Dake Bible Discussion BoardTHE HOLY SPIRIT'S BODY

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Reuben
Pray Always with All Perseverance for All Saints

Re: THE HOLY SPIRIT'S BODY

Post by Reuben »

If this is the case how does one explain how the "person" of the Holy Spirit is in all believers and exists everywhere??
It has to do with relationship. For example, Paul would say that certain people were in his heart, Jesus would say that the Father was in him and he was in the Father. The following is taken from Dake concerning the Luke 22:3 passage concerning interpenetration.
[into Judas] Satan, as an angel, could not possibly enter physically into Judas, for he has his own personal spirit body as big as a man. The so-called doctrine of interpenetration, that is, persons entering physical into each other, is false. The Bible does speak of the Corinthians and Philippians being in Paul's heart (2Cor. 7:3; Php. 1:7); God being in Christ (2Cor. 5:19); Christ being in God (Jn. 14:20); God and Christ being in each other (Jn. 14:10-11); men being in both the Father and the Son (1Jn. 2:24); men being in Christ (2Cor. 5:17); men and the Spirit being in each other (Rom. 8:9); Christ being in men (Col. 1:27; Rom. 8:10); man and Christ being in each other (Jn. 14:20); all creation being in God (Acts 17:28); and Satan entering into men (Lk. 22:3; Jn. 13:27). However, these passages refer to being in union with, being consecrated to the same end -- one in mind, purpose, and life. They do not teach physical entrance of one being into another. It may be best understood by a man and woman becoming one in life together, being in each other's plans, life, etc. Hence, Satan entering into Judas simply means Judas submitted to Satan's temptation to betray Jesus. He became one with Satan, like men become one in spirit with God when joined to Him in consecration (1Cor. 6:17).
Dake's Annotated Reference Bible.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

DOLPH
NO they do not believe the Father and the Son are both God.their holy spirit is Gods invisible active force.impersonal.an it.
they believe the Father is God.
but the Son they believe is ....a god ....NOT GOD.to them He is Michael the archangel and was created by God in eternity past.He to them is God's Son but not Diety. :agrue:
dolph wrote:Without referring to Dake's God's Plan For Man I believe Dake says that the Holy Spirit has a body, soul and spirit just as His fellow members of the Trinity possess and that all persons/beings possess. Prophet Bob Jones says he has seen the Holy Spirit on many occasions. If this is the case how does one explain how the "person" of the Holy Spirit is in all believers and exists everywhere??

This question came to me after a Jehovah Witness approached me during our family's vacation. They believe the Father and Son are both God and that the Holy Spirit is the spirit of God but not a fellow person of the God Head.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

dolph wrote:So, in what sense are we the temple of the Holy Spirit and sinners demon possessed???
honestly Dolph i dont understand most the mysteries of these things.of course some Pentecostals and Charismatics might differ with Reverend Dake on interpenetration.i do not know.its all way over my head.i know believers have the Holy Ghost and i know some people who i think are demonized.
Reverend Dake's comment above makes good sense.
Last edited by branham1965 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reuben

Post by Reuben »

NO they do not believe the Father and the Son are both God.their holy spirit is Gods invisible active force.impersonal.an it.
they believe the Father is God.
but the Son they believe is ....a god ....NOT GOD.to them He is Michael the archangel and was created by God in eternity past.He to them is God's Son but not Diety. :agrue:
True Billy! I just happened to be reading (in a skimming manner) "The Kingdom of the Cults" with Walter Martin and Ravi Zacharias. Noticed that the JW's have quite a weird take concerning Jesus.

davido
Be Strong in the Power of His Might

Post by davido »

