Dake Bible Discussion BoardInteresting view on Fasting

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Re: Interesting view on Fasting

Post by Justaned »

branham1965 wrote:i love the SCOTTISH. im not bashing them.he should know better.
IM NOT SAYING THAT PEOPLE CANNOT DO THIS AND BENEFIT.

SIGHS....have at it pilgrims.
Billy
What exactly do you object to?

brodave

Post by brodave »

What's the purpose of fasting?

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

what he is teaching as fasting is not FASTING.
if we were his disciples we would probably not be on here!!!!id be at some bar getting dead drunk chasing some harlot. :agrue:
if he was our source ....... THERE WOULD NOT BE 700++++ MILLION PENTECOSTAL CHARISMATICS ON EARTH!!!!PEOPLE BLEACHED THEIR BONES IN PRAYER...FASTED...ATE THE BOOK...AND SOUGHT GOD WITH EVERYTHING SO MILLIONS WOULD BE SAVED.
that is just for starters. :agrue:

Justaned wrote:
branham1965 wrote:i love the SCOTTISH. im not bashing them.he should know better.

Billy

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

brodave wrote:What's the purpose of fasting?

please see DARB Old Testament see the Reverend's article on prayer and fasting the cure for unbelief.

this ...scottish THEOLOGIAN :neutral: or whatever he ...is.. would change it to not texting,not using our computer,not emailing.... :neutral: :neutral: :neutral:

heaven forbid we deny our sinful flesh and buffet our bodies see 1Cor 9:27

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

branham1965 wrote:what he is teaching as fasting is not FASTING.
if we were his disciples we would probably not be on here!!!!id be at some bar getting dead drunk chasing some harlot. :agrue:
if he was our source ....... THERE WOULD NOT BE 700++++ MILLION PENTECOSTAL CHARISMATICS ON EARTH!!!!PEOPLE BLEACHED THEIR BONES IN PRAYER...FASTED...ATE THE BOOK...AND SOUGHT GOD WITH EVERYTHING SO MILLIONS WOULD BE SAVED.
that is just for starters. :agrue:

Justaned wrote:

Billy

Billy
How do you get from what he said in that video to being in a bar?

Fasting in my opinion if bringing our will into subjection to God's will, best practiced by denying the flesh something it desires. Now I can live without the internet, I have many times while on trips and because something more important came up. However I know some people to go without the internet or TV or something like that would be a real burden. They would actually suffer more from that than from not eating.
I think when we fast we must fast something that is very very important to us, in most cases it is food. But if you are one of these internet junkies that must be forced to eat then I would guess the internet is more important to you than food.

Two years ago the Pastor of the church I now attend decided to have a Daniel fast. I agreed because I wanted to support my Pastor. Frankly it was a joke and it was far worst for me to be on the Daniel fast than if I had just fasted food. However many people were blessed and testimonies abounded about how wonderful the fast was. Many commented about how they had grown spiritually and felt much closer to God. Me I was frustrated, couldn't eat this but I could that unless that was done this way and not that way but if it was done that way it could still be okay unless this happened to it, but if that happened then it was all good. Totally crazy to me. If you want to fast fast but I can't argue with the results from all reports the fast accomplished in some lives as much as a 40 day fast does in others.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

REVED
i dont know how i got in that bar. i dont know.stressed out of my gourd i guess. :crazyeyes:

i heard a Preacher from Rhema teach a version of this. i get it.but it takes abstaining from food to be a fast.sighs.one can not text or watch tv.or listen to anything but Gospel .at LFAC during Solemn Assembly for 3 days people fast.they abstain from food and even water.married couples abstain.

the LORD GOD dwells in Eternity.He defines fasting in the Word.AND HE KNOWS PAST PRESENT AND FUTURE.He knew it meant to abstain from food and water in Bible days and now in 2012.He was not sideswiped by modern technology.He is never suprised we have the examples in the Word.and none of them support the Professor's version.

