAIN BELIEVERS WILL GO IN THE RAPTURE WHO DO NOT HAVE THE PENTECOSTAL BAPTISM???

THANK YOU.
Billy
Here is my take. I believe some will disagree but as you know that doesn't bother me a lot.

First I think at salavation you recieve the Holy Spirit as scripture clearly states. Since the Holy Spirit is a person not some energy force you have all of HIm or nothing. Trying to say you only get so much is like saying when someone comes to my house that only half of them are here. That's nonsense.

If you are saved you have all of the Holy Spirit dwelling in you and you will be raptured when saved people are raptured.

As to refusing to speak in tongues.
I don't think anyone should refuse anything of God. If they do refuse something of God I would suspect their salavation as they seem to foster rebellion in their heart.

I believe a person when saved gets all of the Holy Spirit as I explained above. Then there is a process that takes place in their lives, some people call it sanctification and others call it something different but I view it as a learning process where we learn to yield our will to the leading of the Holy Spirit.

This is very difficult process but one that must occur if we want to be fully lead of the Holy Spirit. Once we reach a point of full yieldedness the Holy Spirit is able to fully use us even to the point of speaking through us. Some for various reasons resist this and it never happens to them but I don't believe that effects their salvation it just makes them less useable.

It is taught when you reach this point that Holy Spirit has full control of your will, you will speak in tongues. While that is exactly what happened in the Book of Acts no where in scripture is it listed a requirement.

I'm less interested in whether a person is speaking in tongues and more in whether they are serving God with all their heart, mind and spirit. Remember the Holy Spirit if given us to lead us, teach us, comfort us and to make us witnesses to Jesus Christ. I see not mention in scripture that the Holy Spirit is sent to thrill or amaze us or to prove our spirituality.

Some allow emotion to bring forth a tongue and I have real sympathy for those people since they were seeking either a sign, a manifestation or the approval of man instead of seeking what they should have been seeking, more of God.

So in answer to question 1 you can be save and not speak in tongues
To question 2 I don't think any in obedience refuses anything God has for them.
To question 3 You do not have to speak in tongues to be included with the rest of Christianity.

Hi ed,

If you look at your answers they are not what Billy asked on 2 of his questions.

So in answer to question 1 you can be save and not speak in tongues (The question was not about salvation)
To question 3 You do not have to speak in tongues to be included with the rest of Christianity. (The question did not deal with Christianity but the Rapture)

Are we getting old or what??? (smile)
Are we getting old or what??? (smile
Not at all, Billy asked the question and I answered Billy. I'm sure he understood my answers.

scottae316
Wrestle Against Spiritual Wickedness in High Places

Post by scottae316 »

branham1965 wrote:MAY I PLEASE ASK THIS AS WELL??? :agrue:

IS THE initial evidence of the BIBLE Holy Ghost Baptism = speaking in other tongues as the Holy Spirit of God gives the utterance????????????? ACTS 2:4.

1.yes it is !!!!

2.no it is not!!!!!

3.who cares what you think billy.buzz off loser!!!!
The answer is #1. yes it is. If anyone says it is #3, they should be ignored.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

I find the last sentence of the original question which wasn't asked by me is very telling. Especially in light of some of the answers this has received.

The statement made by the person that posed the question was
I have found that most believers are very uninformed with regards to this function but please don’t be shy in posting your response!
The function mentioned in this statement is
The BIG QUESTIONS are:
How do we grieve and quench the Spirit and since we are commanded to be filled with the Spirit, how is this accomplished.
What most give for answers is admonishments for the need for the Holy Spirit or the operation of the Holy Spirit. Most shy away from even addressing what grieves the Holy Spirit usually speaking only in generalities. Only Jamie gave the scriptural admonishment and directions for receiving the Holy Spirit. But even this answer does not fully answer the question.

davido
Be Strong in the Power of His Might

Post by davido »

Justaned
Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 am by Justaned

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:36 am by Justaned
davido wrote:
The more we are led of The Spirit the more important it
is not to backslide. The consequences of having been
of The Spirit and then to backslide are a more heavy
judgement then, than one whom has not The Spirit
operating within them, but has accepted Jesus Christ
as Lord and Savious. The more we partake of the Spirit
the more that we must adhere and continue with The Spirit's
many works on our behalf.

Do you have any Biblical proof of that statement?

I'm sure I heard that from Derek Prince.
Try the life of Judas for proof.

It makes perfect sense, that when the Holy Spirit
has given the operation of gifts to a believer,
and has been a full representative of The Spirit
and then they go to spiritual adultry, that would
be the worst case senerio for grieving The Holy
Spirit.

