Dake Bible Discussion BoardHoly Spirit manifestations

General Discussion Forum devoted to the study of God's Word in Honor of Finis J. Dake.
Jay
2 Thessalonains

Re: Holy Spirit manifestations

Post by Jay »

bibleman wrote:I remember talking to a Voice of Healing evangelist Clifton Erickson a number of years ago. He is the evangelist who held the 30 day revival for Lester Sumrall in the Philippines after the little girl was delivered from devils, as Lester tells about in his "Bitten by Devils" book.

But in our day people "fall out" but nobody gets healed.
Boy, isn't that the truth! Everyone ought to hear about the little girl that was delivered. It made Sumrall a national hero in the Philippines and God was glorified through it!

Hebrews 10:35-36
Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

NineCrows
Esther

Post by NineCrows »

dolph wrote:I was a catcher for a few years in word-faith church but never was slain in the Spirit myself. I asked the Lord about it one night after church and that night dreamed I was slain in the Spirit and couldn't wait to tell my friends after I got up. But it was only a dream and to this day I've never been slain in the Spirit.
I've never been slain in the Spirit yet, either. I had a Pastor try to push me over once, but I'm a pretty stubborn guy...he gave up. :mrgreen:

That's actually beautiful of the Lord to give you that dream, though.

LORD, I believe; help thou mine unbelief. Mark 9:24.

NineCrows
Esther

Post by NineCrows »

Jay wrote:
bibleman wrote:I remember talking to a Voice of Healing evangelist Clifton Erickson a number of years ago. He is the evangelist who held the 30 day revival for Lester Sumrall in the Philippines after the little girl was delivered from devils, as Lester tells about in his "Bitten by Devils" book.

Boy, isn't that the truth! Everyone ought to hear about the little girl that was delivered. It made Sumrall a national hero in the Philippines and God was glorified through it!
Bibleman,
My primary interest is the great Voice of Healing revival of the 40s and 50s. I'd love to hear more about what you've learned from Rev. Erickson, or any other revivalist that you may have spoken to. Maybe you have an article posted somewhere that I could upload? My wife's grandfather was a minor figure in the latter part of the revival: Tommy Gargas. He passed a number of years ago, but if you ever run across his name I'd appreciate any info you could provide about where you saw it (for obvious reasons). He used to minister with Jerry Barnard (who is my wife's great uncle, last I knew he was still on TV).

Jay
2 Thessalonains

Post by Jay »

NineCrows wrote:
Jay wrote:

Bibleman,
My primary interest is the great Voice of Healing revival of the 40s and 50s. I'd love to hear more about what you've learned from Rev. Erickson, or any other revivalist that you may have spoken to. Maybe you have an article posted somewhere that I could upload? My wife's grandfather was a minor figure in the latter part of the revival: Tommy Gargas. He passed a number of years ago, but if you ever run across his name I'd appreciate any info you could provide about where you saw it (for obvious reasons). He used to minister with Jerry Barnard (who is my wife's great uncle, last I knew he was still on TV).
NineCrows have you read "All Things are Possible" by Harrell? I'll have to dig through my Voice of Healing magazines when I get a chance and see if I find his name.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Things-Are-Po ... 777&sr=8-1

Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

bibleman
Administrator

Post by bibleman »

NineCrows wrote:
Jay wrote:

Bibleman,
Hi ninecrows,

Look here on page 12 and you will see a listing of Voice of Healing members in 1954.

http://www.branham.it/joomla/documenti/ ... BRUARY.pdf

I did not see Tommy Gargas's name. BUT he may have been a member before or after this date of this magazine.

As to what I have learned??? Well where would I start? I have spent 100's of hours studying this move of God. They were men just like you and me that God used in a very powerful way.

Now of course I don't know it all... but if you have any questions I would give it my best effort to answer.

God bless
Leon Bible

http://www.ministryhelps.com
http://www.dakebible.com
http://www.dakebibleboard.com
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DakeBibleDiscussion/

The fault in Bible complications is not with God or the Bible, but with men who refuse to believe what God says and think we have to interpret what He says in order to get the meaning. Dake Bible -Mark 11:17 note

NineCrows
Esther

Post by NineCrows »

Jay wrote:
NineCrows wrote:
Jay wrote:

Bibleman,
NineCrows have you read "All Things are Possible" by Harrell? I'll have to dig through my Voice of Healing magazines when I get a chance and see if I find his name.

http://www.amazon.com/All-Things-Are-Po ... 777&sr=8-1
Jay, thanks for the suggestion. "All Things are Possible" is one of my favorite books. I've also read individual biographies on some of the major leaders of the revival, and would recommend "Only Believe" by Don Stewart. Thanks for the offer to search through the Voice of Healing mags, but you won't find my wife's grandfather. He started ministering too late to be featured in them. He was given an old tent once by Rex Humbard (or so the story goes, I've not been able to confirm it). My wife's great uncle is, as I've mentioned Jerry Barnard. He was, and is, a minor televangelist: www.thehorizonchurch.com is a link to his current ministry in Florida. He's getting older now, but was pretty well known when he ministered in California a number of years ago. Be blessed, Brother.