Billy
How do you get from what he said in that video to being in a bar?

Fasting in my opinion if bringing our will into subjection to God's will, best practiced by denying the flesh something it desires. Now I can live without the internet, I have many times while on trips and because something more important came up. However I know some people to go without the internet or TV or something like that would be a real burden. They would actually suffer more from that than from not eating.
I think when we fast we must fast something that is very very important to us, in most cases it is food. But if you are one of these internet junkies that must be forced to eat then I would guess the internet is more important to you than food.

Two years ago the Pastor of the church I now attend decided to have a Daniel fast. I agreed because I wanted to support my Pastor. Frankly it was a joke and it was far worst for me to be on the Daniel fast than if I had just fasted food. However many people were blessed and testimonies abounded about how wonderful the fast was. Many commented about how they had grown spiritually and felt much closer to God. Me I was frustrated, couldn't eat this but I could that unless that was done this way and not that way but if it was done that way it could still be okay unless this happened to it, but if that happened then it was all good. Totally crazy to me. If you want to fast fast but I can't argue with the results from all reports the fast accomplished in some lives as much as a 40 day fast does in others.[/quote]

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Here is some excerpts from Wikipedia you may or may not agree with in referrence to fasting.
ChristianityThe "acceptable fast" is discussed in the biblical Book of Isaiah, chapter 58:6–7. In this chapter, the nation of Israel is rebuked for their fasting, and given this exhortation:

(verse 6) “Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke,
to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke?
(7) Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?"

This passage indicates that the acceptable fast is not merely abstinence from food or water, but a decision to fully obey God's commands to care for the poor and oppressed. Zechariah, chapter 7:5–10, also repeats this message. The opening chapter of the Book of Daniel, vv. 8–16, describes a partial fast and its effects on the health of its observers.

Benefits of fasting
(verse 8) "Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
(9) Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I."

(Isaiah 58:8–9)

Fasting is a practice in several Christian denominations or other churches. Some denominations do not practice it, considering it an external observance, but many individual believers choose to observe fasts at various times at their own behest.[32] The Lenten fast observed in the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church is a forty-day partial fast to commemorate the fast observed by Christ during his temptation in the desert. This is similar to the partial fasting within the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (abstaining from meat and milk) which takes place during certain times of the year and lasts for weeks. The Bible sets aside one whole day a year for fasting, The Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:27, 32 (CEV) says "Everyone must go without eating from the evening of the ninth to the evening of the tenth on the seventh month which is the Day of Atonement."