It is the nature of The Holy Spirit to be where Jesus Christ
is being glorified. The Holy Spirit to not as apt to attend
a board meeting but rather where worship to Jesus is
being administered. How many man and women actually
reached the fulfillment of The Spirit's gifts and then
lied, turned away.

The other examply would be Annias and Saphera (sp) in
the book of Acts. One they committed themselves, and
lied about the money received for the land, one came
in and was addressed about the sin and fell dead.
Then the other came in and the same. The Holy Spirit
obviously was grieved by their being a part of those
whom were following and Spirit and then they began
to lie.

What other characters from the bible have been full
representatives of God and then turned the other way?

Moses it is said disobeyed God and was not allowed to
enter the promised land.

We have others, Hezekiah that God answered their
prayer, but doubt caused them to suffer the conssequences.

We can see, by todays standards, people do not realize
that God is of His word when it comes to disobedience,
but rather Deuteronomy 28, has blessings for adhering
to God and curses for abandoning God. God will surely
not be slack in enforcing what is due nations and men
for their adherance or abandonment.

Look at our nation, having been the light for decades and
now having backslidden to the taking of prayer from
children in school, the hinderance of the Christian
faith in displaying the ten commandments.

Would you say, based on the following decisions that
God will bless or curse our nation?

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

however that’s not true:

U.S. Supreme Court Decisions
(arranged by date)

1948 McCollum v. Board of Education Dist. 71, 333 U.S. 203 (1948)
prohibiting Court finds religious instruction in public schools a violation of the establishment clause and therefore unconstitutional.
1952 Burstyn v. Wilson, 72 S. Ct. 777 (1952)
1952 Government may not censor a motion picture because it is offensive to religious beliefs.
1961 Torcaso v. Watkins, 367 U.S. 488 (1961)
1952 Court holds that the state of Maryland cannot require applicants for public office to swear that they believed in the existence of God. The court unanimously rules that a religious test violates the Establishment Clause.
1962 Engel v. Vitale, 82 S. Ct. 1261 (1962)
prohibiting Any kind of prayer, composed by public school districts, even nondenominational prayer, is unconstitutional government sponsorship of religion.
1963) Abington School District v. Schempp, 374 U.S. 203 (1963)
prohibiting Court finds Bible reading over school intercom unconstitutional and Murray v. Curlett, 374 U.S. 203 (1963) - Court finds forcing a child to participate in Bible reading and prayer unconstitutional.
1968) Epperson v. Arkansas, 89 S. Ct. 266 (1968)
prohibiting State statue banning teaching of evolution is unconstitutional. A state cannot alter any element in a course of study in order to promote a religious point of view. A state's attempt to hide behind a nonreligious motivation will not be given credence unless that state can show a secular reason as the foundation for its actions.
1971) Lemon v. Kurtzman, 91 S. Ct. 2105 (1971)
prohibiting Established the three part test for determining if an action of government violates First Amendment's separation of church and state:
prohibiting 1) the government action must have a secular purpose;
prohibiting 2) its primary purpose must not be to inhibit or to advance religion;
prohibiting 3) there must be no excessive entanglement between government and religion.
1980) Stone v. Graham, 449 U.S. 39 (1980)
prohibiting Court finds posting of the Ten Commandments in schools unconstitutional.
1985) Wallace v. Jaffree, 105 S. Ct. 2479 (1985)
prohibiting State's moment of silence at public school statute is unconstitutional where legislative record reveals that motivation for statute was the encouragement of prayer. Court majority silent on whether "pure" moment of silence scheme, with no bias in favor of prayer or any other mental process, would be constitutional.
1987) Edwards v. Aquillard, 107 S. Ct. 2573 (1987)
prohibiting Unconstitutional for state to require teaching of "creation science" in all instances in which evolution is taught. Statute had a clear religious motivation.
1989) Allegheny County v. ACLU, 492 U.S. 573 (1989)
prohibiting Court finds that a nativity scene displayed inside a government building violates the Establishment Clause.
1992 Lee v. Weisman, 112 S. Ct. 2649 (1992)
prohibiting Unconstitutional for a school district to provide any clergy to perform nondenominational prayer at elementary or secondary school graduation. It involves government sponsorship of worship. Court majority was particularly concerned about psychological coercion to which children, as opposed to adults, would be subjected, by having prayers that may violate their beliefs recited at their graduation ceremonies.
1993 constitutional Church of Lukumi Babalu Ave., Inc. v. Hialeah, 113 S. Ct. 2217 (1993)
demonic City's ban on killing animals for religious sacrifices, while allowing sport killing and hunting, was unconstitutional discrimination against the Santeria religion.