Jay
2 Thessalonains

Post by Jay »

NineCrows wrote: Jay, thanks for the suggestion. "All Things are Possible" is one of my favorite books. I've also read individual biographies on some of the major leaders of the revival, and would recommend "Only Believe" by Don Stewart. Thanks for the offer to search through the Voice of Healing mags, but you won't find my wife's grandfather. He started ministering too late to be featured in them. He was given an old tent once by Rex Humbard (or so the story goes, I've not been able to confirm it). My wife's great uncle is, as I've mentioned Jerry Barnard. He was, and is, a minor televangelist: http://www.thehorizonchurch.com is a link to his current ministry in Florida. He's getting older now, but was pretty well known when he ministered in California a number of years ago. Be blessed, Brother.
I'm familiar with Jerry Barnard and his ministry. I used to watch him on TBN years ago but haven't watched TBN in years now. I didn't realize he was as close to me as he is until I looked at your link to his website.

Too bad you don't have some kind of letter about the tent from Rex Humbard. It is always good to have those stories to pass down through the generations.

I've studied my family's history pretty extensively. The story goes that my 4th great grandfather was George Washington's tailor and he made the General's first uniform. Unfortunately, we can't corroborate this story. We do know that my 4th GGrandfather was born in Ireland in 1740 and came to America in 1760 and fought with George Washington in Valley Forge, PA. We have actual proof of that through military muster cards.

Sometimes there is truth to some of those old legends and sometimes they are tales that grow to be very tall throughout the generations.

In my family's case, my 4th GGrandfather, more than likely came to America as an indentured servant (http://www.amazon.com/White-Cargo-Forgo ... 801&sr=8-3) as so many did from the 16th through the 18th centuries. He was pretty old to be fighting in the Revolutionary War but was ceded land in Virginia after the war. And of course, the story gets much longer after that.

Jay
2 Thessalonains

Post by Jay »

NineCrows wrote: Jay, thanks for the suggestion. "All Things are Possible" is one of my favorite books. I've also read individual biographies on some of the major leaders of the revival, and would recommend "Only Believe" by Don Stewart. Thanks for the offer to search through the Voice of Healing mags, but you won't find my wife's grandfather. He started ministering too late to be featured in them. He was given an old tent once by Rex Humbard (or so the story goes, I've not been able to confirm it). My wife's great uncle is, as I've mentioned Jerry Barnard. He was, and is, a minor televangelist: http://www.thehorizonchurch.com is a link to his current ministry in Florida. He's getting older now, but was pretty well known when he ministered in California a number of years ago. Be blessed, Brother.
I'm familiar with Jerry Barnard and his ministry. I used to watch him on TBN years ago but haven't watched TBN in years now. I didn't realize he was as close to me as he is until I looked at your link to his website.

Too bad you don't have some kind of letter about the tent from Rex Humbard. It is always good to have those stories to pass down through the generations.

I've studied my family's history pretty extensively. The story goes that my 4th great grandfather was George Washington's tailor and he made the General's first uniform. Unfortunately, we can't corroborate this story. We do know that my 4th GGrandfather was born in Ireland in 1740 and came to America in 1760 and fought with George Washington in Valley Forge, PA. We have actual proof of that through military muster cards.

Sometimes there is truth to some of those old legends and sometimes they are tales that grow to be very tall throughout the generations.

In my family's case, my 4th GGrandfather, more than likely came to America as an indentured servant (http://www.amazon.com/White-Cargo-Forgo ... 801&sr=8-3) as so many did from the 16th through the 18th centuries. He was pretty old to be fighting in the Revolutionary War but was ceded land in Virginia after the war. And of course, the story gets much longer after that.

branham1965
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by branham1965 »

I was in Grace Cathedral when i heard Reverend Ernest Angley God's Servant say under God's anointing that he saw in the vision the Holy Ghost Himself LIFTING from many areas in the USA.

Reverend Angley can be a bit controversial.BUT he is one of Bibleman's favorite preachers.

was he right about this?????

Justaned
Little Children, Let No Man Deceive You: He that Doeth Righteousness is Righteous, Even as He is Righteous

Post by Justaned »

Jay wrote:[I believe there is a Biblical example of being slain in the spirit. When the stone was rolled away from Jesus' tomb, the Roman soldiers fell "as dead men".

Matthew 28:4 The guards shook for fear of him and became like dead men.

Roman soldiers didn't just fall down. I was told once by a believer whom I respect highly that I should just yield to the Holy Spirit and go down. Well, God is big enough to knock me down and when He does, I won't have to "fall down" and I won't be able to stand up.

JayMc
Did anyone ever notice at every scripture verse used to support being slain in the spirit always is talking about unsaved being slain.
Case in point the unsaved Roman soldiers.