[edit] Biblical accountsMoses fasted for forty days and forty nights, twice back-to-back; the first, immediately before he received the tablets on the mountain with God. And the second, after coming down, seeing the Israelites practicing idolatry, and breaking the tablets in anger. (Deuteronomy 9:7–21)
King David fasted when the son of his adulterous union with Bathsheba was struck sick by God, in punishment for the adultery and for David's murder of Bathsheba's husband, Uriah the Hittite. Nevertheless, the son died, upon which David broke his fast (2 Samuel 12:15–25).
David used fasting as an act of humbling his soul (Psalm 35:13).
King Jehoshaphat proclaimed a fast throughout Judah for victory over the Moabites and Ammonites who were attacking them (2 Chronicles 20:3).
The prophet Joel called for a fast to avert the judgment of God. (Book of Joel 1:14,2:12, 15)
The people of Nineveh, in response to Jonah's prophecy, fasted to avert the judgment of God (Jonah 3:7).
The Jews of Persia, following Mordechai's example, fasted because of the genocidal decree of Haman. Queen Esther declared a three-day fast for all the Jews prior to risking her life in visiting King Ahasuerus uninvited (Esther 4).
The prophetess Anna, who proclaimed the baby Jesus to be the Messiah, prayed and fasted regularly in the Temple (Luke 2:37).
Jesus fasted for forty days and forty nights while in the desert, being tempted by Satan to turn stones into bread and eat them, among other temptations. (Matthew 4:2, Luke 4:2).
Jesus teaches on the outward appearance and demeanor of a fasting person (Matthew 6:16). It is also an assumed action of the believer (see: "And when you pray..." Matthew 6:5 – "When you fast..." Matthew 6:16)
Saul, better known by the Greek variant of his name, Paul, did not eat or drink anything for three days after he converted on the road to Damascus. (Book of Acts 9:9)
The church in Antioch were worshipping the Lord and fasting when the Holy Spirit told them to send Barnabas and Paul for work (Acts 13:2).
Paul and Barnabus appointed elders with prayer and fasting (Acts 14:23).
There are indications in the New Testament as well as from the Didache that members of an Early Christian Church fasted regularly.
[edit] Biblical teachingThe prophet Isaiah chastised the Israelites in Isaiah 58 for the unrighteous methods and motives of their fasting. He clarified some of the best reasons for fasting and listed both physical and spiritual benefits that would result (Isaiah 58:3–13).
Jesus warned his followers against fasting only to make others admire them. He provided practical steps on how to fast in private. (Matthew 6:16–18).
The Pharisees and John's disciples in Jesus' time fasted regularly and asked Jesus why his disciples did not. Jesus answered them using a parable (Matthew 9:14–15, Mark 2:18–20, Luke 5:33–39, see also Mark 2).
In some manuscripts Jesus ascribes the Disciples' inability to cast out spirits to a lack of prayer and fasting.9:29 These, however, are found in the more recent manuscripts and not in the earlier ones. The words "and fasting" are omitted from many modern translations for this reason.

Justaned

Post by Justaned »

Here is some more interesting reading on the subject for those that care to take the time to read it.
Again from Wikipedia

Protestant churches
In Protestantism, the continental reformers criticized fasting as a purely external observance that can never gain a person salvation. Martin Luther believed that a Christian may choose to fast individually as a spiritual exercise to discipline his own flesh, but that the time and manner of fasting should be left to the individual's discretion; thus, he rejected the collective diet rules and prohibitions imposed by the canon law of the Catholic Church.[38] This position was upheld by Lutheran churches, in that collective fasting was not officially enforced, whereas individual voluntary fasting was encouraged.[39] John Calvin went further in arguing that in general, instead of relying on designated fasting periods, the entire life of the religious should be "tempered with frugality and sobriety" in such a way as to produce "a sort of perpetual fasting". He believed that collective public fasting could only be appropriate in times of calamity and grief for the community.[40] Similarly, the Swiss Reformation of the "Third Reformer" Huldrych Zwingli began with an ostentatious public sausage-eating during Lent—though Zwingli himself did not partake of the sausage.

In general, fasting remains optional in most Protestant groups and is less popular among Protestants than among other Christian denominations.[40] Still, in more recent years, many churches affected by liturgical renewal movements have begun to encourage fasting as part of Lent and sometimes Advent, two penitential seasons of the liturgical year.

Members of the Anabaptist movement generally fast in private. The practice is not regulated by ecclesiastic authority.[41]

Some other Protestants consider fasting, usually accompanied by prayer, to be an important part of their personal spiritual experience, apart from any liturgical tradition.

[edit] Lutheranism
As explained above, the Lutheran Churches encourage individual fasting.[42] Certain modern Lutheran communities also advocate fasting during designated times such as Lent.[43] It is also considered to be an appropriate physical preparation for partaking of the Eucharist, but fasting is not necessary for receiving the sacrament. Martin Luther wrote in his Small Catechism "Fasting and bodily preparation are certainly fine outward training, but a person who has faith in these words, 'given for you' and 'shed for you for the forgiveness of sin' is really worthy and well prepared.".[44]