I guess having listened to Derek Price tapes since the 1970's
I knew The Holy Spirit is a person. I too have made copies
of the scriptures by Dake, of the innumerable spriptures that
God, Jesus Christ and The Holy Spirit are persons.
It is important as Spirit filled believers that we get to know
The Holy Spirit, I think, as a person. The Holy Spirit is not a
'thing', but a real person. Their are traits, as found in scripture
of The Holy Spirit, what I would say are traists of His personality.
The Holy Spirit is where Jesus Christ is being glorified,
generally not in structured formats. As we read in scripture
The Spirit has many ways of communicating with the believer.
I have for decades known The Holy Spirit to be a person,
as what I would call a friend. I can't imagine any other relationship than
to know my friend, The Holy Spirit as being anything other than a real
person. I'm sure Dake is also clear on this point, however especially
when I painted the interiors of houses I lived in, I non stop played
Derek Prince tapes over and over and over, and unlike reading
a person really gets to know this. I have posted on my wall next to the
computer Dakes list of the some 26 works of The Holy Spirit.
They are a continual reminder. I assumed everyone knew that,
it would be difficult to imagine The Spirit as being anything other
than a person. He is our link to God, thru Jesus Christ and it
is thru the Spirit that God's answers are brought to us.
Getting to know The Spirt as a person, which He is, is a beautiful
way of life. I just cannot stop talking about the Holy Spirit so
I'll just close here. He is as a part of me, always there.
I always want The Holy Spirit with me, I can't imagine life without
The Holy Spirit, I guess I love Him and He's the most beautiful
friend that I can have forever.

Reuben

Post by Reuben »

Here is a brief summary of what Dake believed on the subject.
The Holy Spirit dwells in men only in the sense of union with, but never by bodily entrance into the human body to live there like an incarnation. God and man are in perfect union and are considered as being one and dwelling in each other.
God's Plan for Man.
IN. This word means “in union with” and when used of persons it does not mean “bodily entrance into,” except in the case of disembodied spirits, or demons. We read of God being in Christ (2 Cor. 5:19) and Christ being in God (Jn. 14:10-11, 20); of man being in Christ (2 Cor. 5:17) and Christ being in man (Rom. 8:10); of man being in the Spirit and the Spirit being in man (Rom. 8:9); and of Satan entering into man (Jn. 13:27); but it never means in these cases “bodily entrance into,” for all these persons have bodies and cannot get inside each other bodily. When Paul said of believers, “I have you in my heart” and “ye are in our hearts” (2 Cor. 7:3; Phil. 1:7), he could only mean “in union with,” not “bodily entrance into.” The Bible doctrine of interpenetration means “the union of two or more persons together for the same end.” Thus, persons can be one with each other to a common end without literally getting inside each other or without being one single person. Being one with and in each other does not depend on bodily contact, or the loss of either personality. Persons can be in each other and one with each other though there are thousands of miles between them bodily.
Men control each other to the extent of oneness with each other. So it is with God and Satan, who control men to the extent of union with them to the same end. Thus, when God dwelled in Christ and Christ dwelled in God, it did not mean they were one person or that they dwelt inside each other bodily. They were one in union—one to the same end, in the same sense that men and Christ, or men and men, dwell in each other. “He that is joined unto the Lord is one Spirit” (1 Cor. 6:17).
God's Plan for Man.
Spirit-beings, including God Himself, cannot be omnipresent in body, for their bodies are of ordinary size and must be at one place at a time, in the same way that bodies of men are always localized, being in one place at a time. God, angels, and other spirit-beings go from place to place bodily as men do, but their presence can be any place in the universe—wherever there are other persons who also have the sense of presence enough to feel the presence of others regardless of bodily distance between them. Christ is a true example of what we mean by omnipresence. He said, “where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them” (Mt. 18:20). In what sense is He in the midst of so many gatherings? This could not mean that He is bodily present, for His body is in Heaven seated at the right hand of God, as twenty-four Scriptures declare (Ps. 110:1, 5; Mk. 16:19; Col. 3:1; Heb. 1:3; etc.).
God personally dwells in Heaven, not everywhere. Jesus addressed His Father and referred to Him as being in Heaven. Eighteen times He said, “Father which is in heaven” (Mt. 5:16, 45, 48; 6:1, 9; 7:11, 21; etc.). Shall we conclude that Jesus did not know what He was talking about? Not one time does one Scripture refer to God as being bodily everywhere. God is omnipresent, but not omnibody; that is, His presence can be felt by moral agents who are everywhere, but His body cannot be seen by them every place at the same time. God has a body and goes from place to place like anybody else.
Presence is governed by relationship, not bodily sight. When the body of a person is not literally present, one cannot say that it is present. The presence of two persons may be felt though thousands of miles may separate them bodily. In such a case, presence consists of union, relationship, memory, acquaintance, and association to the same end in life. The closer two persons are to each other in any relationship, the more they feel each other's presence in their thought lives; so it is with God. God dwells in Heaven and persons on Earth that know Him and are in union with Him in spirit can feel His presence in their lives regardless of where they are on the Earth or under the Earth.
This is what is meant by statements men use to prove that God personally fills the whole of all space and matter. In Ps. 139:7 the psalmist said, “whither shall I go from thy Spirit? Or whither shall I flee from thy presence?” God said to Jeremiah, “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” (Jer. 23:23-24). Paul said, “In him we live, and move, and have our being” (Acts 17:27-28).
We must understand all like passages as teaching the omnipresence of God, but not the omnibody of God. While I write I feel the presence of my wife and children who are hundreds of miles away at this time. They are in my thoughts, my plans, my life, and all that I do. I do nothing without them, yet they are far away. I am building a home for them to move into. I plan for them. I see them in the new home. I experience the thrill of having them with me. They are here in spirit and presence, planning with me, and we are working together to the same end in life. This presence is constant, though distance separates bodily at times. I don't feel the presence of other families I have never met and to which there is no union. If I would become acquainted and closely associated with someone whom I do not now know, I could likewise feel their presence, even though we were sometimes separated bodily. Thus, presence is governed by relationship, not bodily contact only. Man has the same faculty that God has to make his presence felt by others, only it is on a finite scale. God's attribute of presence is infinite, but it works literally on the same principle as that of man. It is governed by relationship and knowledge, as well as bodily sight.
God's Plan for Man.

