Dake Bible Discussion BoardWHY SATAN ROAMS THE EARTH SEEING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Ray

Re: WHY SATAN ROAMS THE EARTH SEEING WHOM HE MAY DEVOUR

Post by Ray »

fatherfisher wrote:In the context of Matthew 12, the main point Jesus makes is that by overcoming the power of Satan in casting out demons, it’s proof that the kingdom of God has come upon them. His ministry cannot be attributed to Satan, since if it were he would be fighting against himself. What Jesus is doing when He casts out demons is plundering Satan’s possessions, proving He is stronger than Satan. The analogy is that Jesus is the plunderer, who has entered Satan's house and begun to wreak havoc . . . something He couldn't do unless He first bound the strong man.

But although Christ’s ministry inaugurated the kingdom and provided a sort of preview of coming attractions, the kingdom still awaits its consummation at His return. And that is what John writes about in The Revelation. It seems plain to me that the binding of Satan and his removal to the bottomless pit in Revelation 20 is later than his being thrown down to earth in Revelation 12. Throughout the Book of Revelation until chapter 20, John views Satan as very much unbound and raging, very much an adversary like “a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour”.
Brother Fisher,

Here CHRIST is presenting HIS power over the demonic forces of this world,
and proving HE has no alliance with satan, and is proof of Satan's defeat. HE is Clearly claiming that HE has bound the strong man (satan). Yes, JESUS acknowledges that satan still has an organized kingdom, which "stands" according to Matthew 12:26. Nothing JESUS says implies that Satan will from then on be inactive in this world. But he (satan) is bound and defeated to the extent that he can not stop the arrival or the advancement of The Gospel or the message of Salvation to the nations (gentiles) who were in all past history deceived. What Jesus points out, is that Satan cannot stop the deliverance of those who had been previously under satan's dominion, as JESUS has bound the strong man (satan) so that he should not deceive the nations no more.
those

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

Simply, Satan is a defeated foe.

"And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." (Coll. 2:15). Satan can only do what God allows him to do.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

Ironman wrote:Simply, Satan is a defeated foe.

"And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." (Coll. 2:15). Satan can only do what God allows him to do.
Hi Haz,

Good word... I would add to it that "Satan can only do what God allows or what MAN allows him to do.

Matthew 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Sometimes we allow Satan to do what God has commanded that he should not do... but we allow it anyway.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

"AND the God of Peace shall crush (bruise kjv)Satan under your feet shortly.
the grace of our Lord Jesus be with you." NASB 1973

"BUT we wanted to come to you-I,Paul,more than once (NASB footnote - Literally both once and twice)but Satan thwarted(hindered kjv) us."

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

bibleman wrote:
Ironman wrote:Simply, Satan is a defeated foe.

Hi Haz,

Good word... I would add to it that "Satan can only do what God allows or what MAN allows him to do.

Matthew 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Sometimes we allow Satan to do what God has commanded that he should not do... but we allow it anyway.
Yes, you are right, I never even thought to add that but its true, we allow satan to talk us into doing all sorts of things, well, sadly, I sometime do!! Praise God for Jesus His sacrifice and Fathers forgiveness.

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

Ray

Post by Ray »

victoryword wrote:
Ray wrote:
fatherfisher wrote:What I have believed that a period of time from the CROSS until now, that Rev 20 calls a thousand years that satan was to be bound (stopped, halted, hindered) of deceiving the nations (the Gentiles)

However, Rev. 20.1-3 does not state that Satan is merely stopped or hindered; he is not only made powerless (the picture given by the chain binding Satan), he is also removed from the scene of action (cast into the bottomless pit, shut up, and sealed in). No matter how figurative one may want to make the language in these 3 verses, they still signify the removal of Satan himself from the sphere of his previous operation as well as his inability to continue his work.

It is obvious that from the cross until now, Satan has not been removed, no matter how much some may think he has been hindered from deceiving the nations.
Brother Fisher,

Tell me how do you interpret verse 29 below in context with the preceeding verses ?

Matthew 12:
22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.
23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?
24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
Not answering for Double-F, but I personally understand the passages as teaching that through the redemptive work of Christ, Satan would be bound in the same sense that he is destroyed (Heb. 2:14; 1 John 3:8). "Destroyed" does not mean that Satan has been obliterated out of existence and "bound" does not mean that he is inactive. It simply means that Satan has been made ineffective against the believer and on the basis of authority in Christ Jesus we are able to confront and overcome his works.
Victory Word,

above you wrote:
"bound" does not mean that he is inactive. It simply means that Satan has been made ineffective against the believer and on the basis of authority in Christ Jesus we are able to confront and overcome his works"

The word "bind" in Matt 12:29 and the word "bound" in Rev 20:3 is the same word in the greek language with the same meaning.

Brother, Tell me do you believe "that Satan has been made ineffective against the believer and on the basis of authority in Christ Jesus we are able to confront and overcome his works". As you said "bound" simply means.

If So would not satan be in fact "bound" Right now?

titus213
Do Good to Them that Hate You

Post by titus213 »

After asking me about my understanding of Jesus' illustration used in Matthew 12 regarding binding the strong man, Ray replies:
Nothing JESUS says implies that Satan will from then on be inactive in this world. But he (satan) is bound and defeated to the extent that he can not stop the arrival or the advancement of The Gospel or the message of Salvation to the nations (gentiles) who were in all past history deceived. What Jesus points out, is that Satan cannot stop the deliverance of those who had been previously under satan's dominion, as JESUS has bound the strong man (satan) so that he should not deceive the nations no more.

You have a few problems here, Ray:

1. It's always a bad idea to try to build a doctrine on an illustration or parable or analogy. Jesus mentions the binding of the strong man in response to the challenge of his demon exorcism, posed by the Pharisees. Neither He nor they are discussing the event described by John. Jesus uses the illustration of the stong man's house being plundered simply to show that He is stronger than Satan and his demons.

2. the mere use of the word "bound" in Matthew 12 does not for a moment require that it must be referring to the same event as John describes in Revelation 20. That is a fallacy of logic.

3. the event described by John in Revelation 20 clearly comes AFTER the Second Coming of Jesus in Revelation 19. And as I have mentioned before, John sees Satan NOT ONLY BOUND, but ALSO REMOVED FROM THE SCENE OF HIS ACTIVITY. He is no longer able to do anything in this world.

4. you ignore the obvious teaching throughout the New Testament that although there is a sense in which the Kingdom has come, there is another sense in which it is yet to be consummated. Perhaps it would be good to notice Jesus' response when the disciples asked Him about this following His resurrection (Acts 1.6-7). Christ's first coming inaugurated the end times, but they remain to be fulfilled at His second coming.