[edit] Classical Pentecostalism
Classical Pentecostalism does not have set days of abstinence and lent, but individuals in the movement may feel they are being directed by the Holy Spirit to undertake either short or extended fasts. Although Pentecostalism has not classified different types of fasting, certain writers within the movement have done so. Arthur Wallis writes about the "Normal Fast" in which pure water alone is consumed.[45] The "Black Fast" in which nothing, not even water, is consumed is also mentioned. Dr. Curtis Ward claims that undertaking a black fast beyond three days may lead to dehydration, may irreparably damage the kidneys, and result in possible death.[46] He further notes that nowhere in the New Testament is it recorded that anyone ever undertook a black fast beyond three days and that one should follow this biblical guideline. Dr. Herbert Shelton advises that one should drink water according to natural thirst.[47] In addition to the Normal Fast and the Black Fast, some undertake what is referred to as the Daniel Fast (or Partial Fast) in which only one type of food (e.g., fruit or fruit and non-starchy vegetables) is consumed.[45] In a Daniel Fast, meat is almost always avoided, in following the example of Daniel and his friends' refusal to eat the meat of Gentiles, which had been offered to idols and not slaughtered in a kosher manner. In some circles of Pentecostals, the term "fast" is simply used, and the decision to drink water is determined on an individual basis. In other circles profuse amounts of pure water is advised to be consumed during the fasting period to aid the cleansing of internal toxins. Most Pentecostal writers on fasting concur with Dr. Mark Mattson who says that sensible intermittent fasting with a sensible water intake can strengthen the organism and assist thwarting degenerative diseases.[48]

[edit] Charismatic
For charismatic Christians fasting is undertaken at what is described as the leading of God. Fasting is done in order to seek a closer intimacy with God, as well as an act of petition. Some take up a regular fast of one or two days each week as a spiritual observance. Members of holiness movements, such as those started by John Wesley and George Whitefield, often practice such regular fasts as part of their regimen.

Bible Basics
Proverbs

Post by Bible Basics »

OK. Thanks for giving it another listen.
branham1965 wrote:now ....ive seen it.i hope i never see it again.its nonsense.good grief.what next.hes a supposed to be an authority +hammer

an he sounds like a Scott!!!

Bible Basics wrote:No offense taken, branham1965.

I think you are right about needing to listen to it all the way through before judging it. See Proverbs 18:13.

Bible Basics

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

Good post REVED you beat me to it. :scatter: :scrambleup: :Fade-color :rainbow1: Yes i know.. i know..i know as Inspector Clouseau used to say..:scrambleup: ...on my big spoiled bulldog Kimbo i was going to post that Chapter tonight.
i had a Bible open to it even. :crazyeyes:
the great book GOD'S CHOSEN FAST BY ARTHUR WALLIS is on amazon for a penny.i read this book around 35 years ago.its a classic on this subject.the Reverend taught us this on a bus in Jerusalem Israel in March 1979.
total fast means no food and no water.
normal fast is no food.just water.
partial fasts are for the ill or others so inclined.
Arthur Wallis really treats it well.all his books are great.he was a great English Charismatic Leader.

Justaned wrote:Here is some excerpts from Wikipedia you may or may not agree with in referrence to fasting.
ChristianityThe "acceptable fast" is discussed in the biblical Book of Isaiah, chapter 58:6–7. In this chapter, the nation of Israel is rebuked for their fasting, and given this exhortation:

(verse 6) “Is not this the fast that I choose:
to loose the bonds of wickedness,
to undo the straps of the yoke,
to let the oppressed go free,
and to break every yoke?
(7) Is it not to share your bread with the hungry
and bring the homeless poor into your house;
when you see the naked, to cover him,
and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?"

This passage indicates that the acceptable fast is not merely abstinence from food or water, but a decision to fully obey God's commands to care for the poor and oppressed. Zechariah, chapter 7:5–10, also repeats this message. The opening chapter of the Book of Daniel, vv. 8–16, describes a partial fast and its effects on the health of its observers.