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

:rainbow1: thanks Reverend Reuben for the information. :Fade-color

Ironman
Fast the Chosen Fast of God... Then Shalt Thou Be Like a Spring of Water, Whose Waters Fail Not

Post by Ironman »

If God has a body, soul and spirit and if there are three distinct persons in the Godhead then each person in the Godhead naturally has a personal body, soul,, and spirit as does each human being. No person can exist without a body or a shape. Even demons, who are classed as disembodied spirits, have shapes and forms. The inner man of each human being has a shape and form which is tangible and real. The divine attributes of the Holy Spirit prove Him to be a real person. He would not have divine atributes if He were not a person. He could not be a person without bodily parts through which these personal powers are manifested. He would have to have a body or He could not manifest Himself and His personal powers in the material world. He could not make Himself be present if there is nothing about Him to make Himself known?

Galatians 4: 16, Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?

branham1965

Post by branham1965 »

:angel: :angel: :angel:
Ironman wrote:If God has a body, soul and spirit and if there are three distinct persons in the Godhead then each person in the Godhead naturally has a personal body, soul,, and spirit as does each human being. No person can exist without a body or a shape. Even demons, who are classed as disembodied spirits, have shapes and forms. The inner man of each human being has a shape and form which is tangible and real. The divine attributes of the Holy Spirit prove Him to be a real person. He would not have divine atributes if He were not a person. He could not be a person without bodily parts through which these personal powers are manifested. He would have to have a body or He could not manifest Himself and His personal powers in the material world. He could not make Himself be present if there is nothing about Him to make Himself known?

macca
Tarry Until Ye Be Endued With Power From On High

Post by macca »

Oky Doky, in light of this discussion what did John mean when he said..
'I WAS IN THE SPIRIT on the Lord's day' ????

macca