Benefits of fasting
(verse 8) "Then your light will break forth like the dawn,
and your healing will quickly appear;
then your righteousness will go before you,
and the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard.
(9) Then you will call, and the Lord will answer;
you will cry for help, and he will say: Here am I."

(Isaiah 58:8–9)

Fasting is a practice in several Christian denominations or other churches. Some denominations do not practice it, considering it an external observance, but many individual believers choose to observe fasts at various times at their own behest.[32] The Lenten fast observed in the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Church is a forty-day partial fast to commemorate the fast observed by Christ during his temptation in the desert. This is similar to the partial fasting within the Ethiopian Orthodox Church (abstaining from meat and milk) which takes place during certain times of the year and lasts for weeks. The Bible sets aside one whole day a year for fasting, The Day of Atonement. Leviticus 23:27, 32 (CEV) says "Everyone must go without eating from the evening of the ninth to the evening of the tenth on the seventh month which is the Day of Atonement."

[edit] Biblical accountsMoses fasted for forty days and forty nights, twice back-to-back; the first, immediately before he received the tablets on the mountain with God. And the second, after coming down, seeing the Israelites practicing idolatry, and breaking the tablets in anger. (Deuteronomy 9:7–21)
King David fasted when the son of his adulterous union with Bathsheba was struck sick by God, in punishment for the adultery and for David's murder of Bathsheba's husband, Uriah the Hittite. Nevertheless, the son died, upon which David broke his fast (2 Samuel 12:15–25).
David used fasting as an act of humbling his soul (Psalm 35:13).
King Jehoshaphat proclaimed a fast throughout Judah for victory over the Moabites and Ammonites who were attacking them (2 Chronicles 20:3).
The prophet Joel called for a fast to avert the judgment of God. (Book of Joel 1:14,2:12, 15)
The people of Nineveh, in response to Jonah's prophecy, fasted to avert the judgment of God (Jonah 3:7).
The Jews of Persia, following Mordechai's example, fasted because of the genocidal decree of Haman. Queen Esther declared a three-day fast for all the Jews prior to risking her life in visiting King Ahasuerus uninvited (Esther 4).
The prophetess Anna, who proclaimed the baby Jesus to be the Messiah, prayed and fasted regularly in the Temple (Luke 2:37).
Jesus fasted for forty days and forty nights while in the desert, being tempted by Satan to turn stones into bread and eat them, among other temptations. (Matthew 4:2, Luke 4:2).
Jesus teaches on the outward appearance and demeanor of a fasting person (Matthew 6:16). It is also an assumed action of the believer (see: "And when you pray..." Matthew 6:5 – "When you fast..." Matthew 6:16)
Saul, better known by the Greek variant of his name, Paul, did not eat or drink anything for three days after he converted on the road to Damascus. (Book of Acts 9:9)
The church in Antioch were worshipping the Lord and fasting when the Holy Spirit told them to send Barnabas and Paul for work (Acts 13:2).
Paul and Barnabus appointed elders with prayer and fasting (Acts 14:23).
There are indications in the New Testament as well as from the Didache that members of an Early Christian Church fasted regularly.
[edit] Biblical teachingThe prophet Isaiah chastised the Israelites in Isaiah 58 for the unrighteous methods and motives of their fasting. He clarified some of the best reasons for fasting and listed both physical and spiritual benefits that would result (Isaiah 58:3–13).
Jesus warned his followers against fasting only to make others admire them. He provided practical steps on how to fast in private. (Matthew 6:16–18).
The Pharisees and John's disciples in Jesus' time fasted regularly and asked Jesus why his disciples did not. Jesus answered them using a parable (Matthew 9:14–15, Mark 2:18–20, Luke 5:33–39, see also Mark 2).
In some manuscripts Jesus ascribes the Disciples' inability to cast out spirits to a lack of prayer and fasting.9:29 These, however, are found in the more recent manuscripts and not in the earlier ones. The words "and fasting" are omitted from many modern translations for this reason.